C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo Trinity question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Martijam1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo Trinity question

I have a Diablo Trinity. I tuned the vet with it when I bought it but after I got a full exhaust I had a professional tuner dyno tune her. With the Diablo I had the torque management turned off and it really woke the vet up. Now that I got the vet back from the tuner it feels as tho it is falling flat on her face until 3000rpm. It wont even powerbrake now. I don't know if he turned the torque management off after returning the original tune to unlock the Trinity. The tuner guy told me not to plug the Diablo into the vet after he got done with it but didn't say why. My question is will it hurt my vet if I plug the diablo into the vet and adjust the torque management?

Thanks in advance

Jim
Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,637 Posts

PM Mike from Diablo ( Mike@DiabloSport ) or Diablow Lew

I am sure they can answer your question for sure but if it was tuned with EFI or HP tuners I don't think you can .. even though you are only turning off TM you are still writing a tune to the ECM ....

Dave
The following users liked this post:
long_tall_texan (07-19-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:49 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Any tune instrument is manipulating the data stored in the ECM which is independent of the tool. As long as that instrument does not use some type of "lock/marrying device" that doesn't allow any other access until it is unlocked/unmarried, then the tool shouldn't matter.

That said, I've only had limited experience with Diablo before leaving it for HPT. I do believe some of these devices such as some DS models and SCT use SW access limits to prevent pirating their SW. I think though, with DS, the lock is in the device and not the ECM. That was the case with the I2. It locked the tool on the first tune and would not tune another ECM until the first original tune was restored to that ECM.

As an example, If I changed MAF ariflow with HPT, for instance, I can change it again with EFI as long as I am following their "credit" protocols.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 07-03-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
As an example, If I changed MAF ariflow with HPT, for instance, I can change it again with EFI as long as I am following their "credit" protocols.
I am pretty sure that you cannot use a Diablo if a tune was done with EFI or HPT due to the way the Diablo writes the tune ...and saves the original tune . Since the tune is not original

I am sure Mike or DiaboLew will chime in

or the OP could just post this in the Diablo forums for a quicker answer

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 07-03-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

This may or may not work, but it brings to light a major point that I often make here.
Our tunes are as thorough or more so than the 'custom tunes' provided by many so called pros. Had he just gone the easy route and read out our tune, he would have seen how we set these cars up for optimal performance and you'd likely be enjoying the tune. Instead, he apparently thumbed his nose at the thought of using a Diablo tune to start, and as a result wound up delivering a sub-par dyno tune that was not likely tested or driven on the street to verify vehicle performance
Old 07-05-2017, 03:55 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

yeah, this was posted, and answered, on diablo's forums too already...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Martijam1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike and 06 MonteSS. This was answered already and thank you. I bought the Diablo to do the tuning myself. Being new to the whole tuning thing, when I bought my headers, xpipe and z06 mufflers I was told to get a tune from when the car was on a dyno to make sure it was tuned for optimum performance and safety. I didn't want to ruin my $40000 vet playing with it. I was unaware at the time that you guys could make a custom tune for me. That would have been great but it still wouldn't have given me any dyno results. The guy I used could have used the Diablo but it would have cost me 3 times as much according to him because of all the time needed for the Diablo to write the tunes. You make a great product but maybe you should work on some instructional material to go with it.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I don't understand ....what instructional material is needed . A Diablo is a tuning tool not a dyno, used by those that don't want to spend 500 to 800 for a Dyno tune and then be locked to that establishment for future tunes ( if they lock the tune as some do )

And if a tuner has the Diablo CMR software he could tune it just as well as anyone with other types of software
Why he would say it would cost you 3 times as much to tune because of the way a Diablo writes a tune is not true

You can get a mail order tune for headers ,intake , CAI and it will get you real close and is real convenient. We all know that these mods will produce 30 to 40 hp gain , would a dyno tune make more ? Maybe but at what cost ...

If you are only making minor mods like headers it works fine , if you are doing heads , cam etc then it is well known that you can't use a Diablo unless your tuner is using Diablo Software

Dave
Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Yeah, theres no reason it would take 3x longer or cost 3x more if using Diablo. Heck, with CMR he could have tuned the car and only charged you for his time, as opposed to the $100 worth of licenses he had to purchase just to get started on the car with the software he used. Does't add up, but the key is you got what you were after and are happy with the outcome

Get notified of new replies

To Diablo Trinity question

Quick Reply: Diablo Trinity question