C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help deciding on tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 09:29 PM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Help deciding on tune

I am wanting to plan ahead on a tune for my 08 LS3. I have a set of Kook's long tube headers with a catted x-pipe and a Varoom CAI. I have not installed any of these items yet so this is a plan for future tuning once they are installed. I'm not sure if I want to remove the ECU and send it out, but might if that is necessary. What if any gains can I expect with a tune and what can I expect to pay for the tune ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Timothy H
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Ecm

Originally Posted by tri08sbc
I am wanting to plan ahead on a tune for my 08 LS3. I have a set of Kook's long tube headers with a catted x-pipe and a Varoom CAI. I have not installed any of these items yet so this is a plan for future tuning once they are installed. I'm not sure if I want to remove the ECU and send it out, but might if that is necessary. What if any gains can I expect with a tune and what can I expect to pay for the tune ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Well after a long debate with myself, research, and talking to Chuck Cow. I pulled the trigger and removed the ecm ( Not that difficult) wrapped it in bubble wrap and off to Chuck it went. I wanted to keep my original ecm so no problem waiting for it.That was last Tuesday so I can't report on the tune yet. But I believe everything will fine. He is now offering a spring special.

Last edited by Timothy H; 03-30-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:44 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Timothy H
Well after a long debate with myself, research, and talking to Chuck Cow. I pulled the trigger and removed the ecm ( Not that difficult) wrapped it in bubble wrap and off to Chuck it went. I wanted to keep my original ecm so no problem waiting for it.That was last Tuesday so I can't report on the tune yet. But I believe everything will fine. He is now offering a spring special.
I guess giving Chuck a call would be a good idea.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:30 AM
anthonylaizure
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to go with a Diablew only because I already have a Diablo i3 handheld from my last car. Eventually, if e85 becomes more popular in my area I'll switch to a dyno tune.

Last edited by anthonylaizure; 03-30-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:23 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonylaizure
Im going to go with a Diablew only because I already have a Diablo i3 handheld from my last car. Eventually, if e85 becomes more popular in my area I'll switch to a dyno tune.
Yep, I will definitely get you hooked up... no need to send out anything anywhere...

Thank you!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Find a local tuner that is familiar with tuning your car/ecu. If they are reputable will be a million times better than anyone remote tuning unless they are remote tuning your car while it's on a dyno.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:10 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IansInGarage
Find a local tuner that is familiar with tuning your car/ecu. If they are reputable will be a million times better than anyone remote tuning unless they are remote tuning your car while it's on a dyno.
There is none in the area that could even find
Old 04-01-2019, 07:27 PM
AznPrswayzn
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Remote tuning is possible without a dyno but, it is a bit of a pain because it requires you to get a wideband o2 sensor and a way to log the data from it to give to the tuner.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:20 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

What do you mean remote tuning is a pain? I have tuned my previous Camaro 2SS and now my Vette with my SCT X4 and it has been very easy to setup. The Camaro got a custom tune from Jannetty Racing when I purchased the SCTX4 and intake. However, when I traded the Camaro in on the Vette I unpaired it and now have the SCTX4 and I laid down a preloaded tune for the moment on the Vette and definitely can tell a difference. Once I get some upgrades I will get a custom tune file from either RDP or probably Jannetty again. The reputable tuners all know what they are doing. This includes the folks that use other tuners like the Diablo or HP. I think it is a great option and having the ability to do your own data logging, as well as setting the tune back to the stock by yourself is a nice feature. If you did much more than bolt ons I would probably go with a local dyno tune, but even then not necessary. Just tell who ever you got the tuner from your plans and they can provide an updated custom tune. Many provide lifetime tunes.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:48 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Actually................

Originally Posted by IansInGarage

Actually................ The vast majority of tuners out there have no clue what they are doing and most learn from reading tuning forums.

There are only a few tuners out there that do mail order tunes..... especially in volume.... and honestly, most are pretty decent.

For most customers, tuning on a dyno.... (or believing that it is somehow better on a dyno) is foolish and most people don't know any better.

This statement is total nonsense..."If they are reputable will be a million times better than anyone remote tuning unless they are remote tuning your car while it's on a dyno."

and shows just how little most people know.

If you want a great tune (and CoW BOOSTER!) that will rival most "professional Dyno Tunes" give me a call.

Don't be fooled into thinking you need a local dyno tune..... I can't tell you how many we re-do for customers.

It sucks spending money twice.

Chuck CoW

When you have a tune from me
Old 04-02-2019, 04:30 PM
AznPrswayzn
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I only meant remote tuning can be a bit of a pain because you need some of your own hardware to interface with the car so you can send logs to your tuner.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:06 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AznPrswayzn
I only meant remote tuning can be a bit of a pain because you need some of your own hardware to interface with the car so you can send logs to your tuner.
Yeah understand that. Though I like having the unit personally. Makes you feel more part of the car. Most of the decent units provide data logging as well, which is nice and being able to read your own codes and clear when necessary is a plus.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:29 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Yes, but...........

Originally Posted by AznPrswayzn

Yes, but........... The tool is YOURS TO KEEP. We provide the tuner and anything you need to make it all work.

It's a full function scan tool when you connect to a laptop and you can do multiple cars with it as well.

It is an AMAZING tool. Simply the inexpensive BEST HANDHELD on the market BAR NONE.

Call any time.
Chuck CoW
Old 04-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Timothy H
Instructor

I received my ECU from Chuck today so now I just need some time to install it. Then I will report back after driving around.
The following users liked this post:
pivette33 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:33 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I received my ECU from Chuck today so now I just need some time to install it. Then I will report back after driving around.
How did it turn out?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Timothy H
Instructor

Originally Posted by SPSandman
How did it turn out?
Nothing to report yet. Put the ECU in with no problems but then changed the thermostat and the housing is leaking. So I need some time to remove it to see why it is leaking. Not in a big hurry because the weather is up and down in Michigan . I can say so far Chuck is good to deal with and answers all my questions so no problem there. Tim
Old 04-14-2019, 11:15 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Nothing to report yet. Put the ECU in with no problems but then changed the thermostat and the housing is leaking. So I need some time to remove it to see why it is leaking. Not in a big hurry because the weather is up and down in Michigan . I can say so far Chuck is good to deal with and answers all my questions so no problem there. Tim
Ok thanks. I am using my SCTX4, but seeing if I have to buy for another Custom Tune, I may look at selling it and then going with another option.

Good luck with the Stat. Yeah crazy yo yo weather all over the place. Looks like I am going to be staying up late to make sure VA doesn't get some late night tornados.

Get notified of new replies

To Help deciding on tune

Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Many people see those tools when they are looking to upgrade.

Ok thanks. I am using my SCTX4, but seeing if I have to buy for another Custom Tune, I may look at selling it and then going with another option.

Good luck with the Stat. Yeah crazy yo yo weather all over the place. Looks like I am going to be staying up late to make sure VA doesn't get some late night tornados.

Many people see those tools when they are looking to upgrade. Return the vehicle back to stock.... Then you can

sell that tool and put the money toward the AutoCal TUNE & CoW BOOSTER! package.

You'll NEVER look back!
Chuck CoW
Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 PM
Timothy H
Instructor

How did it turn out?
Well I was able to fix the thermostat leak. No rain at the moment so I took it for a short ride and yes I would recommend Chuck for a tune. When I receive the AutoCal with the trans tune I'm sure the car will really take off. Thanks Chuck. Very happy I removed the Vitesse throttle controller there is no comparison.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Thank you! We're only half way there so far!

Well I was able to fix the thermostat leak. No rain at the moment so I took it for a short ride and yes I would recommend Chuck for a tune. When I receive the AutoCal with the trans tune I'm sure the car will really take off. Thanks Chuck. Very happy I removed the Vitesse throttle controller there is no comparison.
Thank you! We're only half way there so far!

There is NO COMPARISON to a Chuck CoW TUNE and CoW BOOSTER!

When we're finished with your Engine & Tranny Tune, you WILL BE AMAZED!

Thanks for believing!
Chuck CoW
The following users liked this post:
pivette33 (04-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Help deciding on tune