Notices
C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to Understand DIY Tuning

Old 06-21-2019, 03:47 PM
gpruitt54
CF Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Want to Understand DIY Tuning

• Where can I read about DIY tuning? I am not an auto tech, so I only want to know what I need to know about the process, and not all the auto tech theory. Is this a reasonable expectation with a DIY tune?
  • Once I do this, how much tinkering will I need to do afterwards? I want it to be one-and-done. Don't want to have to fix and mess around to keep things running properly. Is this a reasonable expectation with a DIY tune?
  • Locally, Dyno tunes can be had for 300-600 dollars. If a DIY tune runs roughly the same price (tuning device plus tuning program), why would I not just to a Dyno tune and leave the DIY tune alone?
My car is mostly stock (06 C6 base coupe). I want to remove the throttle body lag, tighten up the trans mission shift points, basically wake up the car.
If this thread is intended for auto techs only, please direct me to the right thread for the novice.

Last edited by gpruitt54; 06-22-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:33 PM
Garymorris
CF Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sign up for HPtuners forum and spend about 6 months reading every noob thead and all the stickies about the basics then start with some simple stuff. The gen 4 motors aren't that hard to do basic work on if you start slow and read before you start changing stuff.
The following users liked this post:
gpruitt54 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:36 PM
Ahrmike
CF Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

What gary said. HPT! I commented on your other thread.

What I noticed with self vs pro tune is this: A pro will know way more about tuning but they'll be able to do a lot less on your particular car. If you learn how to self tune, you can dial in the daily driving/WOT conditions a lot better. I've tuned my car a few times and it seemed to run great until the weather changed and I started getting some knock because of it. You learn a lot about tuning from self tuning too!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:42 PM
gpruitt54
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ahrmike View Post
What gary said. HPT! I commented on your other thread.

What I noticed with self vs pro tune is this: A pro will know way more about tuning but they'll be able to do a lot less on your particular car. If you learn how to self tune, you can dial in the daily driving/WOT conditions a lot better. I've tuned my car a few times and it seemed to run great until the weather changed and I started getting some knock because of it. You learn a lot about tuning from self tuning too!
Thanks! I've registered on the HP Tuner forum. Question from a noob. Can a self tune damage my car?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Garymorris
CF Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54 View Post
Thanks! I've registered on the HP Tuner forum. Question from a noob. Can a self tune damage my car?
Of course it can. With hptuners you are using the same software and doing the same "stuff" that any tuning shop would do so you can absolutely blow it up. Now with a stock NA car and basic bolt ons you have to do something pretty dumb to cause serious damage but it can be done. Now transmission damage is super easy to cause if you just start making random changes or trying to make your 6l80 shift like an old TH400 or shutting off all torque management. They are great transmissions but you need to be careful with how much you change. Mine is taking 650whp/600wtq with no problems and just some basic shift time and pressure changes.

Last edited by Garymorris; 06-25-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:56 AM
gpruitt54
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Garymorris View Post
Of course it can. With hptuners you are using the same software and doing the same "stuff" that any tuning shop would do so you can absolutely blow it up. Now with a stock NA car and basic bolt ons you have to do something pretty dumb to cause serious damage but it can be done. Now transmission damage is super easy to cause if you just start making random changes or trying to make your 6l80 shift like an old TH400 or shutting off all torque management. They are great transmissions but you need to be careful with how much you change. Mine is taking 650whp/600wtq with no problems and just some basic shift time and pressure changes.
In reading other threads about tuning, I hear guys talking about pre-made tunes that seem to be plug-n-play. As I understand it, plug-n-play tunes are made for a specific car, and are uploaded and used as is. As someone looking for a plug-n-play performance enhancement, can I expect this from HP Tuners? Is HP Tuners for professionals?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:38 PM
Ahrmike
CF Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes. HPT will allow you to "email tune" with a professional using HPT just as diablosport tuners will. However, there are probably less people in the business of doing this. There are a lot of good threads on HPT on how to start tuning so if you read it and get a little overwhelmed, take your time and go through it slowly. Its not as hard as it sounds - as long as you're meticulous on what you're adjusting and don't haphazardly change everything. When I got HPT, I literally googled every single switch "what does X in HPT do" and there was almost always a thread and a reply on the HPT forum. It goes a bit slowly but its very interesting. You have complete control and if you screw too much with timing/AF/MAF curves/kncok sensor sensitivity, you can damage your car.

My entire set up cost me 400 for the HPT module and 100 for the credits to tune. If you decide to go DS, i recommend diablew - he has a lot of experience and good reviews. It'll cost you 300-ish for the tuner and another 100 for the tune from him. IIRC, he will help adjust the tune for 6 months or so.

HPT also has amazing datalogging capabilities - DS is not bad, but HPT will give you a full real time readout on your laptop, and the datalogging screen itself is customizable.

Last edited by Ahrmike; 06-25-2019 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gpruitt54 (06-25-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to Understand DIY Tuning

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: