C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GHL's just installed.....WOW!!!!! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:03 PM
C64BC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GHL's just installed.....WOW!!!!! :-)

I just had my GHL's installed this morning, and WOW!!!! Completely contrary to another recent post, I love them!!

I was really nervous after the recent post because i do a lot of Highway driving and was very nervous of the potential for bad resonance (or drone). I will not re-hash the other posters comments, but just give an overview of my install and the sound!

First off, these exhausts are beautifully well made, and the welds and worksmanship are show quality! The installation was done at Curry's auto in VA that specializes in performance and racing teams. When they started my car after the install the guy's in the waiting area exclaimed..."wow that sounds sweeet, what kind of system is that!?" The low bass rumble at idle and low rpm's is absolutely intoxicating!! The sound going through the gears is also amamzing, as well as the sweet looking 4" polished tips. It fills in the back area where there now is no need (or room) for an exhaust plate.

During my 60+ mile drive home i spent most of the time lugging it in 6th gear up and down from 1400-2000 RPM's, in the dreaded range where "drone" was supposed to occur. I even lugged it up and over a 2000 ft small mountain range in 6th gear from 40 mph, and accellerating to 60+...and I tell you guys, it sounds great. Is it louder in the cabin under these circumstances than the stock exhaust?? Absolutely! But no more so than expected with a performance exhaust. I am a musician as well, so i'm familiar with the true nature of "resonance"...and to be honest, from 1500-1600 in 6th gear under load, there is a very little bit. But the very minor resonance i did get was not enough to disturb my radio listening which was at the lowest audible level, and i never had to adjust the radio to cover the exhaust note!

Let's face it, when we really need to accelerate while in 6th gear at 14-1600 rpms, typically i drop down to 5th (or 4th sometimes) to accelerate quickly. I drove my car for 80 miles total this morning, mostly lugging 5th and 6th gear trying to get any resonance or drone. The one time I had a very little (between 15-1600) accelerating up a hill in 6th, was very minor and not an issue at all!

I absolutely love this exhaust. Now i just turn the radio off and finally hear the sweet music i expect when driving my C6. At cruising (flat ground) minimal load the exhaust is barely audible...but definitely more audible than stock- as expected.

I guess everyone's idea of drone or resonance is different. But i have to agree with the forum member from AZ that drove to BG from AZ and had no issues at all.

I love this exhaust and would reccomend them to anyone that loves that ultra low bass rumble, a perfectly engineered exhaust, and a sweet tone at all rpm's and 99.95% resonance/drone free to my ears.

Next to my porterfield racing pads, this is absolutely the best thing i did for my C6.

Brian, Jeff, at GHL...Thanks! I love them!! Just what the Vette Doctor ordered!!!

Last edited by C64BC; 06-23-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:52 PM
hans moleman
Intermediate

glad to hear your happy with your choice...im still undecided on whether to get the GHL's or the B&B bullets
Old 06-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Hampi
Racer

@C64BC:

Which porterfield racing pads have you installed?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:08 PM
VETTPILOT
Intermediate

[QUOTE=C64BC]I just had my GHL's installed this morning, and WOW!!!! Completely contrary to another recent post, I love them!!

I was really nervous after the recent post because i do a lot of Highway driving and was very nervous of the potential for bad resonance (or drone).
During my 60+ mile drive home i spent most of the time lugging it in 6th gear up and down from 1400-2000 RPM's, in the dreaded range where "drone" was supposed to occur.......

I absolutely love this exhaust. Now i just turn the radio off and finally hear the sweet music i expect when driving my C6. At cruising (flat ground) minimal load the exhaust is barely audible...but definitely more audible than stock- as expected.

I guess everyone's idea of drone or resonance is different. But i have to agree with the forum member from AZ that drove to BG from AZ and had no issues at all.

I love this exhaust and would reccomend them to anyone that loves that ultra low bass rumble, a perfectly engineered exhaust, and a sweet tone at all rpm's and 99.95% resonance/drone free to my ears. (QUOTE)

I have to basically agree. I installed mine a couple of days ago and have the same impression. If there is any drone at all it is so small that I probably wouldn't have noticed enxcpt that this came up in a post. What did surprise me though is that they are not as loud as I expected. While they sound very good at start-up and idle, the deep, throaty sound seems to disipate as RPMs increase. Part of it may be that my ears are still trained to the sound of my Indy Pace Cars on my C-5 and I'm ''expecting'' a louder sound. I've noticed that each day they seem to sound a little better to me. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks before doing anything drastic.

Last edited by VETTPILOT; 06-17-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:50 PM
C64BC
Pro

Originally Posted by Hampi
@C64BC:

Which porterfield racing pads have you installed?
The R4-S High Performance Street and Autocross are the ones I have...INCREDIBLE!!!

Check them out here... http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.html
Old 06-17-2005, 10:56 PM
C64BC
Pro

I have to basically agree. I installed mine a couple of days ago and have the same impression. If there is any drone at all it is so small that I probably wouldn't have noticed enxcpt that this came up in a post. What did surprise me though is that they are not as loud as I expected. While they sound very good at start-up and idle, the deep, throaty sound seems to disipate as RPMs increase. Part of it may be that my ears are still trained to the sound of my Indy Pace Cars on my C-5 and I'm ''expecting'' a louder sound. I've noticed that each day they seem to sound a little better to me. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks before doing anything drastic.[/QUOTE]

VETTPILOT, i agree with you on your point. They don't incrementally get louder as you rise in rpm's like some pipes. But they are authoritative, and definitely much much more expressive that stock. I actually didn't mind the stock exhaust sound above 3500 rpm, my main desire was to get great sound at idle and low rpms where the stock C6 is too docile. The low bass rumble of this thing is so intense i don't think a sound clip would do it justice. If people are interested they really need to try and hear one in person.

I'm glad you love yours too. Let us know what other mods are coming for you next.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:49 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

I'm glad you like it. There is no doubt it is a very well made system. It looks almost to good to put under the car. The unit I was sent, installed on my car, had bad drone. Bad enough to tickle my feet at certain RPM's! I wanted to like it but I can't handle ANY drone. I guess I will keep the stock system until I can ride in a car with a system that really has NO drone. What I want may not exsist?

Jerry
Old 06-20-2005, 05:20 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Nice post Butch. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To GHL's just installed.....WOW!!!!! :-)

Quick Reply: GHL's just installed.....WOW!!!!! :-)