C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with front brake cooling duct?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problems with front brake cooling duct?

Anyone else having a problem with the front brake cooling ducts staying in place? It seems they are not attached by any significant means. Looks to be held in place by the rigidity of the plastic inner fender. I had just noticed when I was under the car changing the oil that the one on the drivers side had come completely off the hole in the bottom of the front bumper! Looking inside the wheel well it was slightly out of place and had fallen somewhat down inside the inner fender! These seem to be just slip fit with no significant means holding them in place. I cant imagine how they would not come completely loose at high speeds over 120 or so. Seems to me that just the air pressure entering the ducts at that speed would cause the inner fender to flex allowing the ducts to come loose. Anyone else seen the same thing their car? Is my car missing some type of attachment device to hold them in place?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:16 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by C6400hp
Anyone else having a problem with the front brake cooling ducts staying in place? It seems they are not attached by any significant means. Looks to be held in place by the rigidity of the plastic inner fender. I had just noticed when I was under the car changing the oil that the one on the drivers side had come completely off the hole in the bottom of the front bumper! Looking inside the wheel well it was slightly out of place and had fallen somewhat down inside the inner fender! These seem to be just slip fit with no significant means holding them in place. I cant imagine how they would not come completely loose at high speeds over 120 or so. Seems to me that just the air pressure entering the ducts at that speed would cause the inner fender to flex allowing the ducts to come loose. Anyone else seen the same thing their car? Is my car missing some type of attachment device to hold them in place?
Mine were loose when I took delivery. There are tabs and, if I remember right, the duct rotates a little to lock them in. Haven't had any more problem and it has been 7 months.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:20 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right

I realize there are tabs but, those tabs help keep it attached to the inner fender liner. When pressure is exerted on the tube itself from the front, the inner fender flexes enough to let the front drop off the hole in the bumper. Are these attached in any significant way to the front bumper?

Last edited by C6400hp; 08-23-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I just checked my ducts and since I I reset them, they have not budged. It would appear that the friction fit seems sufficient to hold them in place if they are securely put on in the first place.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:05 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Cool, Thanks
Old 04-08-2018, 11:37 AM
quimbysr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Let's resurrect a 13 yo thread.

Seems like just setting these again worked when new, but on my 90k mile car, I have to reset these things every time I do something near the front wheels; and they're still loose the next time. I have the front apart to replace the radiator support now. Any ideas to keep these in better?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:23 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by quimbysr
Seems like just setting these again worked when new, but on my 90k mile car, I have to reset these things every time I do something near the front wheels; and they're still loose the next time. I have the front apart to replace the radiator support now. Any ideas to keep these in better?
Drill a few small holes in them and zip tie em
Old 04-13-2018, 12:25 AM
SkittlesRgood
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine have one hole you can see when looking from the front of the car, where a Christmas tree clip would go. Apart from that, duct tape or put some screws into it.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with front brake cooling duct?

Quick Reply: Problems with front brake cooling duct?