C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Cold Airbox Save $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 04:38 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I agree that this is the next restriction, but with two feeds, I doubt these are any more restrictive than say the MAF.

If I were buying a unit, it would be the Vortex. But, I decided to save the $$
Old 03-10-2006, 04:17 PM
ShockerRacing
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I just made:

Cost about $75 total with the filters being the majority of the cost!
Old 03-10-2006, 04:19 PM
ShockerRacing
Burning Brakes

I am going to put it on a Dyno and see if I gained anything at all. This will be interesting since that is the only performance mod I have done so far. I will keep you all posted!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:18 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by quickride
Here are a couple of photos of the way SpinMonster modified his air cleaners.

Hey that one above is a copy of mine... but actually mine pulls cold air.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:35 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Hey that one above is a copy of mine... but actually mine pulls cold air.
Don't you mean some cold air? Looks like yours pulls both hot and cold but more hot than cold?

Mike
Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 AM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spin's doesn't have the restriction either.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:56 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
Don't you mean some cold air? Looks like yours pulls both hot and cold but more hot than cold?

Mike
Actually once moving the HPtuners scan shows outside ambient temps as the IAT so at speed its all cold. Yes it does need a cover to isolate the air and that is why I made one.

That picture is old and shows my car the month I bought it. There are lots of changes under there including a cover made from the remains of a black plastic box much like the lingenfelter one. I also have nitrous lines, the fast intake manifold, and some painted mounts like the alternator one. I was just messing around in posting that as a joke that it looked similar and not to spread the word of my air cleaners.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:10 PM
ShockerRacing
Burning Brakes

Sorry for copying !
Old 03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
There are lots of changes under there including a cover made from the remains of a black plastic box much like the lingenfelter one.
I am curious, did you have surging problems before you sealed it off with a cover?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

ttt, by popular demand
Old 05-31-2006, 11:36 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ttt
Old 05-31-2006, 07:40 PM
P-Colavette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just want to say " Thank's "......

To Dave, for giving me the motivation to do this ! I took my time, and by using a heat gun to allow the air bridge to be " stretched ", was able to get my filters to lay down a little flatter into the shroud area. I did this mod in conjunction with installing a set of American Racing L/T's & Cat. Delete, and along with the actual cold air coming into the engine, it appears that my operating coolant temp. is running considerably cooler. With A/C on, and cruise set at 78, ambient outside temp at approx. 95, my car stayed rock steady at 196 deg. sometimes running cooler, down to 192 deg. according to the DIC, but coolant temp. never hotter than 198 deg. and this is with stock T-Stat, as I have not gotten around to buying and Installing a 180 deg. thermostat, which is what my tuner recomends.
I took the car to my tuner after all this was done, however, due to a difficulty in tuning another vehicle, we were unable to actually get my car on his dyno. He did however, hook his laptop up to my car & check the fuel trims, and they were spot-on, showing zero's ! Which meant it was not running too rich, or lean.

Steve.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:46 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I am getting old and it just easier to buy it built. I wish I still had the drive to make items like a CAI.

I envy you guys!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 PM
rappini
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default C-6 cold air mod

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Like I Said in my follow up, I already had gauze filters in the car.

Here are some shots. I'll clean up my cuts, and build an aluminum shroud to seal off the outer edges. And/or, I'm thinking or trimming the area where the outer parts bolt to the primary, therefore narrowing the entire assembly slightly.

Already, it's working well, and I think with a little work, it will be great. I'm running the long course at VIR next month, and if there are any problems, that is where they would happen (nothing will).

Thanks!

http://www.DavidFarmerRacing.com/
David, really interested in your mod but I couldn't open your pictures could be my computer, if you get a chance or even want would you send email to corvette1992@sbclobal.net, or on CF
Old 10-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rappini
David, really interested in your mod but I couldn't open your pictures could be my computer, if you get a chance or even want would you send email to corvette1992@sbclobal.net, or on CF
If this is the 2005 intake, he just flipped it and cut holes in the shroud to let cooler air in to the factory filters.

But the 2005 intake itself has proven to be a restriction once you start modding, so unless you are keeping the car stock, a proper CAI is a better move.

Frankly, this is so old, that since this post people have figured out that the "toggle bolt free CAI mod" is easier, no cutting, and gives the same effect. I'd recommend the toggle bolt mod...search for it.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:50 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I just pushed back the shroud on my '13 and put a piece of threaded rod to hold it open about 4 inches. There were holes in the metal piece that the shroud attached to, so it worked out ok putting the base of the rod in one of them. Could not get the pins out that held the shroud, so just basically tore the shroud loose. Much easier on my '06 taking the pins out, but I needed to put a K&N Aircharger in because the stock filters sucked. No need to replace the new filter, as they copied the K&N and others for stock, so saved $400. No question the outside air gives a ram air effect and will add considerable hp at speed as opposed to the closed box the shroud formed. Still plenty of flow to the condenser/radiator from the air dams. It was cool yesterday, but I noticed the coolant temp was running from 187 to 192 on the highway. Generally, it runs 190-192. Don't know if had anything to do with it, but the kick that comes on just before 5000rpm hit at a lower speed. Total cost: $1.04 and two skinned knuckles.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aaaaa
I did it last night then drove about 50 miles to check it out. First impression is no SOTP difference but i did stop and feel the intake and it was cold. Not cool, but COLD. Everything from the filters to the manifold was cold. This has got to improve performance but not enough that I could sense it. The filters are high enough that I'm not worried about water. In fact they are about the same height as stock just upside down. My only complaint is my workmanship. I am not skillfull enough to have done this well. The shroud is pretty butched up-not something I'm proud of but it was difficult to cut in place.
I'm gonna guess that to get any real gain from this, or the optimum gain you'd have to tune your car afterwards. I suspect it won't be a strong gain.

I did a whole bunch of intake mod'ing and custom tune experimentation, 350 +, on ZX-14, blown 14 and M109's, and once an intake is modded for cooler air, particularly if it is a notable change in volume, less so with just a temp change, a tune was critical.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:47 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any pics of this?

Quick Reply: DIY Cold Airbox Save $$$$