C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky Hatch Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 AM
johnnybegood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Hatch Fix

I notice my hatch sqeaking when it got cold out the other day. So I decided to investigate. I found the source to be coming from the rubber stops rubbing againts the fiberglass on the hatch inner. The rubber stops have threads and are screwed in on the under side of the hatch. It is this area where these threads and the hatch make contact which causes the sqeaks. I fixed the problem by taking the rubber stops out and applying a little lithium grease to the threads. Screwed them back in and the sqeaks were eliminated. I hope this helps.

Last edited by johnnybegood; 11-21-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:15 AM
nalto
Racer

Originally Posted by johnnybegood
I notice my hatch sqeaking when it got cold out the other day. So I decided to investigate. I found the source to be coming from the rubber stops rubbing againts the fiberglass on the hatch inner. The rubber stops have threads and are screwed in on the under side of the hatch. It is this area where these threads and the hatch make contact which causes the sqeaks. I fixed the problem by taking the rubber stops out and applying a little lithium grease to the threads. Screwed them back in and the sqeaks where eliminated. I hope this helps.
Same problem here. I applied lithium grease to the ball joints on the hydraulic hatch struts and the hatch hinges and where the rubber stops contact the fiberglass. It still squeeks a little, did not think about the threaded area of the rubber stops. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:40 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good information. That's what make's this forum great.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I notice my hatch sqeaking when it got cold out the other day. So I decided to investigate. I found the source to be coming from the rubber stops rubbing againts the fiberglass on the hatch inner. The rubber stops have threads and are screwed in on the under side of the hatch. It is this area where these threads and the hatch make contact which causes the sqeaks. I fixed the problem by taking the rubber stops out and applying a little lithium grease to the threads. Screwed them back in and the sqeaks were eliminated. I hope this helps.
Gummi Pflege:
it works great on all the rubber seals including window seals an stops most of the creaking sound int the car. (except the really steep driveways that i have to hit on an angle)
Old 11-23-2005, 02:28 PM
jcgordon
Instructor

Mine is doing that now. I think I'll try your remedy.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 PM
CGH
1st Gear

what's Gummi Pflege ?

my convertible hatch was silent all summer but once the cold weather hit it has become very noisy. I too narrowed it to the rubber stops, applied grease to the black rubber. It helped but no where eliminated the problem.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine turned out to be the hinges themselves. Sprayed with silicone.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:54 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CGH
what's Gummi Pflege ?

my convertible hatch was silent all summer but once the cold weather hit it has become very noisy. I too narrowed it to the rubber stops, applied grease to the black rubber. It helped but no where eliminated the problem.
It's a weather strip dressing made in Germany, I ordered it on Amazon works great and is cheap. One bottle should last years even applied on several cars annually.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 AM
ferdthe4
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure to re torque the pins on your top lubing all the weather seals on the top, and re tightening the hinges and pins helped mine a lot. Still get some squeaking and creaking here and there, but it helped a ton.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaky Hatch Fix

Quick Reply: Squeaky Hatch Fix