C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control - intermittent...

Old 05-02-2006, 03:06 AM
nowheelie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cruise control - intermittent...

Just wanted to post up some info regarding my cruise control "issue" (read: user cause) and possible solution.

I have a 2005, mn6, z51, cags, removed clutch pedal springs.

For about 6 months I noticed my cruise control wasn't always able to stay on. It would activate, then shortly thereafter disable. Sometimes I couldn't get it to activate at all.

Last year I had a check-engine light come on due to a cruise control malfunction. Dealer replaced the clutch switch. (at that time this didn't click in my head).

Recently, I had a check-engine again, and onstar notified me it was related to cruise control, which might not function. That's when my slow brain realized, "DUH, cruise control is disabled if/when the brake and/or clutch pedals are pressed."

In my service manual I looked at the diagram for the clutch-pedal cruise control switch, and it's at the top of the pedal, and it's a simple press switch.

Test drive - cruise control not working, use my left toe to pull the clutch pedal to me (same as if my clutch springs were in place), and try cruise control again - and it works. Try it several times, keeps working. Remove my toe...cruise disengages (I of course and watching the road, not my toes, though admittedly they're nice toes). I do this toe test several more times. It's consistent.

My clutch pedal has an every slight amount of play (say 1mm soft springiness) with foot off. I guess the clutch-pedal switch isn't being pushed JUST enough. So I put a 1.5mm shim at the switch-to-clutchpedal interface. Cruise control back in action...and consistent. The intermittent cruise control coincideded with my clutch-pedal spring removal (or closely).

I'm going to monitor it for the next year to see if I get a check-engine related to my cruise control, or maybe the switch was intermittent that the cars brain (bcm?) decided "switch must be failing if it's so intermittent, I'll just let the driver know."

Just wanted to pass this lack-of-clutch-spring-cruise-controlfunk on.

It's all good for now.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:30 AM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

It's like my co-workers say... I found the problem between the keyboard and the chair.

Glad it was so easy to remedy.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:30 AM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I have/had the same exact problem. Took it to the dealer, they said they adjusted the clutch something or other. I got my car back and the same thing happened two days later. The clutch was engaged which in turn caused cruise not to work. Once i began lifting the clutch up with my foot everything started working again.

Check the link below.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=562
Old 05-03-2006, 01:14 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

"removed clutch pedal springs" How about re~install the clutch return spring? DUH!

I get a kick out of people on this forum that think they know more about a car than the manufacturer does...
Old 05-03-2006, 02:11 AM
nowheelie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
"removed clutch pedal springs" How about re~install the clutch return spring? DUH!

I get a kick out of people on this forum that think they know more about a car than the manufacturer does...
Nah - that'd be counter to how I like the current clutch pedal feel.

DUH! I get a kick out of people on this forum who can't fathom peoples preferences.

(though, I was thinking of installing a return spring, but a linear one)

Get notified of new replies

To cruise control - intermittent...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cruise control - intermittent...