C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Lockout failed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:14 AM
PJinNJ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Lockout failed

This weekend while driving on the interstate I went to shift into 5th and all I got was grinding. I quick tried to pull back to 6th and it wasn't there. Turns out that the reverse lockout failed. Carefully shifted until I got it home and then off to the dealer this evening. Anyone else have this happen before?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:23 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by PJinNJ
This weekend while driving on the interstate I went to shift into 5th and all I got was grinding. I quick tried to pull back to 6th and it wasn't there. Turns out that the reverse lockout failed. Carefully shifted until I got it home and then off to the dealer this evening. Anyone else have this happen before?

The reverse lock out is like a safety on a gun, its your last not first line of protection. Not trying to be a wise guy, but you should know by feel where the gears are, unless your in a hotly contested race.

With that said, its time to see the dealer.
Question have you recently put on a skip shift eliminator and somehow unhooked the reverse poretction by accident.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:42 AM
PJinNJ
Racer

Default Nope

Nope, not at all, I have had a Hurst shifter and the gears all feel gated and so much so that I don't feel them just shift. Not a single issue for the first 17,067 miles of my skip shift mod. I'll see what the dealer has to say.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:35 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PJinNJ
Nope, not at all, I have had a Hurst shifter and the gears all feel gated and so much so that I don't feel them just shift. Not a single issue for the first 17,067 miles of my skip shift mod. I'll see what the dealer has to say.
It will be interesting to see if the dealer blames the Hurst shifter.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:52 PM
zach lawrence
Racer

Nope. It's not your fault, and an experienced driver can't "know where the gates are" with respect to reverse. I know. It happenned to me. (by the way, I am a past SCCA CenDiv champ, so I think I get a say on shifting manual transmissions in extreme conditions).

It turns our that there is a solenoid on the transmission that locks out reverse if you are moving. If this fails, and remains open when moving, you can easily find reverse when you are looking for fifth gear. No way to avoid it.

The fix is to replace the solenoid. That's the good news. The bad news is that they have to drop the exhaust (I believe) and the rear suspension (I know) to get to it. GM knows about the problem, and it's a warranty fix.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:40 PM
PJinNJ
Racer

Default Well

Thanks, I know it wasn't really me, too many years behind me but I know that machines sometimes fail and we accept that. It's at the dealer now and they haven't yet called me but I'm sure I'll hear something soon. The one issue I do have is that there is nothing to let you know this unit failed. Oh well, we accept the risks and grow in expierence. I'll update ya all soon enough. P
Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this same problem. I have not had time to get it to the dealer to get it and multiple other small things fixed. Mine does it on what seems to be random occasions, it was just not a one time thing. It's very annoying.

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse Lockout failed

Quick Reply: Reverse Lockout failed