C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lean question... Important, please read!!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Bluedevil3
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean question... Important, please read!!!!

I have a 2006 C6 manual... About 6,000 miles ago I put the new Vararam intake, a vararam throttlebody spacer, and a B&B bullet exhaust, only those 3 mods (and a 160 degree thermo stat). Every since i put those 3 mods on my check engine light has stayed on. Today i got an OBDII code checker and there are four codes on, the P0171 code twice and the P0174 code twice. According the manual those codes mean my car is running "too lean"... My question is does this sound normal? And can i fix this without getting a tune? Lastly will this brake my car or void my warranty? Any input would be great!!! thanks in advance, Jarrod... (car runs great by the way)
Old 11-02-2006, 03:52 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 11-02-2006, 04:10 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't see how those three things would cause the car to run lean.None of them will void your warranty.Go to the dealer and see what's up.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Dgatto
Pro

Originally Posted by jesse12804
I don't see how those three things would cause the car to run lean.None of them will void your warranty.Go to the dealer and see what's up.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:22 PM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jesse12804

I also have B&B Bullets, a Vararam intake and a throttle body spacer. I have had no problems.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Bluedevil3
8th Gear

ok thanks everyone... Iam going to make an appiontment with the dealer...
Old 11-02-2006, 05:20 PM
chempowr
Racer

Will you let us know what is going when you find out?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluedevil3
ok thanks everyone... Iam going to make an appiontment with the dealer...
Unless your dealer is "one of the good ones", I'm sure they will tell you those mods are the problem. Since you have been living with the codes for a while anyway, I would do this instead....erase the error codes with your code reader and see if they return....which I'd bet they do not.

I think this might save you some aggravation. If there is truely something wrong with your car or the computer, the codes will return and then I would take it to the dealer at that time.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Unless your dealer is "one of the good ones", I'm sure they will tell you those mods are the problem. Since you have been living with the codes for a while anyway, I would do this instead....erase the error codes with your code reader and see if they return....which I'd bet they do not.

I think this might save you some agrevation. If there is truely something wrong with your car or the computer, the codes will return and then I would take it to the dealer at that time.
That makes sense too!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi

I think this might save you some aggravation. If there is truely something wrong with your car or the computer, the codes will return and then I would take it to the dealer at that time.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Miaugi

Sounds like the right answer to me.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Bluedevil3
8th Gear

I made an appointment with the dealer for next week... I ve called every performance shop i can think of including Vararam. Unfortunately Vararam didn't answer but iam sure they will call me back, they are great guys. The shops I called said, do not make an appointment with the dealer, wait until you talk to Vararam and see what they say. Otherwise your car will be red flagged. So Iam going to wait until Vararam calls me back.. thanks again for all the input everyone, will keep posting... Jarrod
Old 11-02-2006, 05:51 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

most likely you have leak in your intake area, my guess is it is after the maf, if that is the case, my money is on vararam spacer. if the code has been with you for 6000 miles, by deleting it and do nothing, it will just come right back, but i guess you have nothing to lose at this point. your maf is reading lower then what the o2 says, which cause your pcm to add additional fuel, that is why you are getting the lean code, this would be my best guess. good luck.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I agree an intake leak is the likely culprit.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:27 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrf4i1
most likely you have leak in your intake area, my guess is it is after the maf, if that is the case, my money is on vararam spacer. if the code has been with you for 6000 miles, by deleting it and do nothing, it will just come right back, but i guess you have nothing to lose at this point. your maf is reading lower then what the o2 says, which cause your pcm to add additional fuel, that is why you are getting the lean code, this would be my best guess. good luck.

That spacer is kinda shaky in its' design and I would try there first. You could have a bad O2 sensor, by the way.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
I agree an intake leak is the likely culprit.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by cbrf4i1

If you want to know for sure take a sensor safe spray cleaner and spray it around the vararam spacer........ if the rpm go up when you spray.... you have found your leak.

Get notified of new replies

To lean question... Important, please read!!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 06:27 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"P0174 OBD-II Trouble Code

Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 2 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 2 is generally the side of the engine that doesn't have cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0171, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

A code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

[b]The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty[/b[. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled

There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

Possible solutions include:

...cleaning the MAF sensor.. ..

... take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...gen-sensor.php "
Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 AM
I1uluz
Instructor

Check around the bottom of the TB and the fresh air line going to the valve cover for leaks.

You can also use an unlit butane torch, while the car is running open it up just enough to get a good hiss and then move it around the area you think have the problem. The RPM's will increase once you find the leak. Also no mess from spraying all over the place.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:03 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have a vacuum leak down stream of the MAF sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lean question... Important, please read!!!!