C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf screen observation

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 07:30 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default maf screen observation

i know the screen-in screen-out has been beat to death but one thing i have observed is the 'lack of a pi' to address the issue, for whatever that means.

for example, a number of us have had issues with the clutch pedal spring. some of ours broke, fell out or were removed by the owner. shortly thereafter a pi began circulating informing dealers of the 'mod' and that 'clutch related warantee' work could be denied it it was found that the clutch spring was removed.

i have found it interesting that we have not seen a similiar pi related to maf screen removal. hhmm... makes me wonder.. if gm knew it would cause issues they would release a doc. telling the dealers to check for screen removal, stating the potential for engine damage, etc. but we haven't seen anything along those lines. does this imply that it is an acceptable mod. in gm's eyes ????
Old 11-24-2006, 07:51 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default does this imply that it is an acceptable mod. in gm's eyes ????

No. People do all sorts of crazy things to their cars. GM does not attempt to address each of these modifications.

The MAF screen is there to increase the accuracy of the sensor.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)

Originally Posted by calemasters
No. People do all sorts of crazy things to their cars. GM does not attempt to address each of these modifications.
i agree, folks do all sorts of crazy things to their cars. however, i find it interesting that when gm feels a mod will lead to failure they publish a doc letting the dealers/techs know to watch for it.

maybe i should ask, does this imply that gm acknowledges that screen removal does not cause any issues to be concerned with ?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:01 AM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HITMAN99
No.
is this a type of mod that would immediately question warantee validity ?

have they determined that damage can occur such as that compared to removal of the clutch pedal return srping ?

they issued a doc concerning the 'spring' and potential damage to the hydraulic system. if a car was brought in with clutch/tranny issues would one immediately suspect the spring ? is there the potential for damage with the screen removed that gm and or the techs would automatically disqualify vehicle engine repair ?
Old 11-24-2006, 01:39 PM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put yourself in a GM Service Manager's shoes. A customer comes for warranty work with piston damage. Was it because a bolt got sucked into his engine, or because it ran so lean it burned a hole in the piston? Either way, if I were the Service Manager I'd start looking for mods.

Get notified of new replies

To maf screen observation

Quick Reply: maf screen observation