C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race tire for streets/Hoosier A6

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:07 AM
SSJCreeper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race tire for streets/Hoosier A6

Anyone out there running Hoosier A6 tires? They are suggested for off-road only... anyone actually try these on the streets?
Old 11-25-2006, 12:36 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Doug,from what I'm reading in the "Tire Rack" info on the tires,it says in bold letters"NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE"
The look cool,but maybe someone who is usung them can tell You more!!
I think some "fat" reg. tires will get You the traction You want!
i'm using 325/25/20 ps'2,and they hold my maggie TQ pretty well!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:12 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

"The HRE wheels sport Hoosier road race slicks that we had grooved for street use by Roger Krause Racing. They are absolutely amazing. I drove the car one time and immediately ordered a set of the Hoosiers for mine. I can't tell you how impressive these tires are!"

This is from Andy at A & A corvette...
Old 11-25-2006, 11:26 AM
SSJCreeper
Pro

Well, I picked up a set of Z06 wheels with some slightly used Hoosiers on them. At first I intended to order up PS2's to immediately replace them - but I'm wondering if I can get by with Hoosiers on the streets. It sure looks mean as hell seeing race-slicks under the car.

I figured a few things could make these work for me:
1) I do not drive if there's a hint of inclement weather (that includes rain) and I understand these tires will need some heat before they will deliver their grip.
2) I'm a fairly experienced, yet largely conservative driver on the streets. I've had many a hot car and I can respect what a mean car with cold tires could possible do. I've also owned a few sport bikes in my day. I have a good feeling that these tires could behave alot like cold, wet, or worn tires on a sportbike.
3) My annual mileage is <2k, limited to mostly cruise-ins or club meets.
Sound reasonable - or am I totally crazy for trying to run these on the streets?
Old 11-25-2006, 12:36 PM
UberR32
Pro

R compounds lose a bit of traction after 5-10 heat cycles, and get pretty hard after 40 or so. BTW, a heat cycle is defined as taking the tire from cold to operating and back to cold. Thus, IMO, it's a bad idea.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:37 PM
UberR32
Pro

oh yeah, you'd get sick of the pinging rock sound on the inner fenders pretty quickly.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:48 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UberR32
oh yeah, you'd get sick of the pinging rock sound on the inner fenders pretty quickly.
I ran some Pirrelli race tires once. ping ping ping, all day long. No thanks. I don't think they would be unsafe especially if you are not driving in the rain. But I really don't see much need for race rubber on the street.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:51 PM
SSJCreeper
Pro

Originally Posted by shurite44
I ran some Pirrelli race tires once. ping ping ping, all day long. No thanks. I don't think they would be unsafe especially if you are not driving in the rain. But I really don't see much need for race rubber on the street.

Thanks guys. Didn't give it thought that I'll be slinging up bits of rock and gravel all day - no thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To Race tire for streets/Hoosier A6

Quick Reply: Race tire for streets/Hoosier A6