C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buring oil smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:13 PM
srpbaer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buring oil smell

I am noticing a burnt oil smell into the car after I take it up a few rpms. By that I mean if i "nail it" but not all the way but fairly spirited and after i let off i smell the smell. No signs of leaks at the valve covers or anywhere else. No blow back under the car..I am thinking mabe a rear main seal or something like that. No spots on the garage floor either...Any ideas???
Old 11-26-2006, 09:25 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If it's new or a few months old then it's normal. Just paint and normal heat smell, it'll get less with time and then stop.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
srpbaer
Pro

Originally Posted by VET4LES
If it's new or a few months old then it's normal. Just paint and normal heat smell, it'll get less with time and then stop.
I wish i could agree with you but that is not what i supect..The reason is i did have the routine break in odors...This is only when i reach higher rpms and definitely oil burning...I drove race cars for years and that is one smell you can't mistake...I really should have asked any ideas of where it could be coming from rather than what is the smell. Sorry i was not real clear in my first post. Thanks anyway
Old 11-27-2006, 01:09 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine gives a good stink if I do a WOT blast on the freeway or the last main street before I turn into residential street and park in the garage. My car has 33,000+ miles. Should I be concerned?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The rear creates a vacuum sucking fumes from your after burners back into the cabin, Mine still does it.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:01 AM
4evervette
Pro

i have noticed athe same on my new c6 and it still do the same every time a go WOT...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:05 PM
k-line
Racer

I get the same thing durring hard driving. A oil catch can would more than likley solve the problem. I get oil in the intake manifold through the pvc. Pull the TB and see if there is oil residue.

Get notified of new replies

To Buring oil smell

Quick Reply: Buring oil smell