C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plating/coating Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Plating/coating Rotors

I am sick and tired of the rust that comes out of my OEM rotors (z51) when I wash the car.

Aftermarket two peice rotors are about 700.00 a set.

Anybody have any luck zinc plating the stock rotors? Does it stop the rust inside the vanes? How should you prep them for plating? bead blast, dip....

I have 5000 miles on them and some track days and they are still fine.

I gotta get a solution to this and any first hand experiences would be great.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:12 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

ttt
Old 12-05-2006, 02:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
I am sick and tired of the rust that comes out of my OEM rotors (z51) when I wash the car.

Anybody have any luck zinc plating the stock rotors? Does it stop the rust inside the vanes? How should you prep them for plating? bead blast, dip....

Take a look at this old thread:

Old Thread About Zinc Washing Rotors

I think C6FirstVette's post should tell you all you need to know about how to do it!

Bob
Old 12-06-2006, 12:24 AM
torch2000vert
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set at the platers now. will post pics when done $95 in silver/clear zinc plating. The plater blast and prep them. I have done other rotos with good results, and it does get into veins etc.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:40 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by torch2000vert
I have a set at the platers now. will post pics when done $95 in silver/clear zinc plating. The plater blast and prep them. I have done other rotos with good results, and it does get into veins etc.

...just make sure the plater fully understands and agrees that his prep work is what makes or breaks this.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:24 AM
BernieR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Los Angeles PI.....

I'm a metallurgist....Have worked as a plating enginneer years ago when I was a grad student, in Cambidge MA., so this is my take.

In my opinion, nickel plating is the way to go, especially if you live in an area where corrosion is an issue....or you part the car outside and don't drive it at least three times a week.

Another view is that if you use the car a lot, rust (Limonite as opposed to Fe3O4) will not have a chance to nucleate/form/occur....

Prepping to insure adherent Nickel plating, which deoesn't fail from subequent bond-line defects, may be a PIA depending on how corroded rotors are now...this is best done when new...unfortunately this may not be the case.

Take care man.

Bernie
[/U]
Old 12-06-2006, 11:14 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BernieR

Hi Los Angeles PI.....

I'm a metallurgist....Have worked as a plating enginneer years ago when I was a grad student, in Cambidge MA., so this is my take.

In my opinion, nickel plating is the way to go, especially if you live in an area where corrosion is an issue....or you part the car outside and don't drive it at least three times a week.

Another view is that if you use the car a lot, rust (Limonite as opposed to Fe3O4) will not have a chance to nucleate/form/occur....

Prepping to insure adherent Nickel plating, which deoesn't fail from subequent bond-line defects, may be a PIA depending on how corroded rotors are now...this is best done when new...unfortunately this may not be the case.

Take care man.

Bernie
[/U]

Thats very helpful, thank you.

Now what about heat? Nickel sounds good but with hard use, rotors will glow orange with heat, up to 800 degrees I am told.

So which would continue to adhere at hight heat the best?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:41 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

You'll be able to see mine @ the Block of Orange or at Hooters on Dec.17th.

Sparky
Old 12-06-2006, 04:54 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

there have been several threads about this...i may do it one day too
Old 12-26-2006, 11:52 PM
torch2000vert
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got Mine Done, Came out great

Old 12-27-2006, 12:41 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Cadmium plated Z51's:

Old 12-27-2006, 04:15 AM
BernieR
Racer

Default Nickel plating most stable at high temps; Fussy wrt surface prep.

Thats very helpful, thank you.

Now what about heat? Nickel sounds good but with hard use, rotors will glow orange with heat, up to 800 degrees I am told.

So which would continue to adhere at hight heat the best?
Good Morning Los Angeles PI,

All plating techniques discussed, Cadmium, Zinc, Chrome, Nickel....look better than stock and prevent rust.

However, the most stable wrt to high temps, such as race applications would be nickel, by far.

Unfortunately, however, nickel plating requires the cleanest substrate condition (i.e.clean suface preparation) compared to the others to avoid bond-line defects and subsequent spallation or lifting.

Bottm line. If yoou have new rotors or can really get good surface prep, PRIOR, to application of plating....then Ni plate is the way to go.

However, most commercial electroplationg shops will steer you away from Nickel becuase it's more fussy....but if you get it (Ni plating) you'll realize this technique's inherent superiority compared to other techniques wrt corrosion and oxidation resistance.

Best Regards,

Bernie
Old 12-27-2006, 09:23 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I bought a set of zinc plated for one of my other cars. 6 months later, no rust.

I have Baer (2 peice) on my Corvette, no rust.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:39 AM
BernieR
Racer

Default timid38...there's a reason...

Originally Posted by timd38
I bought a set of zinc plated for one of my other cars. 6 months later, no rust.

I have Baer (2 peice) on my Corvette, no rust.
Dear timid38,

No rust yet in Michigan and I bet you don't drive on salted roads after ice/snow. Right?
And...

There's a difference in ambient conditions wrt corrosion in Gloucester MA (Atlantic Ocean) Morehead City NC (ditto) and Bayou La'Batre AL (Gulf of Mexico)...as examples...compared to Michigan.

My point here, was and is...that corrosioon and oxidation resistance is maximized with Ni plating compared to the other plating methodologies. Period.

Now maybe, where you live you don't need the ultimate...most of the Forum bretheren don't.

I have had 3 sets of Baer Eradispeeds on various Vettes and One set of Alcons (more expensive but they were matched ot 6 piston calipers_.....not much rust either...but...

But since I drive so much (85-90K miles/year, my rotors don't get a chance to rust....However, aftermarket centers of the Brembo A/M rotors on my Subaru STI lool like $HIT in comparison...Go figure!?!

Oh well, "ya pays your money and youse takes your chances"

Best Regards,

Bernie

Last edited by BernieR; 12-27-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM
saber
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Bernie:
How does this plating effect the friction surface of the rotor?
The Ni, chrome, zinc or whatever couldn't be a good thing for the friction surface.
I could see using a metallic pad to wear the plating off then change pads.
Any comments?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Originally Posted by saber
Bernie:
How does this plating effect the friction surface of the rotor?
The Ni, chrome, zinc or whatever couldn't be a good thing for the friction surface.
I could see using a metallic pad to wear the plating off then change pads.
Any comments?
Any plating will wear off the contact surface during the first few braking sessions, no matter which pads you have.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:27 AM
BernieR
Racer

Originally Posted by TommyV
Any plating will wear off the contact surface during the first few braking sessions, no matter which pads you have.
You make a good point....but...

The centers won't Tommy, neither will the holes.

Take care 'bro

Bernie

Get notified of new replies

To Plating/coating Rotors

Old 12-27-2006, 01:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieR
Good Morning Los Angeles PI,

All plating techniques discussed, Cadmium, Zinc, Chrome, Nickel....look better than stock and prevent rust.

However, the most stable wrt to high temps, such as race applications would be nickel, by far.

Unfortunately, however, nickel plating requires the cleanest substrate condition (i.e.clean suface preparation) compared to the others to avoid bond-line defects and subsequent spallation or lifting.

Bottm line. If yoou have new rotors or can really get good surface prep, PRIOR, to application of plating....then Ni plate is the way to go.

However, most commercial electroplationg shops will steer you away from Nickel becuase it's more fussy....but if you get it (Ni plating) you'll realize this technique's inherent superiority compared to other techniques wrt corrosion and oxidation resistance.

Best Regards,

Bernie
My understanding for effective stopping power, the platting must be removed or be warn off the fire path. ( brake pad rotor contact area)

Under racing conditions the rotors will upto 1400* F ( ornage glow) and 1500-1600* ( white glow).
Old 12-27-2006, 03:50 PM
aTX427

I used high temp paint. They still look as good as new after 9 months. However, I do not drive in the rain and live in a warm climate.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:59 PM
BernieR
Racer

Default NiO and Ni2O3 adherent at high temps

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
My understanding for effective stopping power, the platting must be removed or be warn off the fire path. ( brake pad rotor contact area)

Under racing conditions the rotors will upto 1400* F ( ornage glow) and 1500-1600* ( white glow).
Hi AU N EGL,

Nickel Oxide should adhere well at these temps...surface will respond like a passivated stainless steel from a coefficient of friction point of view. This means that a stable oxide, unlike Limonite or Fe3O4 (both varieties of "rust" will be on the suface.

The predominant oxide NiO or Ni2O3 will be tight and adherent as opposed to the aforementioned Limonite (orange) or Fe3O4 (brown) oxides. Also Nickel oxide is more adherent than Cr2O3 or other metallic oxides. Therefore, Nickel will form this desirebale passivation layer and keep a stable color. I.E., good color and good coefficient of friction.

Bottom line. Other platings will be less adherent and may rub off once hard/aggressive/frequent racing application type braking is applied . Ni and subsequent Nickel oxides wont..

However, as previously mentioned, Ni is a PITA to apply becuase of substrate prep requirements. That's why most commercial plating shops will steer you away from this methodology or charge outrageously!

Later,

Bernie

Quick Reply: Plating/coating Rotors