C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Shift kit for A4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:52 AM
landry2756
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shift kit for A4?

Does anyone know of a "shift kit" or a Mod for the A4 automatic transmission? I would like a firmer, quicker shift is possible with this transmission.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:00 AM
xtacy187
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by landry2756
Does anyone know of a "shift kit" or a Mod for the A4 automatic transmission? I would like a firmer, quicker shift is possible with this transmission.
The shift-kit TransGo makes for the 4L60e should work perfectly with your A4 automattic assuming you still use the stock A4 C6 trans (4L65e)..
Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
backinblackC6
Instructor

Get a tune !!!! Mail order from CoW will work great, it did for mine. Shifts are strong and fast...
Old 01-15-2007, 07:10 PM
mo-shy
Pro

Originally Posted by backinblackC6
Get a tune !!!! Mail order from CoW will work great, it did for mine. Shifts are strong and fast...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
landry2756
Heel & Toe

Will this computer tune up replace the shift kit? Or get both of them?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:31 PM
C6Rluvur
Burning Brakes

The only problems w/after market tunes for firming up shift points, is it actually can make the car dramatically slower, real experience here on my 2005 A4 C6, tuner shall remain un-named, tuned the trans & car in general,..

Felt awesome, kicked down to gears really quick giving a no lag shift pattern stepping on the gas meant instant downshift felt great, here's where it sucks!!!

I ran a buddy who owns a Mercedes E55 w/Supercharger, on closed old runway strip, we've ran the 2 cars 30 + times w/my C6 always beating his by 3+ car lengths, directly after tune, we raced same place, same conditions, same cars, exact, except for my new tune, C6 felt like a runner, we lined up, my buddy's E55 beat me everywhere down low, up top!!! I lost by 5 plus lengths from a dig!!!! before I'd win by 3+,

then on a roll same thing me losing by multiple lengths, I was pissed!!

Took the C6 back had it re-flashed to stock, we ran again same day, now I beat him again back like I used to?? we even traded cars before & after to make sure there was no driver differences, none what so ever..

Summation, although the tune makes the car behave like a beast, slamming thru the gears, I believe the re-mappedd shift tune doesn't hold you in the power band long enough in each gear, making you loose by short shifting to fast, I don't think my tuner was the problem, he's from a very well known Vette shop here on the boards, dyno tuned, and road tuned my C6..

I think the factory shift points are set optimally for perf, and re-mapping them just screws you up, unless you like feeling like your fast but in reality extremely slower...The only answer in my book is mod for more HP, or better yet get 3.90's from COW

Yes COW's trans tuning is needed w/new gears, but I'm sure only to reset rpm levels, not necessary to firm up shift patterns..

Take it for what it's worth just my personal experience, maybe yours will vary...
Old 01-16-2007, 10:11 PM
landry2756
Heel & Toe

So it sounds like to me I would be better off just getting a shift kit to make the shifts firmer and quicker with less slippage? Hopefully by leaving the computer alone on the shifting, it won't slow me down on ultimate performance...... I would like to have a computer tune-up if it would make the engine run better with more torque in the lower part of the power band without losing overall performance....I would like to put some headers on it at some point, maybe I should wait until I do that before tuning the computer? Do you have an opinion on the best headers for the money?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 PM
backinblackC6
Instructor

Give Chuck at CoW a call. He has built the A4 transmission for years. He can guide you in the right direction.

As for the car getting slower after the tune, I guess it is possible and the former thread is proof of that. Mabye he had a bad tune, but from what I have read on the forum, a tune is the way to go without having to open your tranny and some of the posts have 1/4 mile times to prove it helps.

Good luck in your decision. IMO..Get all the info you can before opening that tranny.

Check out the thread...just a tune worth it....in this section.

Last edited by backinblackC6; 01-16-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Red903L
Pro

Originally Posted by backinblackC6

Had mine dyno-tuned and during the session, the technician adjusted the transmission shift points and it shifts FAST & POSITIVE now! The really great thing about getting it tuned in this manner, is that the operator can make other adjustments that will make your car run great!
Such as.... he reset the temperature the engine cooling fans cut in so the engine doesn't get so hot before they finally come on..
The real KICKER was when he leaned out the fuel mixture, which is set overly rich from the factory, and he tweaked the timing a couple degrees. These two "tweaks" resulted the RWHP going from 299hp to 312hp and a Torque increase from 307.2 to 327..

A good dyno tune can run around $500, but the results are pretty impressive.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GO TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOIN'..........

Good Luck....
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Shift Kit

Originally Posted by landry2756

Yes, There are afew shift kits for the A4 trans and they are a great idea.

But, do not get one if the installer is not VERY familiar with the trans and Vettes....

ALSO, if you are thinking of a tune AND a shift kit....Then, there are many things to consider as some of the benefits of each will overlap causing undesired results if the tuner/kit installer are not cordinated.

The trans tuning I do WILL NOT slow down the car......Speak to anyone I have done this for... it is a MASSIVE improvment in shift feel, trans durability, and overall performance. You will love it!

The A4 trans is a SLUG in stock trim and with a stock tune. I have been building 700's and 4L60's for nearly 20 years and more recently, I've come up with a really HOT tune for the later units and believe me, I can make that baby sing!

I can tune the trans in person or by MAIL ORDER TUNE and either way you won't believe what that trans can really do when it's set up properly!

I love A4 cars!
Chuck CoW
Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 PM
C6Rluvur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Yes, There are afew shift kits for the A4 trans and they are a great idea.

But, do not get one if the installer is not VERY familiar with the trans and Vettes....

ALSO, if you are thinking of a tune AND a shift kit....Then, there are many things to consider as some of the benefits of each will overlap causing undesired results if the tuner/kit installer are not cordinated.

The trans tuning I do WILL NOT slow down the car......Speak to anyone I have done this for... it is a MASSIVE improvment in shift feel, trans durability, and overall performance. You will love it!

The A4 trans is a SLUG in stock trim and with a stock tune. I have been building 700's and 4L60's for nearly 20 years and more recently, I've come up with a really HOT tune for the later units and believe me, I can make that baby sing!

I can tune the trans in person or by MAIL ORDER TUNE and either way you won't believe what that trans can really do when it's set up properly!

I love A4 cars!
Chuck CoW
I know you allready have enough business but...I've been burned before w/full dyno/street/trans-tune, I'll buy your mail order tune If after I try racing my friend again and it indeed performs better, I'll keep it, if not can I send it back for a free stock reflash and money back w/promise not to write about it if it doesn't work out for me? as you can see I don't bad mouth tuners by name?

You can reply in pm if you feel privacy is necessary...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Rluvur
I know you allready have enough business but...I've been burned before w/full dyno/street/trans-tune, I'll buy your mail order tune If after I try racing my friend again and it indeed performs better, I'll keep it, if not can I send it back for a free stock reflash and money back w/promise not to write about it if it doesn't work out for me? as you can see I don't bad mouth tuners by name?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Get a Tune

To each his/her own but I had my car eng/trans computers tuned while on the dyno at Next Level Performance and wow what a difference. Mail order may be ok but the car there in person is best I don't care what anyone says. My 05/A4 is far better and I did not tune mine to the gills risking damage. If it were on a scale 100% being maxed out I'm probably 90%. It hits second around 50 or so and better hold on for smoking tires and rear end swings. Even more noticeable if you pull it down in L and shift it yourself. Pretty close to how a stick acts. That's my 2c and experience.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:15 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default No need to keep it private.....

Hey there.....

No need to keep it private...I've done this 1,000 times and I am not shy....

If you don't like the way it feels or performs I'll gladly put it back to stock and return your money to you...That has always been my guarantee.....

A4 cars are tons of fun if you tune 'em right.....Contact me and I'll tell you more about it.....

You will love it!
Chuck CoW
Old 01-21-2007, 06:39 PM
C6Rluvur
Burning Brakes

Default Excellent!!

Hey there.....

No need to keep it private...I've done this 1,000 times and I am not shy....

If you don't like the way it feels or performs I'll gladly put it back to stock and return your money to you...That has always been my guarantee.....

A4 cars are tons of fun if you tune 'em right.....Contact me and I'll tell you more about it.....

You will love it!
Chuck CoW
I'll be contacting you soon.. thanks for the reply...
Old 01-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Chuck01
Burning Brakes

I'll be contacting you soon.. thanks for the reply...
Please keep us updated. I have only heard of GREAT things from Chuck.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default tune

Recommend a tune/dyno and then drive and see for yourself the difference.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:55 AM
C6moblife
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, There are a few shift kits for the A4 trans and they are a great idea.

ALSO, if you are thinking of a tune AND a shift kit....Then, there are many things to consider as some of the benefits of each will overlap causing undesired results if the tuner/kit installer are not coordinated.

The trans tuning I do WILL NOT slow down the car......Speak to anyone I have done this for... it is a MASSIVE improvement in shift feel, trans durability, and overall performance. You will love it!

I love A4 cars!
Chuck CoW
whats the cost? and whats the mail order options, seeing how im in CA. thanks chuck
Old 08-04-2022, 09:38 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by C6moblife
whats the cost? and whats the mail order options, seeing how im in CA. thanks chuck
Lolol. 15 year old thread.
Cow hasn’t been on this forum for years. And I wouldn’t recommend him to work on my big wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Shift kit for A4?

Quick Reply: Transmission Shift kit for A4?