C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is installing heads a DIY project?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:02 PM
jjohn918
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is installing heads a DIY project?

I've never put new heads on a car and wanted to know if it was a DIY kind of job. I am fairly mechanically inclined and do a lot of work on my cars myself (water pumps, alternators, brakes, headers and exhaust etc...). I'm not really afraid to do the job myself, but since I've never done it before, I wanted to find out if it was something that could be accomplished in the typical home garage, or is it something that I should farm out.

Thanks for the help!

Josh
Old 03-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in short, yes.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:21 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zig
in short, yes.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:27 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would give it a try. I have done it, so it must be doable.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM
jjohn918
Drifting

Any idea on how long of a process it is. I know that once you do something, you can do it faster in the future, but what's a ballpark figure on time for a first attempt?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjohn918
Any idea on how long of a process it is. I know that once you do something, you can do it faster in the future, but what's a ballpark figure on time for a first attempt?
I would say plan a day or two for the job. Just getting everything off and out of your way takes time, not that it's so hard, but you want to do it right and not break/force anything. Sure enough it might take you less time, but better to plan on more time then not enough!

Make sure you have all the required torque settings for assembly, in fact a shop manual would be a great asset!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
baf2000_1
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Not at all dificult on a Pushrod engine. There is one pesky bolt on the Alternator that takes 20 min to take out. The rest is cake, really ! Since you have to take the exhaust manifolds off anyway you may want to consider headers at the same time.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:14 AM
jjohn918
Drifting

I already have LG's on the car, but have thought about doing a cam swap too (never done that before either). I'm assuming that this is the best time to do this as well?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Heads are 15-20 hours working comfortably. I think the only thing you can do to mess it up is scraping the old gasket material off. Use cometic multi-layer steel gaskets from then on. Clean the bolt holes with compressed air. The alternator bracket is your only resistant new friend. It all comes together.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

I already have LG's on the car, but have thought about doing a cam swap too (never done that before either). I'm assuming that this is the best time to do this as well?
The stock rockers are not adjustable and get torqued to spec, so if you have the service manual and follow directions the R&R of the heads is straight forward. It might be a good idea to replace the stock push rods with HD ones while you are changing the heads.

The R&R of the cam is another matter. You have to move the steering rac, as well as remove the damper which is tightened to approminately 240 foot pounds. It has to be marked in relation to its position on the crank so that you can re-install it correctly. The oil pump will have to be primed ...... and etc. There are many items that can cause problems......... Then of course any cam should be checked with a degree wheel to make sure that it is installed correctly. It is a bit more challenging than changing the heads.

I suggest that you shoot Spinmonster a PM as he has much more experience than most of us

Get notified of new replies

To Is installing heads a DIY project?

Quick Reply: Is installing heads a DIY project?