C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GM Head, Cam & Intake that won't ruin warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
C6 Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GM Head, Cam & Intake that won't ruin warranty...

Does anyone know if the rumor about GM's new LS2 heads, cam and intake are real? Supposedly, if you have a GM dealer intall them, your warranty won't be void or cancelled. It is suppose to be worth 100+HP and be the cost of aftermarket heads & cam alone!

Is this the LQ9 (?) everyone is talking about? Or someting else? Is it a FAST-like intake, or does anyone know that part of it?

I would appreciate details and an update.

I first saw this in Super Chevy or Hot Rod, I think. But they said first quarter calendar. I stopped in at two parts departments and they know nothing about it. That doesn't supprise me though, the forums usually are the best source of information.

Thanks,
JC
Kansas
Old 03-04-2007, 09:21 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds a little too good to be true.......

Are you thinking of the L92 heads?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:35 PM
C6 Vette
Instructor

Default Opps, yeah, L92 heads. FAT fingers!

Yeah, L92 was what I was thinking about. Sorry, I should proof read before I post.

Info would be appreciated.

I just remember the artilce in Hot Rod (or was it Super Chevy) and I posted a reference to it when it first came out. The pricing target was passed on to me later via another post.

I would like the real scope, if anyone knows for sure.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep clicking those heels Dorathy because if you think you can swap off heads etc and no warranty issues spin the wheel of fortune then
Old 03-04-2007, 11:00 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

It could be plausible.
HD after losing so much $ to aftermarket vendors now offers performance kits to add to their bikes that will not void warranty.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:03 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Radical05
Keep clicking those heels Dorathy

Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM may very well be heading this way. I know on the Solstice and Sky there is an upgrade path that does not affect the warrenty. Down at the SEMA show I got to talk to an engineer that is working on this.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:13 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TMyers
GM may very well be heading this way. I know on the Solstice and Sky there is an upgrade path that does not affect the warrenty. Down at the SEMA show I got to talk to an engineer that is working on this.
Wouldn't it be great? I also noticed at the NHRA event at Firebird that one of the smaller Pontiacs had an aftermarket inlet with a K&N style filter that was a GM aftermarket accesory. So, Terry, I think you are right.

So, if GM offered the L92 heads, the L76 intake, and a decent cam, and the car still kept the warranty, they would sell a lot of these packages. The question in my mind, is what cam could they offer and still meet emissions?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:47 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The L92 heads and L76 intake aren't really considered new anymore, they've been out there for more than a few months now and there are quite a few threads on the topic if ya wanna do a search.
You would likely have a hard time finding a dealership that will even install these parts nevermind having them be under any kind of official GM warranty after doing such.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Vette
Does anyone know if the rumor about GM's new LS2 heads, cam and intake are real? Supposedly, if you have a GM dealer intall them, your warranty won't be void or cancelled. It is suppose to be worth 100+HP and be the cost of aftermarket heads & cam alone!

Is this the LQ9 (?) everyone is talking about? Or someting else? Is it a FAST-like intake, or does anyone know that part of it?

I would appreciate details and an update.

I first saw this in Super Chevy or Hot Rod, I think. But they said first quarter calendar. I stopped in at two parts departments and they know nothing about it. That doesn't supprise me though, the forums usually are the best source of information.

Thanks,
JC
Kansas
I just did a head and cam job on a forum members 07 C6 A6 car, it gained nearly 100hp to the wheesl from the baseline test. I used a set of GM 243 casting heads that were CNC ported, added a set of American Racing headers and a cam that idles like stock. From the outside even if the dealer looks at the heads he will see the same casting numbers as the stock LS2 heads, it idles like stock, and the car I worked on made that kind of power through the stock mufflers. I doubt he will have any issues with warranty, unless they were to go inside the engine, even then I doubt the average GM mechanic would be able to see that someone was in the engine.

Now if you drop in a cam that idle like a large cam and added a FAST intake, its going to be pretty obvious. A GM dealer may install the parts but don't count on them to warranty any engine related failures once they do.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:06 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
I just did a head and cam job on a forum members 07 C6 A6 car, it gained nearly 100hp to the wheesl from the baseline test. I used a set of GM 243 casting heads that were CNC ported, added a set of American Racing headers and a cam that idles like stock. From the outside even if the dealer looks at the heads he will see the same casting numbers as the stock LS2 heads, it idles like stock, and the car I worked on made that kind of power through the stock mufflers. I doubt he will have any issues with warranty, unless they were to go inside the engine, even then I doubt the average GM mechanic would be able to see that someone was in the engine.

Now if you drop in a cam that idle like a large cam and added a FAST intake, its going to be pretty obvious. A GM dealer may install the parts but don't count on them to warranty any engine related failures once they do.
I think the quickest give away would be the valve springs especially if you used dual springs. Now, if you used the Comp 918's with stock retainers, you would have one stealth setup.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:31 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
I think the quickest give away would be the valve springs especially if you used dual springs. Now, if you used the Comp 918's with stock retainers, you would have one stealth setup.

That is very true, then again the tech would have to know what to look for. And I can tell you that most don't. I am fortunate to also have a dealer that I work closely with, and if there is ever a warranty issue the do their utmost to take care of it. I once had a Escalade motor (GM Performance crate engine) that went south on account the idiot owner sprayed it with NOS while under blower boost! The engine leaned out, shattered 3 pistons and caused further damage to 2 more pistons. I didn't know that at the time, but knew that there was serious internal damage because there was a window in the engine block

However I spoke with the dealer and we got a new engine for the owner, which will be his last engine from GM, as I told him he got this one free ticket and it was to be his last. It wasn't until the shop got the engine out of the truck that we realized the extent of the damage. I have never, never seen a engine come apart like this. Had I known what had happened inside that 6.0L LS1, I would not have even bothered using up one of my chips with the dealer to get it done under warranty. I will hang my leg out for a customer within reason but this one was way out there, it was total abuse!

All this goes to show that if one has a good working relationship with a dealer it can go a long way. In my case I often help them out with many difficult drivabilty issues with my in ground chassis dyno, they in turn help me out...sorta like rub my back and I will rub yours.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:57 AM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Heads, Cam and intake? I don't think so!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:04 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
You would likely have a hard time finding a dealership that will even install these parts nevermind having them be under any kind of official GM warranty after doing such.

Heck, I wont even go to the dealer for an oil change.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI

Heck, I wont even go to the dealer for an oil change.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 AM
fright88
Safety Car

This would be awesome and I would be first in line at the local dealership. Maybe someday it will happen
Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it was true it would cut into new car sales when they upped the HP
Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 655 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Dashti
Heads, Cam and intake? I don't think so!
If the radio breaks they will still fix it.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:07 PM
PBogZ06
Instructor

i spoke to the shop where I bought my car and they said that if they installed the parts it would not void the warranty...

there is light at the end of my tunnel..
I do have the 100K Mile warranty too....

Get notified of new replies

To New GM Head, Cam & Intake that won't ruin warranty...

Quick Reply: New GM Head, Cam & Intake that won't ruin warranty...