C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ install, C5 clutch assist spring in C6.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
I didn't think you could drive the car with out the spring.I thought if I drove the car without the spring the clutch pedal would go to the floor. Thanks for the tip.I will drive it to the agency tommorrow.Rod
You're probably having trouble holding the clutch down with one hand while trying to install the spring. If you remove the clutch rod that is attached to the pedal with a clip, the pedal will stay all of the way down without any effort. Then once you have the new spring installed reattach the rod. I can't remember but you might need to remove the plastic panel that holds the under dash light to access the clutch rod.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Got it in

thanks to the guys that e-mailed me some tips and walked me through it.The clutch pedal feels lighter to engage and it certainly more driveable.Suggestion,if you are having trouble with thr clutch "grabbing",this seems to reduce that problem about 50%.Again,thanks to all who assisited me with this simple mod.I was the one that made it difficult. Rod
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Been hearing that garbage too. Not right with- out the spring
nothing to keep it completely up!
Why all the negative "stuff" on this??

FWIW, your statement "without the spring nothing to keep it completely up" is simply wrong -- my C5 without the spring is held all the way up.

I haven't stuck my head back under the dash to figure out what is biasing the pedal in the up direction, but the *fact* is that the pedal stays up -- and not just resting on the initial contact point for actuation of the throwout bearing, but *all* the way up, so that there's a bit of freeplay to go through -- that way I know the throwout bearing is not constantly loaded by the weight of the pedal (I wouldn't operate without the spring if this were the case).

Anyway, now that the C6 is in the garage, I'll have the chance to see whether that car's pedal stays up, too.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:26 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Has anyone installed the C5 spring on a 2008?

Or is it even something that would benefit a 2008?

I'm thinking with all the changes to the 2008 manual transmission that it might not be an issue with the 2008 clutch pedal spring?

Anyone know?

Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HorsePowerJunkie

I'm thinking with all the changes to the 2008 manual transmission that it might not be an issue with the 2008 clutch pedal spring?
Yes, Yes and same issues for all C6 year models. Has the same benefits on '08's, same part numbers involved.

If you want to feel the difference without buying the C5 spring first, just remove your OEM spring and drive the car. Takes two minutes to do. If you don't like it, you can always put the C6 spring back in - no money invested.

The C5 spring will feel somewhere between the C6 spring and no spring, though closer to having no spring.

A word of warning before you start - this spring is covered in grease, so I recommend you lay some newspaper or paper towels down in the footwell to catch the spring when it pops off. It might otherwise stain your carpet...

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 02-20-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
Yes, Yes and same issues for all C6 year models. Has the same benefits on '08's, same part numbers involved.

If you want to feel the difference without buying the C5 spring first, just remove your OEM spring and drive the car. Takes two minutes to do. If you don't like it, you can always put the C6 spring back in - no money invested.

The C5 spring will feel somewhere between the C6 spring and no spring, though closer to having no spring.

A word of warning before you start - this spring is covered in grease, so I recommend you lay some newspaper or paper towels down in the footwell to catch the spring when it pops off. It might otherwise stain your carpet...

Thank you CrystalRacer for good info and the quick reply.

What is the issue with the C6 spring?

Could someone describe it a little more clearly please?

And what is the end result please after the spring replacement...

Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been hearing that garbage too. Not right with- out the spring
nothing to keep it completely up!
The spring on both the C5 and C6 functions as an over center spring to assist the driver in holding the clutch pedal down, like when at a stop light. Either spring definately causes the clutch to loose a linear progressive feel and makes the clutch harder to modulate. With the spring in the pedal pressure builds up as you depress it and about 2/3rds of the way down the assist spring rocks over center and makes the pedal pressure drop off. I have removed the spring from both my C5 and now my C6 and without and pedal sticking issues, I change my clutch fluid on a regular basis with a turkey baster about once a month, it takes less than 5 minutes. Immediately upon picking up my C6 I noticed the non-linear spring and thought did GM put that stupid limp leg spring in the C6 also. Out it came, nice clutch without it, I can feel what the pressure plate spring it really doing.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazes me how these "home engineers" . Know more than GM's.
I'm leaving mine alone!
Amazes me how you come into just about every clutch thread and as soon as the topic of spring replace/removal comes up, you make a wise remark with a couple of faces thrown in about how everyone is ruining their clutch. Yet we have all heard and wintessed many cars(yes some even our own ) with this mod done with no problems to speak of. Enough with the know-it-all comments. We get it. You don't agree with this mod. Would you care to explain why. Other than "GM engineered it that way"? Please, educate the rest of us.

Last edited by k0bun; 02-20-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Mark-44
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you CrystalRacer for good info and the quick reply.

What is the issue with the C6 spring?

Could someone describe it a little more clearly please?

And what is the end result please after the spring replacement...

Thanks

1). It's a safety issue....
2). With C6 spring the pedal feels the same from the floor to "killing the engine". Dangerous in traffic... on hills.
3). With the C5 spring the driver has control... can feel when the car moves... It is safe!
The following users liked this post:
h8snow (09-23-2019)
Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Anyone know?

Thanks

I did two days ago on my '08 Coupe and used the instructions at the top of this thread. MUCH improved clutch action. It doesn't feel as grabby and the engagement point is much smoother. I can now drive around without having to constantly think to smooth my shifts.

Install took less than 5 minutes and I am very not mechanically inclined. I always at least double the amount of time quoted it takes to do stuff if I get it done at all. So, if I can do it, anyone can.

Highly recommended cheap mod!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

My C6 spring busted on my months ago. I, for one, really liked how it felt with the C6 spring. If anyone who's removed their C6 spring in favor of no spring or C5 spring wants to send me theirs I'd appreciate it. I'll spring for the shipping.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Mark-44
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
My C6 spring busted on my months ago. I, for one, really liked how it felt with the C6 spring. If anyone who's removed their C6 spring in favor of no spring or C5 spring wants to send me theirs I'd appreciate it. I'll spring for the shipping.

Don't know what the C6 spring cost.. but my C5 spring was $7.01 at my local dealer, Weber Chevrolet. Postage may be more.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I did two days ago on my '08 Coupe and used the instructions at the top of this thread. MUCH improved clutch action. It doesn't feel as grabby and the engagement point is much smoother. I can now drive around without having to constantly think to smooth my shifts.

Install took less than 5 minutes and I am very not mechanically inclined. I always at least double the amount of time quoted it takes to do stuff if I get it done at all. So, if I can do it, anyone can.

Highly recommended cheap mod!
Just crawled my fat-a$$ under there and installed the spring from my old C5. Tomorrow I'll see if it helps any.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Let us know how it goes, MachSilver! I'm still enjoying the easy actuation of the clutch with the C5 spring.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Let us know how it goes, MachSilver! I'm still enjoying the easy actuation of the clutch with the C5 spring.
I've driven about 30mins with it so far. Seems to help a little with regards to being able to go through the gears. Time will tell whether its a placebo effect or not. I think that part of my problem is that I drove my C5 for 7 years with the ripper shifter and it was way better than this stock one. I just ordered one of Ed's 8-ball type *****. We'll see if that **** sitting lower on the stick will help as well.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
edv2122
Drifting

OK, I'm game where can I get one of these things.

Get notified of new replies

To EZ install, C5 clutch assist spring in C6.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
edv2122
Drifting

Found Gene's number, placed an order.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I test drove a C6 yesterday and found the clutch pedal super soft and rather hard to feel/modulate.

I've been driving my C5 w/o a spring since it broke back in 2004... over 80,000 miles on the car now. Yes the pedal is harder to push in, but nothing like the manual clutch in my old mustang. Feels much better and any sluggishness/stickiness is gone.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I test drove a C6 yesterday and found the clutch pedal super soft and rather hard to feel/modulate.

I've been driving my C5 w/o a spring since it broke back in 2004... over 80,000 miles on the car now. Yes the pedal is harder to push in, but nothing like the manual clutch in my old mustang. Feels much better and any sluggishness/stickiness is gone.
Yep, this
found the clutch pedal super soft and rather hard to feel/modulate.
is the exact problem I'm battling. My C5 was SOOOO much better than this car in this respect.

Quick Reply: EZ install, C5 clutch assist spring in C6.