C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:06 PM
dtvet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted calipers?

Has anyone painted their non Z06 calipers red? I like the look, as my 04 Z06 had, but I'm not sure if a non factory paint will last. . .
Old 08-19-2007, 07:32 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

i painted mine with duplicolor brake paint and I have 7100 miles. It looks great in my opinion

Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 PM
marct6444
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

I also used Duplicolor and am very happy with the end result. It has held up perfect!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 PM
dtvet
Instructor

Did you guys take it off the car to paint? I assume you have to due to overspray and well, overspray.. .
Old 08-19-2007, 09:40 PM
ganna001
Pro

im paintiing my calipers tomorow.
currently facing an issue taking the wheels off.. lol.. .but i bought a yellow caliper heat resistant paint..2 cans should easily paint both wheels with 4-5 layers per wheel.

i plan on taking the wheel off.. .but not the calipers.

plenty of newspaper and tape to make sure no overspray.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I just did mine... Duplicolor brush-on style brake caliper paint kit.

Take the wheels off. Spray caliper liberally with brake cleaner. Scrub any grease/dirt buildup off the calipers to get a clean surface to paint. Hold the caliper sliding pins with a 18mm open end wrench, while removing the 15mm bolts from the back of the pins. Wiggle the caliper off the disc. No need to remove the pads.

Set it up on top of the upper a-arm (cover the a-arm, rotor, etc with paper to keep drips off) so that you can get paint to the entire caliper. Do NOT let the caliper hang from the hose!

Don't forget the blue loc-tite on the 15mm bolts upon reassembly.

Last edited by Kent1999; 08-19-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I just did mine... Duplicolor brush-on style brake caliper paint kit.

Take the wheels off. Spray caliper liberally with brake cleaner. Scrub any grease/dirt buildup off the calipers to get a clean surface to paint. Hold the caliper sliding pins with a 18mm open end wrench, while removing the 15mm bolts from the back of the pins. Wiggle the caliper off the disc. No need to remove the pads.

Set it up on top of the upper a-arm (cover the a-arm, rotor, etc with paper to keep drips off) so that you can get paint to the entire caliper. Do NOT let the caliper hang from the hose!

Don't forget the blue loc-tite on the 15mm bolts upon reassembly.

Did mine a year ago, same procedure. Still look great. Got the kit at Walmart. Nice cheap mod.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

I did mine about a week ago. Just the calipers, not the brackets.
I used duplicolor hi-heat spray.
I installed stainless steel brake pad covers too.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne88
I did mine about a week ago. Just the calipers, not the brackets.
I used duplicolor hi-heat spray.
I installed stainless steel brake pad covers too.

nice bling. bling is good!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

plain old "sunrise red" rustoleum will work just fine. the myth is that you need some sort of hi-temp paint. not true. did mine with one rattle-can (two coats) for about $4. it's been a year now, and around 5-7K miles, still looks great.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 PM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

I painted the calipers red and the bracket silver with Duplicolor.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:49 PM
fenderowner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe C
plain old "sunrise red" rustoleum will work just fine. the myth is that you need some sort of hi-temp paint. not true. did mine with one rattle-can (two coats) for about $4. it's been a year now, and around 5-7K miles, still looks great.
Bingo. Only thing I would add is make sure they are cleaned with brake cleaner or some other solvent, remove solvent with windex or something like that, then shoot them with a coat of Rustoleum primer. I painted mine two years ago with no visible signs of paint deterioration to date (11K miles). Jack the car up, take the wheel off, mask the rotor and anything else you don't want to be red, then mask the wheel well with newspaper and masking tape for overspray, and have at it! Scrape off the Corvette letters with a single edge razor blade when dry, and it'll look like you masked them! HTH.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by fenderowner
Bingo. Only thing I would add is make sure they are cleaned with brake cleaner or some other solvent, remove solvent with windex or something like that, then shoot them with a coat of Rustoleum primer. I painted mine two years ago with no visible signs of paint deterioration to date (11K miles). Jack the car up, take the wheel off, mask the rotor and anything else you don't want to be red, then mask the wheel well with newspaper and masking tape for overspray, and have at it! Scrape off the Corvette letters with a single edge razor blade when dry, and it'll look like you masked them! HTH.
- like any paint work, the key to success is the prep. i was doing a complete brake overhaul on my 85, and prior to the painting, i bead blasted the calipers...

i'll be painting the calipers on my 08 (if it ever gets here) - probably disconnect the caliper from the mounting bracket, mask, and have at it.

Last edited by Joe C; 08-21-2007 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:24 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
- like any paint work, the key to success is the prep. i was doing a complete brake overhall on my 85, and prior to the painting, i bead blasted the calipers...

i'll be painting the calipers on my 08 (if it ever gets here) - probably disconnect the caliper from the mounting bracket, mask, and have at it.
VERY nice
Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
GaussianMist
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you guys have to cover the "Corvette" letterings when you spray paint the calipers? Or is it highly polished were the paint won't stick.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I calipers my rotors on my C5, I bought a can of the brush on rustolium, left the calipers mounted and masked off everything near and used a paint bruch. This was a clean way to go an no worrys about overspray. Then after they were dry (24hrs) I then took a razor blade and removed the paint off the letters. It looked great and I put probably 80K on the car with the calipers painted and no problems
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
GaussianMist
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron's-coupe
I calipers my rotors on my C5, I bought a can of the brush on rustolium, left the calipers mounted and masked off everything near and used a paint bruch. This was a clean way to go an no worrys about overspray. Then after they were dry (24hrs) I then took a razor blade and removed the paint off the letters. It looked great and I put probably 80K on the car with the calipers painted and no problems
Razor blade, cool... Thanks! This might be my next mod.

Get notified of new replies

To Painted calipers?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:07 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I painted on the car with a kit from Autozone, Duplicolor Red. Came out great....
Old 12-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Two007
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought body color spay paint - Monterrey Red. Carefully covered the car with an older (but soft) car cover. Pushed the cover in and behind the rotor and caliper assembly. cleaned all with degreaser, then used newspaper, tape, etc. to mask the rest off. Painted the top hat with a flat black. Painted the caliper with Monterrey Red, while still on the car. One can for all four calipers. Used razor blade while still a little damp to scrape off the letters. 4,000 miles later, still looks great. Lots of compliments. Calipers match the car.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:58 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Two007
I bought body color spay paint - Monterrey Red. Carefully covered the car with an older (but soft) car cover. Pushed the cover in and behind the rotor and caliper assembly. cleaned all with degreaser, then used newspaper, tape, etc. to mask the rest off. Painted the top hat with a flat black. Painted the caliper with Monterrey Red, while still on the car. One can for all four calipers. Used razor blade while still a little damp to scrape off the letters. 4,000 miles later, still looks great. Lots of compliments. Calipers match the car.
I was planning to do this with my MR Coupe as well. Do you have a picture to show?

Quick Reply: Painted calipers?