C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Adaptive Programming - Paddle Shifters come in!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 05:06 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't wait to explain to the cops why I am running the car so hard.

I'm trying to teach it something, officer!!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
rulez
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this learning stay seperate between two drivers? I ask because my wife drove our new one tonight, and lets just say I'd rather the car learn my habits instead
Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 PM
thx007
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rulez
Does this learning stay seperate between two drivers? I ask because my wife drove our new one tonight, and lets just say I'd rather the car learn my habits instead
I asked that question too. Albiet, I am wifeless now. He couldn't/didn't tell me how long exactly it takes. But from the way he told me to drive for a few days, it may take longer than an occasional trip to the grocery store.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this learning stay seperate between two drivers?

That would be really nice (was thinking the same) but am 99.9% sure that it does NOT stay separate. That's only for seating and mirror adjusments.

Last edited by siffert; 10-03-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:56 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If true. This is stupid.

It should learn in Sport too.

Drive would be where most people are taking it easy.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:23 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks for the info, I'm definitely giving it shot.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:27 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
If true. This is stupid.

It should learn in Sport too.

Drive would be where most people are taking it easy.
I thought that as well but giving it some more thought I decided that it is best that it learn in D and then when moved to S your "learned shift behavior" is captured and not altered even when you drive slowly in S -- with or without the paddles (if that is what actually happens.)

Since paddle-mode is only available in S it would be a problem having it learn in S. Putz-ing around town or on the highway with the paddles would cause the shift points to relearn a slower mode defeating the objective.

I always drive in S as the paddles are available at a click. The only time I have had my car in D (in almost two years) is to force S out of paddle-mode and back into full auto.

I haven't had time to test its learning ability but I'm hoping it works.

--Dan
Old 09-30-2007, 11:36 AM
rulez
Racer

Originally Posted by dbratten
I thought that as well but giving it some more thought I decided that it is best that it learn in D and then when moved to S your "learned shift behavior" is captured and not altered even when you drive slowly in S -- with or without the paddles (if that is what actually happens.)

Since paddle-mode is only available in S it would be a problem having it learn in S. Putz-ing around town or on the highway with the paddles would cause the shift points to relearn a slower mode defeating the objective.

I always drive in S as the paddles are available at a click. The only time I have had my car in D (in almost two years) is to force S out of paddle-mode and back into full auto.

I haven't had time to test its learning ability but I'm hoping it works.

--Dan
Only use D to shift back into full-auto after using the paddles. Mine isn't past the 500 mile mark yet, so there hasn't been any real "teaching" yet.

This page: http://www.maxchevy.com/features/2007/ii_3-trans-1.html has some good info on our A6 along with some specs. They only hint at the learning capabilities.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:07 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

So D is now "learn mode" for all reasonable purposes.
Sure wish that the manual had mentioned this.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

The only time mine ever sees drive is to get out of paddle mode. Today I took it to school and hopefully it learned something. Tommorow mornings cool temps will reveal what grade I'll give this bit of info.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

It felt a tad smoother and quicker changing gears.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:17 PM
The Scorpion
Intermediate

Tested this out. Gave some good WOT for the 1st to 2nd and the 2nd to 3rd in D. Then in sport I noticed the shifts quicker and smoother both in paddle mode and non paddle mode. In fact my paddle shift from 2nd into 3rd was a bit sluggish and now it is fine. Interesting.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:26 PM
mcwire
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greentank
You guys need to try the paddles with TM removed. The difference is stunning.
What's the "TM" ? -- I'm just a rookie at, all of, this Vette stuff.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 AM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mcwire
What's the "TM" ? -- I'm just a rookie at, all of, this Vette stuff.
Torque Management.

Best to do a forum search for that.
There is a LOT of "discussion" about it.

Basically, a tune can minimize it's influence and wake things up a bit.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 AM
mcwire
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
Torque Management.

Best to do a forum search for that.
There is a LOT of "discussion" about it.

Basically, a tune can minimize it's influence and wake things up a bit.
Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 AM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thx007, wonder if you could run this by the tech. I have a 300C with the 'bump stick' automatic shifting. The 300C's pcm is 'adaptive' as well. Gentle driving in heavy traffic produces soft/long shifting in automatic and when 'bumping' the shifter in manual mode. Over time more aggressive driving produces firmer shifting.

I bring this up because it was discovered that by pulling fuse #20 for a minute the PCM cleared or reset it's learning. This put it back to "factory" settings which are fairly aggressive. Pulling the fuse in other words, is a quick shortcut to reset the cars learned shifting behavior. I wouldn't call it dramatic, but the effect is pronounced if the car has been driven in heavy traffic for several days.

So a question for the tech when you see him if your interested, is there a similar PCM (or whatever module controls this behavior) fuse in the Corvette? I would think disconnecting the battery for a few minutes would accomplish a similar objective, but pulling a fuse is simpler.

Excuse the length, thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. Your post made me think of this effect with the 300C and leaves me a bit curious. I'm also left wondering if any tuners/builders have an opinion on this?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
According to his post, only if it is driven in D. Once the parameters are set, you can drive anyway you want in S, as the computer only learns in D.
That sounds about right. At the beginning, I usually stayed in D and drove aggressively most of the time. I installed the Corsa Xtremes and started to use the paddles 100% to enjoy the sound of the exhaust. At 8K miles the solenoid and valve body was replaced because it would not downshift into 1st. Now the shifts are sluggish again using the paddles. I’ve been aggressively using the paddles for about 2 weeks with no change. I guess it’s back to D mode for tranny school. Thanks…………

Get notified of new replies

To A6 Adaptive Programming - Paddle Shifters come in!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM
C6VetteMan
Racer

After Cartek tuned my A6, it doesn't matter whether I'm in D or S, the car is a "beast" !!! It actually "leaps" forward and lays rubber between 1st and 2nd. Bad news is - I need new rear tires. I can't keep them from breaking loose. Think I'm going toward Nitto - INVO's for better traction.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,088 Likes on 600 Posts

Very interesting post. I've had my 06 A6 for a year and a half now. I did notice that it seemed to shift more aggressively in D than S. However, 90% of the time I drive it I go in S. Mainly so that if I want to shift I can. I'll have to go back to D for a while & see if I notice any difference. When I go to the track I only run in S because it'll start in first & I let it shift for itself....
Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 AM
thx007
Racer

Originally Posted by StarJack
Thx007, wonder if you could run this by the tech. I have a 300C with the 'bump stick' automatic shifting. The 300C's pcm is 'adaptive' as well. Gentle driving in heavy traffic produces soft/long shifting in automatic and when 'bumping' the shifter in manual mode. Over time more aggressive driving produces firmer shifting.

I bring this up because it was discovered that by pulling fuse #20 for a minute the PCM cleared or reset it's learning. This put it back to "factory" settings which are fairly aggressive. Pulling the fuse in other words, is a quick shortcut to reset the cars learned shifting behavior. I wouldn't call it dramatic, but the effect is pronounced if the car has been driven in heavy traffic for several days.

So a question for the tech when you see him if your interested, is there a similar PCM (or whatever module controls this behavior) fuse in the Corvette? I would think disconnecting the battery for a few minutes would accomplish a similar objective, but pulling a fuse is simpler.

Excuse the length, thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. Your post made me think of this effect with the 300C and leaves me a bit curious. I'm also left wondering if any tuners/builders have an opinion on this?
Hey StarJack, interesting question. But unfortunately it was a special one-time conference call we had related to other problems I was experiencing. I doubt I'll have the opportunity again (unless my tranny blows up).

Quick Reply: A6 Adaptive Programming - Paddle Shifters come in!