C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header wrap pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:35 AM
nastyC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header wrap pros and cons

Thank you to all the forum members who responded to my post for the value of the underdrive pulley...had it installed with NO problems charging even with my battery in the rear of the car..Now another question...........Opinions on header wrapping....value???.Pros/.Cons??.....Has anyone done it on a C6........All opinions are appreciated...Thanks......NastyC6....... ...BOB
Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 AM
lemans 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going that route, get them coated. Same general effect and alot prettier. Personally, mine are raw stainless and have not had a problem with underhood temps or burning wires, etc.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 PM
aTX427

mine are coated, but I am not sure if I would do it again. I have read that if the heat does not disapate, it through the headers, it adds to the combustion temps and promotes detonation.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
brad@JBAHEADERS
Advanced

I do not recommend wrapping your headers unless it is a race only application - and I do mean race only as in the car is a trailered race car....have the headers Jet Hot coated or going with a coated option from an aftermarket company's offering is really the best way to go on a street application - we have 2 different coatings we offer on our headers

it actually voids the warranty on our headers as well when people wrap them, some other aftermarket companies might say the same thing
Old 10-11-2007, 03:13 PM
jak112460
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brad@JBAHEADERS
I do not recommend wrapping your headers unless it is a race only application - and I do mean race only as in the car is a trailered race car....have the headers Jet Hot coated or going with a coated option from an aftermarket company's offering is really the best way to go on a street application - we have 2 different coatings we offer on our headers

it actually voids the warranty on our headers as well when people wrap them, some other aftermarket companies might say the same thing
Why is wrapping headers a problem. I would like specifics to stainless.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:38 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Years ago I put Doug Thorley headers on my motorhome. The warranty was void if the headers were wrapped. I think it had something to do with rust but I'm not sure.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

I think you would be better off with a coating such as Jet Hot as someone else said. I thought about getting my Kooks headers coated with Jet Hot 2000, but decided against it since they are stainless steel and there is room around them to let the heat disapate.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 PM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by jak112460

The tape/wrap collects moisture. This, and the heat, can degrade the welds and base stainless. Coating inside and out is better.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:46 PM
lemans 07
Racer

the headers get red hot and it can actually temper the steel and make it weaker. I have seen guys on jetboats do it and the weight of the collector caused the headers to warp and actually drop a couple inches. Too much heat for the steel.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by lemans 07
the headers get red hot and it can actually temper the steel and make it weaker. I have seen guys on jetboats do it and the weight of the collector caused the headers to warp and actually drop a couple inches. Too much heat for the steel.

Wrap is not good for stainless LT's. Call the mfg and they will tell you.
Ceramic coating
Old 10-11-2007, 06:31 PM
brad@JBAHEADERS
Advanced

the wrap retains heat in a way that can create excessive heat build up and stress on the primary tubes - ive seen this one as well on street cars - I actually saw a guy bang into a set of primarys with the handle of a socket wrench and the tube actually shattered right in front of him

stick with ceramic coating/jet hot coating
Old 10-13-2007, 08:54 AM
nastyC6
Instructor

Thanks for all the input on the header wrap subject.........after considering all the qualified advice .....i've decided NOT to use the header wrap......Always looking for a few more HP.....NastyC6......BOB
Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 AM
FUBUZ06AMG
FUBUZ06AMG
Support Corvetteforum!

it's not the best looking coating, but I am going with Swain-tech Coating . If it's good enough for NASCAR it's good enough for me.

I'm going to Swain-tech both the inside and outside of the pipes.

The entire from the headers back to the cat backs, NOT the catalytic converters.

Les
Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I would also advise not wrapping headers. It doesn't last long under high heat. I would advise a good ceramic/aftermarket coating, although there are mixed opinions on coating the inside only versus inside and outside. I don't believe coating the inside would be a problem if you're staying N/A or supercharged, although turbo applications are where I'd personally only coat the outside. I also think highly of Swaintech offerings. I'm a Corvette n00b, but have run ceramic coated headers for nearly five years on a turbocharged Subaru.

San

San
Old 10-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

imo, wrapping isn't as good as coating, as long as you use a quality coating company (jethot, swaintech, etc.). wrap absorbs moisture, dirt, etc. coating leaves the headers looking good as new even after 20k+ miles.

i had my headers coated but i did use some wrap on the x-pipe and cat-back.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Michael Hunter
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default wrapping headers

I wouldn't recommend it to any one in any condition. In theory it sounds like it would add H.P. to engine, being the engine bay would be cooler. But, when the headers get hot they retain the heat and it is just like you heat treated them. On my race car they would glow and each time I ran it they went through the heat treatment until they got so brittle they cracked into pieces. Get them coated and that is it!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:29 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmansan
I would also advise not wrapping headers. It doesn't last long under high heat. I would advise a good ceramic/aftermarket coating, although there are mixed opinions on coating the inside only versus inside and outside. I don't believe coating the inside would be a problem if you're staying N/A or supercharged, although turbo applications are where I'd personally only coat the outside. I also think highly of Swaintech offerings. I'm a Corvette n00b, but have run ceramic coated headers for nearly five years on a turbocharged Subaru.

San

San
Turbo kits for the C6 require their own (mfg spec) exhaust manifolds. Mine are cast iron.

Get notified of new replies

To Header wrap pros and cons

Old 12-24-2007, 03:51 PM
mte.smiles
Racer

You might want to take a look at the Melrose headers. They come jet hot coated, the fit is excellent, and life time warranty as long as you own the car. Some folks argue that they are only mild steel vs. Stainless steel. Mild Steel flexes better and less risky for cracks at the flanges. They keep a nice shine which helps if you're showing your car. Check out their FAQ on their website and decide for yourself. So far, my Melrose headers with long tubes and X-pipe have been performing flawlessly. Good luck. I do agree with the other guys here about not wrapping them. Jet hot coating will solve that for you.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:07 AM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

We also do not recommend wrapping headers because of the combination of heat and moisture built up within the wrapping. We also aren't a big proponent of ceramic coatings with our 304 S/S systems unless the application has forced induction. Feedback from some highly experienced tuners told us coatings on N/A applications, particularly those with greater than stock camshaft lifts and durations can cause excessive heat to back up into the combustion chamber promoting detonation. With mild steel, coatings are a must for longevity and mild steel simply won't hold the heat in as well as S/S. Therefore coating mild steel isn't nearly as detrimental.

Nick
Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 AM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

My none coated AR headers do just fine! And they cool off pretty fast.

Quick Reply: Header wrap pros and cons