C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 02:14 AM
cfi_luz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully someone will come up with a jumper soon as I'd like to totally remove mine and use the space for an amp.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:39 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cfi_luz
Hopefully someone will come up with a jumper soon as I'd like to totally remove mine and use the space for an amp.
I don’t like the idea of “Big Daddy” watching my every move, using the pretence that they are “looking out for my best interest”. I’m from the old school. I can keep track of my own minor services, tire pressure, how fast I’m going etc. I was without a cell phone most of my life; I don’t need one attached to my car. I have a cell and I like the idea of taking it out of the car when I get out.

This OnStar thing seems so “let’s put a chip under the back of your neck”, “the government is here to help you”, “don’t worry it’s for your best interest”.

I made a big mistake activating this thing and I’m going to disconnect as soon as possible!

Those who want it KEEP it but DON'T make others!

Ben

Old 10-25-2009, 11:44 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you trust the government, you haven't watched this movie.......scary, powerful explanation of what is being done to America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VebOT...layer_embedded

Fall of the Republic

My Onstar is getting disconnected.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 AM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to know. Thanks for the info Dbl6gun.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:12 AM
tpereira
Burning Brakes

wasnt onstar on the news for remotely disabling a stolen vehicle... I bet alot of thieves would like to know how to quickly disable it... they just hit the jackpot if so...
Old 10-26-2009, 02:53 AM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortimer
Good to know. Thanks for the info Dbl6gun.
Your welcome!

*** UPDATE INFORMATION ***

Looks like J4 can be unplugged!

After pulling up the rear carpet .... the J4 connector just needs the comm wires jumpered together as shown in the picture below. This seems to be a good technique because the factory wires are not cut. You can reverse this process by cutting (removing) the jumpers and plugging the connector back in.

Now the OnStar box can remain in the attic until you decide you want it back in the car or to sell the car. With this jumper method, the car will run quite nicely with the jumpers in place of the box!

IF anyone decides to do this.....

Disconnect the Battery.

Example: 2007 VCIM Connector C4

Pin-Color--Circuit--Functions
2---TN/BK--2500----High Speed GMLAN Serial Data (+)
3---TN-----2501----High Speed GMLAN Serial Data (-)
8---TN/BK--2500----High Speed GMLAN Serial Data (+)
9---TN-----2501----High Speed GMLAN Serial Data (-)

The GMLAN loops through the VCIM on these 4 pins.

About 1" behind the connector cut the TN/BK (Tan with Black Tracer) wire going to pin 8. About 1" behind pin 2 remove about 1/2" of insulation from the TN/BK wire going to pin 2 (DO NOT CUT THE WIRE). Strip about 1/2" of insulation from the wire in the harness that was cut from pin 8. Connect the wire just stripped to the wire from pin 2 where the insulation was removed. Solder the connection and wrap the connection with electrical tape. You might also want to put a small piece of heat shrink tubing on the wire coming from pin 8 in the connector so it cannot short to anything.

About 1" behind the connector cut the TN (Tan) wire going to pin 9. About 1" behind pin 3 remove about 1/2" of insulation from the TN wire going to pin 3 (DO NOT CUT THE WIRE). Strip about 1/2" of insulation from the wire in the harness that was cut from pin 9. Connect the wire just stripped to the wire from pin 3 where the insulation was removed. Solder the connection and wrap the connection with electrical tape. You might also want to put a small piece of heat shrink tubing on the wire coming from pin 9 in the connector so it cannot short to anything.

Remove the VCIM, wrap the loose connectors in foam so they do not rattle and reconnect the battery.

If you do it as suggested above, you can reinstall the VCIM at a later date and it will once again function.

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 10-26-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Paul4137
Pro

Anyone have an onstar antenna they want to sell?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:25 PM
lilsteve
2nd Gear

Default Location ????

I have a 2010 grandsport and im looking to disable my onstar system. Can someone lead me in the right direction on the location of the box? I have heard its in the dash is this true? Please help any info works
Old 02-20-2010, 04:24 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilsteve
I have a 2010 grandsport and im looking to disable my onstar system. Can someone lead me in the right direction on the location of the box? I have heard its in the dash is this true? Please help any info works
If your battery is in the rear like the Z06, it's under the passenger seat.

Unplug all connectors (J1, J2, J3) including the two antenna cables, but LEAVE J4 plugged in
Old 02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by martialman.45
I actually dont have a car yet, just shopping for my graduation present early. Just want a sports car without onstar, radio, cup holders etc. no one seems to make one anymore.
you need a 1948 MG
Old 02-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by lilsteve
Just let it go until your subscription runs out in a year. No money no OnStar. It is totally non functional and can't be used to spy on you. It isn't worth it to pay the subsription price on my 08Z but I have kept up On Star on my 03 Tahoe and 08 Malibu. Have found them to be very useful at times. Especially when my wife got into the habit of locking the keys in the Tahoe when we were several hundred miles from home.

Bill
Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 PM
lilsteve
2nd Gear

Not the case in 09 and 10 corvettes the box is located in dash. Any ideas where? Also does the onstar box record miles on it ?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm not clear where to look for the physical location of the OnStar module. I want to replace it with the new BlueStar blue tooth module, but I first have to locate the OnStar module in my 08 Convertible. Anyone have photo showing where it is located?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I'm not clear where to look for the physical location of the OnStar module. I want to replace it with the new BlueStar blue tooth module, but I first have to locate the OnStar module in my 08 Convertible. Anyone have photo showing where it is located?
Look high up on your window from the inside toward the passenger.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
Look high up on your window from the inside toward the passenger.
That's just the antenna module. I need to know where the VCIM OnStar box is.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I would be interested in knowing where the control box is too. I've looked in and under the rear passenger storage box, removed carpet and it's not there in my 08.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar removal

Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

I'm told in the 09 it is behind the glovebox, but in some cars it is under the carpet in the rear storage box, but I can't seem to get the carpet up to check, as it is all one molded piece.

I assume they put it up front in the 09 since the Bluetooth module is in it and it will get better reception into the cockpit in that location. I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find it. There are some photos of it so you can at least get an idea what it looks like here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tar-nanny.html

I also am unable to slide the black box on the windshield toward the passenger door to get it to unclip. It simply won't budge.

Last edited by CSixDude; 04-01-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
That's just the antenna module. I need to know where the VCIM OnStar box is.
Hello Fred.
I respect your desire to not be a part of the surveillance society, and I will help you.

In the 2009-10 models, its not on the floor, its up in the dash, you have to remove the passenger side dash lower closeout panel to look up into the dash and see it.

It really is wedged into a corner. My personally experience is that I had to remove the entire closeout panel because the small panel opening on the right is insufficient to really access the module.

In order to disable OnStar you would remove the natural plastic 16 way connector, it should have about a half dozen wires, among them a red/white one. Pulling this connector removes power and ground to the module, you can leave the other colored connectors on place.

Happy Hunting!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Thanks for that info. Is there some secret to getting the antenna box on the windsheild to release?

My car is an 08 Convertible, so I haven't (yet) looked behind the glovebox. I was lead to believe it was only there on the 09/10 models.

Quick Reply: OnStar removal