C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 C6 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:23 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6roadster
At what percentage reading on the DIC should the oil be changed then? 50%? 40%? 25%? 20%? or one year, whichever comes first. But still, WHAT IS THE CORRECT PERCENTAGE NUMBER TO GO BY? Does anybody know and why?
What percentage.....

I believe at 5% it will inform you to service soon. it will give this message at every startup until reset. At some point the warning becomes more severe I believe.

Why?

Because that is how the Oil Life Monitor works.
It precisely calculates when your oil needs changing based on your exact personal driving habits and conditions.

Pretty cool.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:41 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
Warms my heart to see some more folks coming around on this....
Excellent job on all your links, my favorite one I've been "preaching" for years is the NY taxi test you linked to. Too bad you weren't around for this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1868553
This guy is convinced "dirty"/black oil is bad and needs changing. Another guy swears an Amsoil filter keeps his oil from getting dark...stays the same color as when he poured it out of the bottle. One guy tried to interject some sense of reason into the thread but I stayed out of it...I have a low tolerance for stupidity.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:28 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Excellent job on all your links, my favorite one I've been "preaching" for years is the NY taxi test you linked to. Too bad you weren't around for this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1868553
This guy is convinced "dirty"/black oil is bad and needs changing. Another guy swears an Amsoil filter keeps his oil from getting dark...stays the same color as when he poured it out of the bottle. One guy tried to interject some sense of reason into the thread but I stayed out of it...I have a low tolerance for stupidity.

As time goes by eventually everyone will look at changing oil before the monitor says in a normally operated engine as backwards as going back and doing laundry with a washboard.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Paul NJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am from the "old school" of changing oil every 3000 miles. But,
I really hated wasting that "good" oil. So the "used" oil comes out of the vette and goes into my daily driver. Maybe its crazy but I've had no problems. My current daily driver is a Honda Civic Si which replaced a Honda Civic that I bought new and drove 200K miles, it ran like a top the day I sold it and I never bought any oil for it, just filters.
Comments? Anyone think they may try this? Regards, Paul.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul NJ
I too am from the "old school" of changing oil every 3000 miles. But,
I really hated wasting that "good" oil. So the "used" oil comes out of the vette and goes into my daily driver. Maybe its crazy but I've had no problems. My current daily driver is a Honda Civic Si which replaced a Honda Civic that I bought new and drove 200K miles, it ran like a top the day I sold it and I never bought any oil for it, just filters.
Comments? Anyone think they may try this? Regards, Paul.
It's not something I would do but only because it seems like a lot of work. I do like your thinking though and see nothing wrong with what you're doing...sounds like a good compromise between wasting oil versus extended oil changes.

PS I assume you made sure the two cars blood types are the same before the transfusion.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by NIGHTSTALKER
Call me hard-headed, but my oil has always, and will always be changed at 2500-3000 miles. I just look at it like going above and beyond
Me too. its my car, and my money.
I'll change it when I want, every 3K miles.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NIGHTSTALKER
Call me hard-headed, but my oil has always, and will always be changed at 2500-3000 miles. I just look at it like going above and beyond
You're hard headed.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by k0bun
You're hard headed.

Come on you old goat! Get with the program! You're giving the rest of us old goats a bad reputation!

Remember...

You're never to old to learn new tricks! Well... almost never!

There's a rumor running around.... Wayne and Nightstalker were twins separated at birth!

Ok, ok, I'll quit. Darn that was fun though!

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 11-25-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Paul NJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
It's not something I would do but only because it seems like a lot of work. I do like your thinking though and see nothing wrong with what you're doing...sounds like a good compromise between wasting oil versus extended oil changes.

PS I assume you made sure the two cars blood types are the same before the transfusion.
Yup the oil viscosity matched close enough. Actually its no more work its just done all at once. I beat the crap outa that Honda (read: It
was pedal to the metal all the time). I don't think the engine was strong enough to hurt itself or any of the driveline. Cheers.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:48 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wayne88
Me too. its my car, and my money.
I'll change it when I want, every 3K miles.

I guess it's good to have a few around to teach the young about the past.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:49 PM
BGZQ8
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is now a Mobil-1 filter that replaces the PF-48 , it is the M1-113. The PF-46 and PF-44 (UPF-44) are replaced with the M1-107.

Quick Reply: 2007 C6 Oil Change