C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged pistons

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:35 AM
etteroc27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Forged pistons

I would like to hear from people who have used forged pistons in a lt1 and had any problem with the greater clearance of the forged ones over the hyper. ones being affected by the knock sensors. I am building a 383, and just got to wondering about the piston slap with forged piston when they are cold, and if it might trigger the knock sensors. Any experiences with this would be helpful. Thanks, Tom
Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
etteroc27
Racer

Well, I don't know how I got this in the C6 section. It's supposed to be in the C4 area, and I don't know how to move it. Sorry, but if any of you could help, I'd be glad to hear from you. Tom
Old 01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

I've got a forged 427 in my C6, with diamond forged pitons in at .0055 clearence. If there is any piston noise it's gone soon after start up, and you don't hammer the car when it's cold anyway. At least I don't. So the knock sensor concern isn't really an issue. Don't worry about it no matter what engine your talking about
Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 PM
JLINDSEY2
Racer

Default ...

Originally Posted by etteroc27
I would like to hear from people who have used forged pistons in a lt1 and had any problem with the greater clearance of the forged ones over the hyper. ones being affected by the knock sensors. I am building a 383, and just got to wondering about the piston slap with forged piston when they are cold, and if it might trigger the knock sensors. Any experiences with this would be helpful. Thanks, Tom
Wasn't the LT4 knock sensor an upgrade? I don't know enough about it to give any advice, but a bro of mine is upgrading his C4 and that was one of the first "recomended" mods to be done. Mabee one of the forum LT1 gurus will step in here.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I have an LT4 in my Porsche 944 conversion, and definitely install a LT4 knock sensor. I was using a LT1 sensor and experiencing ignition retard from the noise the aftermarket cam and lifters were making, Swapped the sensor to LT4, and it completely eliminated the problem. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:20 AM
d48mclain
Racer

Originally Posted by EuroRod
I have an LT4 in my Porsche 944 conversion, and definitely install a LT4 knock sensor. I was using a LT1 sensor and experiencing ignition retard from the noise the aftermarket cam and lifters were making, Swapped the sensor to LT4, and it completely eliminated the problem. Good luck.
Owned forged pistons for over ten years and zero problems with anything related to pistons. They will be a bit noisy when cold, but that goes away in a couple minutes.

You can also program the computer regarding retard but I own tuning software keeping the stock setting.

The only problem you have is posting in the wrong section.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

You will never detect the forged piston "slapping". Also, the ECU is not even looking at knock until the engine is up to minimum temp and goes into high gear. It will then advance timing just over the knock point, then retard it just under.
I wouldn't even consider a cast piston in a serious engine build. Some of the newer hyperutectic pistons made be Ok, but you cannot go wrong with a good forged piston.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A
You will never detect the forged piston "slapping". Also, the ECU is not even looking at knock until the engine is up to minimum temp and goes into high gear. It will then advance timing just over the knock point, then retard it just under.
I wouldn't even consider a cast piston in a serious engine build. Some of the newer hyperutectic pistons made be Ok, but you cannot go wrong with a good forged piston.
No problems with my LPE 403 motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Forged pistons

Quick Reply: Forged pistons