C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRACTIONMONSTER part of the solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:16 AM
racerx8
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Spin great write up, great info for all.
Since I'm a road racer I like the handling aspect of my car and with my modded Z51 A6 coupe w/CCWs 18/19 and Z06 rubber , it handles well, but some better Nitto's in comparable sizes would be even better.
and yes, CoW Chuck is a good guy.
Thanks for all the info. Joe
Old 01-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by k0bun
Has anyone heard anything about the new Michelin RFs supposedly coming out?
Ive been pestering them at SEMA for 2 years, all I can get is "they're coming soon".
Old 01-26-2008, 11:19 AM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Ive been pestering them at SEMA for 2 years, all I can get is "they're coming soon".
Ha...obviously they have a drastically different interpretation as to what "coming soon" means. Thanks Craig.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:35 AM
dkrhardy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spin ... that is a very, very good write-up! I think you have put the whole thing into proper perspective.

One note, if I may ........ (and I AM paraphrasing here) you said with a welded, wider, wheel that the "weak" theory is a myth. I agree, but only if it is a proper weld. A good weld may even be stronger than the surrounding material. I'm not trying to question any members intelligence, just stating that one must be very careful to choose a good welder/shop to do this sort of thing.

I really enjoy reading a thread/post when the author has done some excellent sleuthing to give us great information. Bravo Zulu Spin!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Spin good write-up - in the road race section of the forum we are always debating tires, traction and handling (the discussions are the main reason I switched over to Hoosiers R6 and now A6 on the track from Kumhos). Power really isnt the issue, but going around a turn at 100mph versus 80mph is.....

When I went to my 18in CCWs I out Micheillin Pilot Sport Cups on the rims. Everyone was like WTF those tires have barely any tread on them and you cant use them in pouring rain. I said the tire is designed for maximun traction/handling on dry surfaces and I can get away with them for light rain (they were orginally bought as a rain tire for HPDEs) just have to watch standing water (I would also note that they are not great in freezing weather until they heat up, but all r-compound tires suffer from this).

Anyway I took out a friend who had C5Z with the F1s and we came around a turn by his house. He was like HOLY CHIT MAN my car would have slide off the road at that speed. Instead of sliding my car wanted more. I was amazed with how much better they were over the runcraps and F1s.

Oh and if you have any doubt of their performance look what comes on this car

Edo-Competition 2007 Porsche Carrera GT

My old setup (295F / 315R)

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 01-26-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ZO6 Fan
When I purchased my MTs they hadn't offered a 305 sized tire -that is relatively new and the guy who sold me the 17" wheels told me they would fit and never mentioned that they would stick out "slightly" Once these tires are done I'll probably sell the wheels and move up to the 305/18" wheel combo. P.S. What 18" wheel Do those 305s fit on? Thanks
I run my 305-35-18 555rii's on stock C5 rear wheels - at 10.5" they are a little narrow but I've never had any problems and they fit on the C6 perfectly. 18" Z06 wheels will stick out an inch on the C6. I also run 275-40-17 555rii's on stock C5 front wheels on my C6, which requires me to use base c6 rotors (which you want to do on the track anyway, drilled rotors are no good for track use).

Spin wanted a matched set of wheels and no way you can put 305 tires on stock 8.5 front c6 wheels so he had his widened.

If you want matching wheels with 555rii's the cheapest option is C5 standard sizes. That is if you like the looks of them.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Hey Joe,

Do you have any pics of them on your car?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Hey Joe,

Do you have any pics of them on your car?
I just looked and I sure don't. I'm using wagon wheels for track days - mighty strong and super cheap wheels but not the prettiest so I don't have any pics.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:52 PM
JLINDSEY2
Racer

So, what it "the" tire in drag radials that will fit on C6 fronts or is there a 19" drag radial tire looming on the horizon?

Joe, how does that tire you are using hook up? I assume that is a Nitto, and I further assume that the Mickey Thompsom would fit that rim also-- Your thoughts?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Z51 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very cool Spin
Old 01-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JLINDSEY2
So, what it "the" tire in drag radials that will fit on C6 fronts or is there a 19" drag radial tire looming on the horizon?

Joe, how does that tire you are using hook up? I assume that is a Nitto, and I further assume that the Mickey Thompsom would fit that rim also-- Your thoughts?
Here is my setup:
Nitto 555rii's 275-40-17 and 305-35-18 on C5 wagon wheels for road course duty.

Mickey Thompson 275-40-17's on C5 front wheels for drag strip use.

Stock runflats for street use - I daily drive my car in frequent rains in a suit and I don't want to be stranded with a flat on my way to/from work or a meeting or with a customer. I don't street race and in fact seldom even get on my car on the street. At my level 436/392 I have very adequate traction, of course I can spin my wheels if I don't drive properly, but balancing traction is a skill very useful regardless of the venue.

My use of my car for all 3 venues dictates 3 sets of tires. Personally, so long as Spinmonster doesn't drive in the rain and exercises extreme caution if he gets caught, I think he chose the PERFECT tire for his non-daily driver use since he still wants to corner. DR's are terrible around corners, at least M/T's are. I am nervous driving on them to the track every time worried I'd have to make an abrupt lane change - the rear is wobbly with those thin sidewalls, but that's how they get all their traction on the strip.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:44 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JLINDSEY2
Does the 305/35/18 MT tire fit the STOCK C6 front wheels, or did you mean it would fit your modified C6 fronts? I ask only because I am buying some "spare" drag only tires/wheels and would like to keep it looking stock "ish".
NO! You cannot put those M/T 305 DRs on an 8.5" rim...as Spin has already mentioned, he had a front 18x8.5" set widened to 11"...that tire can really only be properly used on a rim of 10" to about 12" wide.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:04 PM
carnut2912
Instructor

Great post I'm always impresseed by how much you know about cars. Every time I read one of your post's I understand a little more about my car. Thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 03:08 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
No amount of power a C6 can develope will be too much for a wheel widened by weldcraft. I had wheels widened 20+ years ago for my dart. In the N2O classes I was looking at 1200HP and the initial runs with those wheels never broke them. I couldnt get the power to the ground. I still own the car and its welded wheels. I wasnt suggesting you use anyone but an established company in the business.
Weldcraft widened wheels are not second best to anything. I knew there would persist a lot of predjudice concerning the widening topic but I figured with my experiences alone it would spark some interest to at least get some people to do a search or make a phone call. Still most people are asking what tires fit stock rims and what wheels fit without going through the process. Widened stock wheels are far stronger than a reproduction wheel.
I never questioned the quality/intregrity of a properly widened rim by a reputable company such as Weldcraft but my main issue/concern is weight. Stock wheels weigh enough as it is and widening them can only increase that (though certainly not by too much and they'll still weigh less than most repros). And we ALL know the effects that heavier rims can have on performance in both a straight line AND in the corners.

But from a cost or stock appearance/sleeper perspective while still looking to do it correctly, there is NO other better alternative than what Spin has done here.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:27 PM
mkr3686
Instructor

Awesome write up Spin. I have this bookmarked now for future reference.

I do have a question though. Is it possible to order a pair of front Z06 rims and mount them on the front of the C6. Then take those front C6 rims and widen them to 11" and use on the rear? Not sure if the offset on the front Z06 rims would still tuck in nicely on the C6 or if those rim demensions are exactly the same other than the extra inch of width.

Part of the reason I am thinking this is that when I order my vette next month I want the comp grey rims. I like the look of them and would want to try and keep the same rims while widening them all to increase handling and performance.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Gotcha
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

Spin

Nice work, Glad to see another Weldcraft / stock fender combo

I never considered taking an 18 x 8.5" front to 11".

Did you have to modify the wheelwell liner? Also, you might want to consider the LPE shock brackets to shorten up the negative travel of the suspension and gain control arm clearance. I can get you the part numbers, they are about $60 pair.

Last edited by Gotcha; 01-26-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:57 PM
C6BOOST
Intermediate

This is a very interesting idea. I've been trying to find a way to keep the stock look while running a stickier tire and this is seems like a great solution. One thing that concerns me about this is the rubbing issue. Do you think a 10.5 inch wheel would not rub on a slightly lowered car? I'm also wondering if the 305 tire is going to look fine on a 10.5 inch wheel?

Also, have you looked at any replica wheels that come in 18x10.5 or 18x11 sizes? Unless one gets a great deal on OEM fronts like you did, this seems like a more cost effective alternative...

Get notified of new replies

To TRACTIONMONSTER part of the solution

Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Gotcha
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

The only rubbing he is getting is when the car is jacked up (suspension completely unloaded). The inside of the wheel is right up to the upper control arm. It wouldn't matter if the car was lowered or not.

There are no replica wheels with the correct offsets. Even if there were, I'd choose a widened oem wheel, over a cast replica any day.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:36 PM
C6BOOST
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
They will fit on 10.5 but the 11" is fine. I put 200 miles on the car today driving over speed bumps and every type of driving that there could be and it never hit the marks I made to check it including a black magic marker around the entire circumference of the wheel's rear edge. I tried uneven pavement, driveways that are very tall where the front always hits, everything....no normal driving issue will ever get it to hit. I had to jack it up 10" off the ground to get it to hit.

Shock travel limiters are available from Lingenfelter for this purpose. The car would have to dispalce about 10" off the ground to hit the spot on the control arm....and so what if it did? It would be a momentary rub and not a major issue with the wheel turning. It isnt a big hit. If it were a 12" wide wheel I would think there would be an issue.

As for the replicas, there arent any in that size for a stock 5 spoke wheel. The 9.5 wide ones stock out and look pretty bad.

Replicas again, are very weak compared to a stock widened wheel. And what are you really saving? Mine were 700 complete with all shipping. I didnt have to refinish them, paint or chrome. My car looks like it came this way. A cheap repro is 500 shipped for the pair? 200 bucks is nothing. I cant believe it when a guy gets a stroker with twin turbos and gets a cheap set of chrome repros at 9.5" to run a 295 drag radials that sticks out. It like having a custom taylored Enzo suit made and getting a pair of shoes at Modell's. By the way, the suits for those who need custom tailering: Enzo's in New Hyde Park was unreal. He makes my suits that fit me to a "T" even if I put my arms over head. Nice guy, cash only... 1200 or so...

I wasnt looking for the easy way out or a cheaper way out. I was looking for the optimum set-up. A widened wheel is stronger, lighter, and fits perfectly; even at 11". Even if you could find one that was 11 inches with an amount of silly sticking out that you can live with, they still arent going to be the right color.

The stock wheels are a joke to find even at 150 for a set. Once widened, there is no reason to go with a sub standard manufactured wheel that is heavier, weaker, the wrong color, and it doesnt fit. I paid a bit more (200 instead of the 150 everyone else wanted) because the guy selling them said I would receive a perfect paint surface without a single scratch. Not having to refinish the wheels is a big part of the savings.

I wasnt looking for a weekend drag radial rim. This is my permanant wheel/tire set-up for me 24/7 and in bad weather if I should get stuck in the rain. The 555R2 is a wet performer too. I could have sacrificed more in some areas with gains in others. I only lost in one area: the longevity of the tire is 15k. Since I'm not spinning all the time the tires will undoubtedly last longer than my runflats whcih I replaced at 5500 miles in the rear.

This was a performance mod. The gas mileage/leave it stock guys should stay with runflats.
Thanks for the feedback. Good point on the color too. I've never seen replicas that match too well... At 700whp this may be a way to get some usable power out of this car after all. I think that most FI folks on this forum that are interested in this thread are way beyond gas milage/keep it stock I guess I'm out shopping for a set of C6 fronts now...
Old 01-26-2008, 06:44 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Default ***Don't overlook the new 19" Toyo R888***

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
do you think nitto would ever release a 555R2 for a 19inch rim? id be hooked (literally)
No, but Toyo, the same company that makes Nitto tires, has exactly the tire you are lloking for: the brand new R888.

Comes in a 295/30-19 and goes right on your 19x10 oem rim. It is a newer and better tire than the RII and the Proxes RA-1.

Quick Reply: TRACTIONMONSTER part of the solution