C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew up my motor!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:21 AM
3544S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTRotary: I agree, I think the marvel mystery oil or the octane booster, may have been contributing factors, to some degree at least. As far as the tune... Well, I took the car to several shops from Utah to Nevada, from Texas to California. The last tuner in Southern California did the best, in terms of having the car run as close to factory, but as others have stated on this forum.. "a modded car will never run as good as a factory car". Sadly, but true, she never ran perfect, regardless of how many tuners I took her to. These last guys in southern california, spent hours tuning her and did a good job. They didnt just tune her on the Dyno, they had me driver her around the city streets, while they sat next to me with a lap-top, fine tuning everything. I dont want to say who the shop was, because there were some comments made on this post, that suggested that the tune may have had something to do with my engine crappin out. I dont believe the tune had anything to do with my engine crappin out. I really feel these guys did a superb job tuning my car. So, I dont want to throw their name out there. I dont want to chance even a remote possibility, that in the minds of some readers, this shop may receive some sort of negative publicity. Its not fair to them or to any of you.

I've had some negative experiences with shops (one in particular, in Nevada) and they've done some pretty half-*** work. Again, I wont mention names, but I'm sure they know who they are.

PowerLabs: Hey Brotha, sounds like you had one hell of a car.

jschindler: Sure Brotha, try it! Then lets give our boy "07 Z51" (matrimony Attorney here on the forum) a call. Maybe he'll have a "two for one" special this month and hook us both up with representation? LOL, Just kidding

Tommy D: Well, as far as waiting for the engine to come apart... My "Father in Law" swung by today. The plan was to tear the engine apart and see whats going on in there and see what can be salvaged. However, upon arriving and listening to the engine, he recommended that I just replace the engine and not even bother trying to figure out whats wrong it. He said, "something is definately broke and it doesnt sound like its anything cheap, you might as well get that forged short block". So, we just watched the game instead (now this could have just been an excuse to go in and see the game? I dont know?). So, I'm going to order everything at the end of the month and get her going again. I'm sure I'll know more when the engine gets yanked out later this month.

1.8t: No, I think its good advice. If your going to spend the money on a tuner, you definately want that tuner to take that extra step, to ensure the tune is done right. I think tuning on a Dyno and then fine tuning on the road, under normal driving conditions, is equally important during a tune. A good, reputable tuner will do this for you, without you even asking him to.

Vetteoholic: You know, I think your right. I think I was over the limit on my factory bottom end. I was originally at 5psi of boost (550RWHP with an automatic tranny).

I think I would have been okay, if I just kept her there. But, then I got "greedy" and put a smaller pulley. I went to 9psi of boost (605RWHP with the auto tranny). That poor engine lasted two months and then... well the rest is history. Sadly, in the midst of all of this, would you believe that I still have that little "greedy" streak and I want even more HP? Yup, I want to get the forged motor and maybe go up a little in the boost. If its safe to do so, that is. If not, I'll stay where I am. Hell, to be honest with you, I cant even use what I got. In paddle shift mode, 1st and 2nd just spin the tires and 3rd will too, if I'm not careful. So, whats the sense of adding more HP?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I understand 3544S. I agree with others who say that boost + stock motor...it's only a matter of time. That forged motor will get you where you want to go.

And PowerLabs makes the best point here: tune for a looooong highway pull, not for the big number.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:53 AM
3544S
Advanced

TTRotary: Thanks Brotha, sounds like good advice.

So, what do you guys think about "callies" components? Who are some reputable names that I can order a short block from?

Last edited by 3544S; 02-06-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Vetteoholic
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

3544S : I hear you with still wanting to add more power. It's so addictive, it's almost like a drug Once I started I couldn't stop!
Once you get that bullet proof forged motor you should be good to go with all the boost you can handle. I also hear you with the traction in the lower gears... It's useless for me to get on it until 3rd.(Cool Days) My best solution was Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires and feathering the clutch and throttle off the line. The PS2's actually made a real difference
PS2's are very good but expensive tires, well worth the cost I.M.O ~During a the Summertime I get really good traction, I can actually nail it halfway through 1st gear and this baby just goes!
Anyway, keep us updated with what your going to do mod wise and good luck to ya

Last edited by Vetteoholic; 02-04-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 AM
3544S
Advanced

Vetteoholic: Sounds good brotha, I'm almost ready for new tires, so I'll keep those tires in mind. Once I get the car running again, of course
Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 AM
his grace
Instructor

Originally Posted by craftfox
I am willing to bet it is a busted Ring land. I have seen 3 in 4 months. The bottom oil ring land (don't ask me why) lifts and breaks. The cars will still run, but whatever cylinder will go dead with oil. I saw this happen on ls1's also, The few that did not have rods turn into dust.

Good luck with wifey. DO NOT BUY A TEXES SPEED SHORT BLOCK!!!!!
Are they in Lubbock? Just curious because I was going to have them install exhaust and tune it.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 AM
his grace
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3544S
[B.

Well, I had enough and I stood up to her. I sent her to her moms, took away the keys to her lexus, took her off of my bank account (equivalent to sending your kids to their rooms and putting them on time-out). Well, she came back two weeks later. I'm happy to report that I'm getting laid more than I ever have in 16 years and she's now helping me pick out my motor for the vette. I even caught her reading one of my corvette magazines in bed last night.
That is so awesome
Old 03-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Plano76vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Great read man.

Good luck with the need for speed!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Man this is good...I gotta catch up with the whole story later.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
It really doesn't matter what you put in it, you aren't going to have the car long anyway. And it doesn't matter how much you spend, because you are about to lose half of everything you have.

I hate to be so blunt, but you DID put it out there for all of us to see and judge. You can't put a car before your wife and expect the marraige to last. You marriage will end up just like your first engine did.
This is the first post in here that really makes sense.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:23 AM
o0 zeno 0o
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3544S
What are my options? Please help me out guys, all of your input is appreciated.
Forged LS3 with your current heads should run you ~8k installed. The extra displacement should do you well.

Quick Reply: Blew up my motor!