C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW! Installed my headers. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:23 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default WOW! Installed my headers. Pics inside.

The car:
My 2006 Z51 2LT Corvette, current relevant mods are a Vararam CAI and GHL exhaust (quad 4" tips).
The headers:
Kooks 1 3/4 Long Tube, JetHot Coated, 3" catted X-pipe.
The tools:
Car jack, Jackstands, Torque Wrench (used 18ft-lbs for the header bolts and 45ft-lbs for the exhaust clamps), and a craftsman 165pc tool set.

I wouldn't run uncoated headers on any car; for me the reduction in underhood temperatures (and lessened chance of melting plug wires) is the main reason; the performance gain from maintaining high exhaust gas temperatures and the improved looks and longevity are also pluses.
I went with kooks because I could get them coated from Tbyrne, and because when you add the cost of coating, other header options start to become too expensive for the power gains they provde, imho.

I did the install myself, with the help of my neighbor; this was my second time ever working on my 'Vette; I had no printed instructions or service manual, but I did look over
Vetteweb's C6 Header Install Instructions beforehand.

The install took 5 hours, which included a snack break, some beers, and taking the pictures. The kooks fit PERFECTLY and I am extremely satisfied with the fit and finish.

The process:

Jacked the car up and stand it on jackstands. I needed about 15" of ground clearance for this.

Removed the engine covers, the spark plug wires, and the oil dipstick. The dipstick pulls right out after you remove one single bolt. Also make sure you remove the battery positive; if you don't, the headers will short out your battery on contacting the starter motor. Don't ask me how I know. At this point, loosen all bolts. You may not want to remove them all just yet.

In retroscpect, it would have been easier to remove all the above BEFORE jacking the car up.

Do not bother attempting to remove the exhaust manifold into catalytic converter nuts. They will ALL shear:

Nice view of what the stock manifold collector looks like though. Compare it with what Kooks uses:

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is what a 4-into-1 merge collector should look like

The proper method of removing the stock manifolds is to leave them connected to the cats and remove them at the H pipe connection. I did not have to remove the alternator, starter, or anything else in order to accomplish that.

Having removed the stock headers and cats, I moved the O2 sensors over. They were easy to remove. Don't forget the antiseize.

Last edited by PowerLabs; 03-06-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Now it was time to get the new headers in. I installed them from below, but could not have done it without help. I held them up while my neighbor (thanks Les!) put the bolts on. Don't forget the gaskets; I re-used the stock ones as they are 3 layer steel and better than the ones that come with Kooks. Just make sure to clean them up nicely beforehand. I kept all bolts lose for now:

I then installed the catted X pipe, one section at a time; I was able to push the axleback exhaust out of the way to get the rear section of the X pipe in; wasn't easy, but just be patient...

Finally, I used aluminum tape to hold the O2 wires out of the way. Aluminum tape reflects heat, but it does not appear to be a very durable option. Still looking for a better way to do this.

Last edited by PowerLabs; 03-06-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:38 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Default So, how does it work?

So there you have it... A 5 hour install using nothing but a car jack, jackstands, and basic hand tools. It WAS laborious, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Actually, I am doing it again; my neighbor was so impressed that he ordered headers for his car a few days later
But of course the question is: How does it perform?

First of all... *WOW*!!! Jesus Christ I never through a car -any car- could sound like this! Damn! It is slightly louder at idle and cruising, but when I floor it and the revs climb up towards the 3500+ range, the engine lets out a wail unlike ANYTHING I've ever heard before. It is unique, special and downright exotic. I absolutely love it!
Other than the sound at WOT, the car feels and drives as normal, despite not having been tuned. I haven't seen any change in fuel economy, engine bay temperature, etc.
At full throttle it certainly feels faster, but I will refrain from commeting too much on the performance until I get the car tuned this Saturday .

I love my car, and these headers make me love it just a little bit more

Last edited by PowerLabs; 03-06-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:10 AM
ChargedC6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:53 AM
MostWanted
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome write up!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great write up!!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:44 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Need to secure those wires to the O2 sensors. Should they contact the header, melt and short out, the car will run like crap, if it runs at all. Your local hardware store can supply electrical clips that work great. We also used some nomex tube material to further insure no heat related issues. Nice install.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 AM
sea six
Burning Brakes

Nice post! I did the same project on my 06. I drilled a hole in the tunnel over the back 02 sensors to route the wire up and out of the way. Then used the al. tape around the wires. Just another thought.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Monterrey Bill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Nice write up, well done
Old 03-06-2008, 07:23 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
It is a fun project with some worthwhile sound and sotp results.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 AM
GMRULZ
Pro

Looks like the write up I did on AR headers. The only diff is AR provided 6 of these little clamps that have an eye that goes through the torque tube cover bolts and routes the wires out of the way. sounds like Kooks forgot to pack them or maybe they don`t provide them. Not sure. But looks good!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 AM
sdz
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Very nice. Headers are on my list for this summer hopefully.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 AM
avacorvette
Burning Brakes

Location: Canonsburg home of Yenko Chevy (gone but not forgotten) Western PA

Nice real nice. I'm puttin some on this summer so thanks for the info for my install.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post and take pics. Stuff like this makes this place great. Can't wait to do mine someday.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:50 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice I can't wait to do the install on my 4 post. I need to find the car.....still looking. If anyone has a 08 silver Z51 MN6 used let me know.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 AM
C7cmnthru
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Great write up. Do you have a tune/will u be getting a tune and did you throw any codes?
Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Nice Job Sam! Nothing like the gratification of doing it yourself!

Get notified of new replies

To WOW! Installed my headers. Pics inside.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Excellent job, and great write up! Headers + GHL = Sound of Fury
Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

The car:
My 2006 Z51 2LT Corvette, current relevant mods are a Vararam CAI and GHL exhaust (quad 4" tips).

The headers:
Kooks 1 3/4 Long Tube, JetHot Coated, 3" catted X-pipe.

The tools:
Car jack, Jackstands, Torque Wrench (used 18ft-lbs for the header bolts and 45ft-lbs for the exhaust clamps), and a craftsman 165pc tool set.

I wouldn't run uncoated headers on any car; for me the reduction in underhood temperatures (and lessened chance of melting plug wires) is the main reason; the performance gain from maintaining high exhaust gas temperatures and the improved looks and longevity are also pluses.
I went with kooks because I could get them coated from Tbyrne, and because when you add the cost of coating, other header options start to become too expensive for the power gains they provde, imho.

I did the install myself, with the help of my neighbor; this was my second time ever working on my 'Vette; I had no printed instructions or service manual, but I did look over
Vetteweb's C6 Header Install Instructions beforehand.

The install took 5 hours, which included a snack break, some beers, and taking the pictures. The kooks fit PERFECTLY and I am extremely satisfied with the fit and finish.

The process:
Jacked the car up and stand it on jackstands. I needed about 15" of ground clearance for this.

Removed the engine covers, the spark plug wires, and the oil dipstick. The dipstick pulls right out after you remove one single bolt. Also make sure you remove the battery positive; if you don't, the headers will short out your battery on contacting the starter motor. Don't ask me how I know. At this point, loosen all bolts. You may not want to remove them all just yet.

In retroscpect, it would have been easier to remove all the above BEFORE jacking the car up.

Do not bother attempting to remove the exhaust manifold into catalytic converter nuts. They will ALL shear:

Nice view of what the stock manifold collector looks like though. Compare it with what Kooks uses:

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is what a 4-into-1 merge collector should look like

The proper method of removing the stock manifolds is to leave them connected to the cats and remove them at the H pipe connection. I did not have to remove the alternator, starter, or anything else in order to accomplish that.

Having removed the stock headers and cats, I moved the O2 sensors over. They were easy to remove. Don't forget the antiseize.

Now it was time to get the new headers in. I installed them from below, but could not have done it without help. I held them up while my neighbor (thanks Les!) put the bolts on. Don't forget the gaskets; I re-used the stock ones as they are 3 layer steel and better than the ones that come with Kooks. Just make sure to clean them up nicely beforehand. I kept all bolts lose for now:

I then installed the catted X pipe, one section at a time; I was able to push the axleback exhaust out of the way to get the rear section of the X pipe in; wasn't easy, but just be patient...

Finally, I used aluminum tape to hold the O2 wires out of the way. Aluminum tape reflects heat, but it does not appear to be a very durable option. Still looking for a better way to do this.

So there you have it... A 5 hour install using nothing but a car jack, jackstands, and basic hand tools. It WAS laborious, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Actually, I am doing it again; my neighbor was so impressed that he ordered headers for his car a few days later
But of course the question is: How does it perform?

First of all... *WOW*!!! Jesus Christ I never through a car -any car- could sound like this! Damn! It is slightly louder at idle and cruising, but when I floor it and the revs climb up towards the 3500+ range, the engine lets out a wail unlike ANYTHING I've ever heard before. It is unique, special and downright exotic. I absolutely love it!
Other than the sound at WOT, the car feels and drives as normal, despite not having been tuned. I haven't seen any change in fuel economy, engine bay temperature, etc.
At full throttle it certainly feels faster, but I will refrain from commeting too much on the performance until I get the car tuned this Saturday .

I love my car, and these headers make me love it just a little bit more

EXCELLENT WRITE UP!

This should be put in the FAQ section. Way to go, good job man!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by GMRULZ

...Looks like the write up I did on AR headers...
GMRULZ,

Your write up with pics was an EXCELLENT HEADER INSTALL WRITE UP too, way to go!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1441406

GOOD job man!

Quick Reply: WOW! Installed my headers. Pics inside.