C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a converter with 3.42s in the A6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

My A6,with Maggie,3.15's,cam,and 2800 Percision stall is a "wicked" combo!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 1bdasvt
Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default I don't doubt it......

I don't doubt it......There's no question. But, I suspect you don't finish the quarter in 4th.....

But...How's traction???? Your'e absolutely right...It's a BEAST....but....

For MOST (and you see I underlined MOST) it's an extra expense you don't need......There's more to it than that.....but, that's the skinny.

EVERY car and driver has different wants. If you're not expecting to be the fastest is the world....The DIFF is better than the converter any day....

When you want to combine them together....Talk to someone who knows......Like me.

Chuck CoW
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 PM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
NOBODY has tuned more A6s than me and I've come across a good few converter cars...I've even tested/tuned one of the very first A6 converters available..... Truth is that THEY WORK.....
thanks chuck your just the guy i was wanting to hear from since i have your tune and was planning on having you install them when i get around to this mod

these cars that you did tune with the converters what kind of gears did they have and were they the A6s?

thanks
dicky
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

very nice -how is it around town and stop/go traffic?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
very nice -how is it around town and stop/go traffic?

Awesome!! Thanks for asking!
It drives{and sounds} like a freekin racecar.
Chuck is right though as far as traction,,You have to have the right tires and know how to apply the gas accordingly!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:42 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

I don't doubt it......There's no question. But, I suspect you don't finish the quarter in 4th.....

But...How's traction???? Your'e absolutely right...It's a BEAST....but....

For MOST (and you see I underlined MOST) it's an extra expense you don't need......There's more to it than that.....but, that's the skinny.

EVERY car and driver has different wants. If you're not expecting to be the fastest is the world....The DIFF is better than the converter any day....

When you want to combine them together....Talk to someone who knows......Like me.

Chuck CoW
with You Chuck!
It takes the right combination of things to make the car drive right!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Awesome!! Thanks for asking!
It drives{and sounds} like a freekin racecar.
Chuck is right though as far as traction,,You have to have the right tires and know how to apply the gas accordingly!

Thanks. I like FI applications for street because of the street manners and like to know what other setups work.

As far as traction - well it is what you make of it. If you increase your HP you would be foolish to think that the runcraps will hold you. IMHO moving to another tire is part of the deal. I like R-compound tires for the street with my 565rwhp, but then again I am use to the power from RR training.

I see the RR tracks a ton and we constantly have learning sessions. You learn to squeeze the pedal versus mashing it. You also learn to balance the car with the gas pedal (as well as with the brake pedal). When you learn the how to drive better and respect the power you will find that traction is less of an issue.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:31 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
Thanks. I like FI applications for street because of the street manners and like to know what other setups work.

As far as traction - well it is what you make of it. If you increase your HP you would be foolish to think that the runcraps will hold you. IMHO moving to another tire is part of the deal. I like R-compound tires for the street with my 565rwhp, but then again I am use to the power from RR training.

I see the RR tracks a ton and we constantly have learning sessions. You learn to squeeze the pedal versus mashing it. You also learn to balance the car with the gas pedal (as well as with the brake pedal). When you learn the how to drive better and respect the power you will find that traction is less of an issue.

True words of wisdom.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,096 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Really?
I know there was some concern over the complicated TCM/electronics surrounding the 6L80 trans and introducing a higher stall converter into the mix but it appears that's all been worked out now.
Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
WTF....a stall is the best mod you can do to an auto tranny.

For a car raced at the strip I would do a converter before swapping the gears.

Converter and gears is often one of the best bang for the buck upgrades to an automatic equipped vehicle, it gives the car a whole new "aggressive" feeling to it. If that's what your looking for then go for it, like any mod, make sure it suits you and your driving needs. Adding a cooler should certainly not make or break any mod decision IMO.

Originally Posted by lilpuu
I'm a newbie on this type of stuff. does the 2008 C6 A6 have a stall converter installed? And if so, does it come to play when I press the brake pedal on acceleration?
Every auto has a converter, adding an aftermarket converter raises the stall speed. Think of it as having a six speed and leaving at a higher rpm if you wish too.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:11 AM
mkr3686
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In response to Chuck @ CoW on converters......

I'm sure he already knows this but it was not mentioned in his education of converter use (and I really hope Ragtop chimes in).

A well build performance converter like a Yank or Vig is going to be smaller, lighter, and more efficient. That means that you should put more HP to the rear wheels especially in the upper RPM ranges.

I agree that gears are probably a better or equal choice on the A6 but the benefits of a "good" converter would still be noticed on an A6. While gearing is tight in the first couple gears, I think that the increased efficiency and the smaller amount of RPM drop on the up shifts would definitely make a noticeable difference in the 1/4 mile.

It would make sense to stick with a Vig 2800 or a Yank 3000 (somewhere in the 3000-3200 range max) on the A6 so that you aren't totally destroying your traction in lower gears but that is what DR's are for and easing into the throttle.

Ohh almost forgot, from everything I have seen, read, and experienced is that a 3000rpm stall converter will not generate much more heat than the stock converter.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:14 AM
11sec_lx
Advanced

Wouldn't it also stand to reason that a lower s.t.r would be beneficial, due to the steep lower ratios of the A6, especially when combined with 3.15 or 3.42 ring & pinion (provided one has a stickier tire), thus allowing for a more efficient converter in the higher rpms (more mph)? I hope I am not being Captain Obvious here. Haha!

Last edited by 11sec_lx; 03-28-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mkr3686

I agree that gears are probably a better or equal choice on the A6 but the benefits of a "good" converter would still be noticed on an A6. While gearing is tight in the first couple gears, I think that the increased efficiency and the smaller amount of RPM drop on the up shifts would definitely make a noticeable difference in the 1/4 mile.
i see most of the gear change outs on the A6s are with the 3.15 and a few of them have converters around the 3000 stall area and they seem to love them. like spin said in another thread if you lower (higher number) the gearing it should get traction faster so i just figuered it would work better than the 3.15s. im still leaning toward this combo just not sure what converter would be best.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:37 AM
mkr3686
Instructor

Dicky,

Let us know how it works out when you get it. You should stick with a Precision Industries or Yank converter as they have years of proven performance and build quality pieces of equipment. You should try calling both manufacturer's directly for more information as well as a couple forum vendors that have performed the said mods. I'm pretty sure that someone had said that Yank has an A6 converter but its not listed on the website yet.

Let us know how you make out!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
mkr3686
Instructor

Originally Posted by 11sec_lx
Wouldn't it also stand to reason that a lower s.t.r would be beneficial, due to the steep lower ratios of the A6, especially when combined with 3.15 or 3.42 ring & pinion (provided one has a stickier tire), thus allowing for a more efficient converter in the higher rpms (more mph)? I hope I am not being Captain Obvious here. Haha!
Yanks Corvette Converters typically have a low STR for a couple reasons, one is that it definitely increases top end efficiency and the other is that with the lighter weight of the back of the corvette and traction issues, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go with a real high STR of like 2.25 or 2.5.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ohh almost forgot, from everything I have seen, read, and experienced is that a 3000rpm stall converter will not generate much more heat than the stock converter.
Good point, especially considering that a good portion of any potential extra transmission heat that might be added from a higher stall will also be somewhat offset by it's lighter weight/smaller as you'd mentioned here:
I'm sure he already knows this but it was not mentioned in his education of converter use (and I really hope Ragtop chimes in).
A well build performance converter like a Yank or Vig is going to be smaller, lighter, and more efficient.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 11sec_lx
No not Captain Obvious at all actually, that's an excellent point and worth mentioning IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To a converter with 3.42s in the A6?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:02 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Yes, absolutely.....

Originally Posted by dicky
thanks chuck your just the guy i was wanting to hear from since i have your tune and was planning on having you install them when i get around to this mod

these cars that you did tune with the converters what kind of gears did they have and were they the A6s?

thanks
dicky
Yes, absolutely....They were all A6's....Some N/A, some TT and some S/C.....The guy with the A&A S/C kit wanted a 3.15 and additionally went against my advice and went for a converter too....

The car (with good drag radials) has marginal traction at best....FEELS LIKE A MONSTER...but, could be much faster if it had traction.....and also caused us to have to shift the car (in the tune) much earlier than we had wanted to keep it off the limiter.

End result....He's regretting the converter and wishes he had taken my advice and just stuck with the gears....The car is approaching the 10's but right now....only in the very low 11's. We both know the car is way faster than it runs.

REMEMBER: it is a boosted car..... 10 psi became like 13psi too prematurely due to RPM increase and RATE of RPM increase from the combo of converter and gear.....and he wanted it locked at 10.....which futher exaggerated his already marginal traction situation.....Plus the extra abuse and heat on the stock tranny....

I'm not saying that a Converter does not make more power when paired with a rear.....I've been loving that combo for ever...IT REALLY WORKS...

BUT, In my opinion....IN THE A6, it's jot not necessary....Somewhat due to the spread of the gears vs. available rpm's....

Realize that the engine RPM is always significantly ahead of the input of the trans and while it makes for more power to the trans, the trans is spinning slower and so are your wheels.

Some guys will find this works for them....I just don't think that it's a good move for A6's and recently (again, watch for my post this weekend.... ) we've been testing cams for the A6 crowd and we've got some really big cams that make nice power without the messy idle and NEED for a loose converter.

Watch and see.......
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 03-28-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Some guys will find this works for them....I just don't think that it's a good move for A6's and recently (again, watch for my post this weekend.... ) we've been testing cams for the A6 crowd and we've got some really big cams that make nice power without the messy idle and NEED for a loose converter.
Cool, looking forward to those 'cammed A6' track results posts this weekend.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

The car (with good drag radials) has marginal traction at best....FEELS LIKE A MONSTER...but, could be much faster if it had traction.....

My question is if 9 second corvettes on Good DRs are getting traction why cant a high 10 second car get traction? I watch vettes all day at Etown with no traction problems so either the driver is not heating the DRs properly, the DRs are over inflated, the track prep is crap or the driver doesn't know how to drive.

I would understand your point more if we were talking street tires on the street, but not DRs on the track.

Quick Reply: a converter with 3.42s in the A6?