C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a converter with 3.42s in the A6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:21 PM
mkr3686
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS

My question is if 9 second corvettes on Good DRs are getting traction why cant a high 10 second car get traction? I watch vettes all day at Etown with no traction problems so either the driver is not heating the DRs properly, the DRs are over inflated, the track prep is crap or the driver doesn't know how to drive.

I would understand your point more if we were talking street tires on the street, but not DRs on the track.
I'd have to agree.....

I have also watched video of guys on this forum with full bolt-ons, an M6 and 4.11 gears launch at 4000rpm and get good traction. How is it not possible then for an A6 with 3.42's and a smallish converter (3000 stall) not able to get any traction with appropriate DR's?

Regardless of traction issues off the start, we aren't even discussing the improved efficiency of torque converters. Go read Ls1.com or Ls1tech.com looking for all the converter posts from the past several years and people will become much more educated on its application and benefit at all rpm ranges not just the "launch".
Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mkr3686
I'd have to agree.....

I have also watched video of guys on this forum with full bolt-ons, an M6 and 4.11 gears launch at 4000rpm and get good traction. How is it not possible then for an A6 with 3.42's and a smallish converter (3000 stall) not able to get any traction with appropriate DR's?

Regardless of traction issues off the start, we aren't even discussing the improved efficiency of torque converters. Go read Ls1.com or Ls1tech.com looking for all the converter posts from the past several years and people will become much more educated on its application and benefit at all rpm ranges not just the "launch".
Very true and I do agree.
But I don't think Chuck/CoW is trying to tell us that converters in general are bad and/or don't work, I think he's trying to tell us that in the A6/6L80 equipped cars a converter is not the way to go, as in this is a whole new ballgame now and the rules have changed. Not sure if this is possible or not but maybe.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:36 PM
mkr3686
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Very true and I do agree.
But I don't think Chuck/CoW is trying to tell us that converters in general are bad and/or don't work, I think he's trying to tell us that in the A6/6L80 equipped cars a converter is not the way to go, as in this is a whole new ballgame now and the rules have changed. Not sure if this is possible or not but maybe.
I'm waiting to see how the CoW car with the Cam, Gears, and A6 fair up at the track. I'd be willing to bet that an A6 with gears and converter can match an A6 with gears + Cam. Typically a mild converter is good for an easy .4 in the 1/4 mile, I am not sure you will get that much or more with a Cam. Don't forget that the Cam install will cosst near 2x as much and also impact driveability a bit as well as possibly emissions.

I know that Chuck was referencing a post about Forced Induction with a converter. Guess what, a better converter will put more of that HP from the FI to the ground and do it more efficiently whether the increased stall is needed or not. Converters have a clutch plate mechanism in them just like a M6 clutch so it makes sense to get a strong converter to hold you FI power, use it more efficiently, and not risk exploding (minor exaggeration).

Heck the best setup would be, gears, cam, and converter all working together with the right programming!

Quick Reply: a converter with 3.42s in the A6?