C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank/Cam Position Sensor Relearn

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:16 PM
RE-ENTRY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crank/Cam Position Sensor Relearn

I changed a bad cam sensor and now my car starts and runs at its leisure. I know I need to do a relearn on the system. Does anyone know the steps in which to perform or does this have to be done at the dealer?

Your help is appreciated!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

give me some time and i will get out my books
Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Chevtech
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year and engine???
Old 04-16-2008, 02:05 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

it looks like you will need a good scan tool like tech 11 or snapon to do the relearn or dealer. ive got a snapon and you dont want to be there when they do the relearn
Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 PM
RE-ENTRY
Racer

Thanks! 2006 LS2
Old 04-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Chevtech
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RE-ENTRY
Thanks! 2006 LS2
Yes a Scanner, and here is how it's done. The WOT part is what Patton is referring to.

Install a scan tool.
Monitor the engine control module (ECM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
4.1. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).

4.2. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.

4.3. Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.

4.4. Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.

4.5. Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.

4.6. Block drive wheels.

4.7. Set parking brake.

4.8. DO NOT apply brake pedal.

4.9. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.

4.10. Apply and hold brake pedal.

4.11. Start and idle engine.

4.12. Turn A/C OFF.

4.13. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.

4.14. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

• CKP sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

Accelerate to WOT.
Release when the fuel cut-off occurs.
Test in progress
The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
• A CKP sensor replacement

• An engine replacement

• A ECM replacement

• A harmonic balancer replacement

• A crankshaft replacement

• Any engine repairs which disturb the CKP sensor relationship
Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

when I read posts like this I realize I am a retard. Some guys know and perform some serious stuff-WOW
Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 PM
daytraitors
Intermediate

Will the new bluetooth scan tools like the obdlink mx from scantool.net offer the ability to launch these learning procedures?

Are there specific snapon scanners that work, or can I just get their cheapest one if they all have this feature?

Originally Posted by Chevtech
Yes a Scanner, and here is how it's done. The WOT part is what Patton is referring to.

Install a scan tool.
Monitor the engine control module (ECM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
4.1. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).

4.2. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.

4.3. Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.

4.4. Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.

4.5. Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.

4.6. Block drive wheels.

4.7. Set parking brake.

4.8. DO NOT apply brake pedal.

4.9. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.

4.10. Apply and hold brake pedal.

4.11. Start and idle engine.

4.12. Turn A/C OFF.

4.13. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.

4.14. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

• CKP sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

Accelerate to WOT.
Release when the fuel cut-off occurs.
Test in progress
The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
• A CKP sensor replacement

• An engine replacement

• A ECM replacement

• A harmonic balancer replacement

• A crankshaft replacement

• Any engine repairs which disturb the CKP sensor relationship
Old 09-18-2013, 02:14 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just was at the dealer trying this procedure on my LS3 that has been cammed. The car is a race car, and I had to replace the ECU after it got fried for an unrelated reason.

Car had a new ECM installed, but the car was not happy idling with the stock tune that was associated with my VIN and uploaded to the ecm by the dealer.

We tried the relearn procedure with the car running on the stock tune, but no dice. I reflashed the ecm using HPTuner with my cal for the cam, and the car idled and revved fine.

Went to finish and do the relearn, and it keeps asking me to do the wide open throttle deal. This is at the dealer, with the GM tech using a tech 2.

Couldn't get it to learn.

Anyone hAve this experience, and how did you solve?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i don't understand why you have to relearn a cam sensor signal. I changed mine when my cam gear broke and never had this problem. Are you sure you have it plugged in ? Both conectors ? Don't forget there is an extension harness.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Craftness
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley
I just was at the dealer trying this procedure on my LS3 that has been cammed. The car is a race car, and I had to replace the ECU after it got fried for an unrelated reason.

Car had a new ECM installed, but the car was not happy idling with the stock tune that was associated with my VIN and uploaded to the ecm by the dealer.

We tried the relearn procedure with the car running on the stock tune, but no dice. I reflashed the ecm using HPTuner with my cal for the cam, and the car idled and revved fine.

Went to finish and do the relearn, and it keeps asking me to do the wide open throttle deal. This is at the dealer, with the GM tech using a tech 2.

Couldn't get it to learn.

Anyone hAve this experience, and how did you solve?

I have the same issue wi5h my tech 2 on my ls3 it doesnt cutt off not sure what I'm doing wrong
Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,131 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by Craftness
I have the same issue wi5h my tech 2 on my ls3 it doesnt cutt off not sure what I'm doing wrong
When you’re doing it are BOTH feet on the pedals ??...left foot has to be on the brake and REMAIN there while you push the gas pedal to fuel cutoff...a little awkward !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 03-02-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:41 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Holy ****! A DOUBLE zombie thread. I almost replied till I saw this was from 2008, resurrected in 2013.

Wow!
Old 04-25-2023, 12:26 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Crank/Cam Position Sensor Relearn

Quick Reply: Crank/Cam Position Sensor Relearn