C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Selective Ride Control - How does this work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:58 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by hognutz
I dare you to find any where I said it is not "any good"
Well, this seems like a pretty good place to start:

If the system was as good as it sound the f55 would out handle the z51. having now driven the z51 I love the ride and there is no need for softer IMO.
That sure has a strong taste of "F55 is not as good as Z51, buy the Z51" to me.

At any rate, I wasn't personally attacking you, so do the thang. All I was trying to say is that there is a place for in the real world for both options -- Z51 is right for some, F55 is right for others -- but don't just declare Z51 to be "superior" without telling the OP to go try both on for size and choose what's right for them.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 PM
hognutz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mneblett
Well, this seems like a pretty good place to start:

That sure has a strong taste of "F55 is not as good as Z51, buy the Z51" to me.

At any rate, I wasn't personally attacking you, so do the thang. All I was trying to say is that there is a place for in the real world for both options -- Z51 is right for some, F55 is right for others -- but don't just declare Z51 to be "superior" without telling the OP to go try both on for size and choose what's right for them.

so "not as good as it sounds" means "not good"?

it funny if you forget to read the part about "as as it sounds" then I guess your right?

I don't even know what to say about that. thats like saying I wish my wife cooked me dinner every night and then actually beliving that my wife cooks me dinner ever night. ha ha

when I read that blub on chevy's website about the system you would sure think that would hold a lateral g or something. it sound amazing.

I said buy one of the two. then I said IMO z51 was superior and gave my reasons. what I forgot to say was in stock vs stock configuation so then everybody thinks I mean the F55 is crap across the board. then people blind side that argument with mods you can do to the F55 to make it superior than a stock z51.

It is honestly an un-winable arguement either way if you just keep throwing out options.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:08 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

so "not as good as it sounds" means "not good"?

it funny if you forget to read the part about "as as it sounds" then I guess your right?

I don't even know what to say about that. thats like saying I wish my wife cooked me dinner every night and then actually beliving that my wife cooks me dinner ever night. ha ha

when I read that blub on chevy's website about the system you would sure think that would hold a lateral g or something. it sound amazing.

I said buy one of the two. then I said IMO z51 was superior and gave my reasons. what I forgot to say was in stock vs stock configuation so then everybody thinks I mean the F55 is crap across the board. then people blind side that argument with mods you can do to the F55 to make it superior than a stock z51.

It is honestly an un-winable arguement either way if you just keep throwing out options.
What the hell, I'll say it one more time. On a track (a smooth one), a Z51 equipped car will turn a faster lap time (which is just swell if you spend all your time on a track). Out on public roads, F55 equipped cars clearly handle better, are more composed and less nervous, and more enjoyable to drive quickly. I am basing this on stock Z51 verses stock F55.

Jimmy
Old 06-28-2008, 12:17 PM
hognutz
Racer

my last post on this topic just to clear up my reasons for choosing z51 over f55.

stock vs stock

1. z51 would beat an f55 in a drag race due to the wide ratio tranny. (given both people can drive obviously). I still like to go fast in a strait line too.

2. 6th gear is a little more usable due to being .57 instead of .5

3. car has more grip on paper and was kind of set up for mild track use

all someone has to do is post in some faster lap times with an F55 and I will belive everyone. I can't find them. too bad gm didn't run it on the ring that would give a pretty rough Idea on wether you guys are right.

I would definatly have to mod a f55 car though. So that meant no go for me. I would have to put gears in it and sways on it at minium and most likely tires. I think if you did this though the car would could be superior to an Z51 in some ways.

On a lighter note off topic I completely trashed a 2006 m3 last night. I was trying to avoid it but guy would not leave me alone and my stupidity took over. Some lesbian chick that used to date my wifes best freind has one and when I was ordered my vet she was trying to tell me that I should get one of those as they would spank a vet. wrong. and no she was not talking aobut the 2008 m3. I think people must think that new vet's still have 345hp or something.

Last edited by hognutz; 06-28-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a bizarre thread. My 2 cents:
The F55 is a great buy (+$300 over the Z51) for those that want to have a dampening choice and live in an area with crappy roads (like I do in NY). I can make it firm for going around corners, or on smooth roads. I can make it less firm for keeping fillings in mouth when having to drive through Queens or Brooklyn to get off of Long Island.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 PM
dtclark
Advanced

Originally Posted by KBoltz
I thought it was really cool - and seriously considered it. But, there were two determining factors in the equation:

1. Initial cost - Z51 is less expensive, with better swaybars, spring rates and oil coolers.
2. Upkeep cost - what happens when the car is out of warranty and the sensors go bad, or the dampners themselves take a crap? More money to replace than a Z51 car.

I ran into this problem with my F45 suspended C4. Damn shocks for the F45 are over 250 bucks each - for a 12 year old car. Forget trying to find the sensors if they go out. If you do find them, it will cost you an arm, leg and left ********.

Whose to say people don't run into the same problem with the C6 ten years down the road?

Now - I think the F55 would rock, but for what I do (street driven - occassional HPDE with the Porsche guys ) it was simpler to go with the Z51.

Great argument for a GMPP!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:47 PM
PETEGIFFEN
Heel & Toe

Default Fe2 suspension

hell yeah or 10. beer makes me so much smarter. ha ha. the active suspension has always intriqued me I came real close to ordering it. I was just parinoid if it was not quite the handling I wanted it is not like you can just upgrade the shocks.

If the weakness is mainly in tires or sways it could be corrected by $$$$
HI,GUYS... CURIOUS.... I HAVE THE FE2 (MAG.SUSP.) ON MY C6, AND WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN REPLACE THE SHOCKS WITH THE STOCK ZO6 ONES WITH OUT ANY ECM ISSUES ONCE I DISCONNECT THE FE2 SYSTEM.... AND WOULD THAT BE A DIRECT BOLT ON,OR WOULD IT TAKE SOME WORK...... I FOUND OUT THE OTHER DAY WHEN I PUT NEW TIRES ON IT.... MY FRONT RIGHT SHOCK WAS BLOWN....LEAKAGE...... AND REPLACEMENT COST (A GRAND) PER SHOCK..... UNBELIEVABLE.......
Old 09-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by PETEGIFFEN
HI,GUYS... CURIOUS.... I HAVE THE FE2 (MAG.SUSP.) ON MY C6, AND WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN REPLACE THE SHOCKS WITH THE STOCK ZO6 ONES WITH OUT ANY ECM ISSUES ONCE I DISCONNECT THE FE2 SYSTEM.... AND WOULD THAT BE A DIRECT BOLT ON,OR WOULD IT TAKE SOME WORK...... I FOUND OUT THE OTHER DAY WHEN I PUT NEW TIRES ON IT.... MY FRONT RIGHT SHOCK WAS BLOWN....LEAKAGE...... AND REPLACEMENT COST (A GRAND) PER SHOCK..... UNBELIEVABLE.......
First, turn off your caps key.

Second, gmpartshouse.com has the right front shock for $650 or so. You can install it yourself, it's pretty easy. A dealer will want too much money for this simple job.

Removing the shocks *will* generate BCM issues as the system communicates with the shocks, will know if they aren't there, and won't like it. You need to take BOTH the hardware and the software (using a Tech2) out of reach of the BCM. The "shock simulators" that some folks may talk about are for the C5 systems and don't work on the C6 (the C6 wants to see variable results when it runs self tests and the simulators are simple resistors that don't do that.)

We have discussed this issue at length here and different folks have had success switching from F55 to standard shocks using different means. We have never figured out just why what works on some cars doesn't work on others. We did this on my wife's car and it now works just great, but it was a major PITA for a while.

If I were you I'd just pony up the $$$ and replace the existing shock. The Z06 shocks are crummy. You'd be unhappy with them after the F55 system.

Where are you and what year is your car?

Z//
Old 09-11-2010, 06:06 PM
PETEGIFFEN
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by zoxxo
first, turn off your caps key.

Second, gmpartshouse.com has the right front shock for $650 or so. You can install it yourself, it's pretty easy. A dealer will want too much money for this simple job.

Removing the shocks *will* generate bcm issues as the system communicates with the shocks, will know if they aren't there, and won't like it. You need to take both the hardware and the software (using a tech2) out of reach of the bcm. The "shock simulators" that some folks may talk about are for the c5 systems and don't work on the c6 (the c6 wants to see variable results when it runs self tests and the simulators are simple resistors that don't do that.)

we have discussed this issue at length here and different folks have had success switching from f55 to standard shocks using different means. We have never figured out just why what works on some cars doesn't work on others. We did this on my wife's car and it now works just great, but it was a major pita for a while.

If i were you i'd just pony up the $$$ and replace the existing shock. The z06 shocks are crummy. You'd be unhappy with them after the f55 system.

Where are you and what year is your car?

Z//
yea, your probably right.... Just didnt intend to keep the car..... And didnt want to get to deep in her....... Its a 05'
Old 09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

yea, your probably right.... Just didnt intend to keep the car..... And didnt want to get to deep in her....... Its a 05'
You can always ask around and see if anyone has a used shock they'd part with. It's a long shot as most folks want to keep good ones as the price is as you discovered. But ya never know.

I'd also want to be sure that the shock really is bad. We've had stories on here about dealers being either ignorant or criminal with these things. $1000 a pop dealer price is a hefty incentive to sell new ones (and an obscene amount of money for a shock absorber regardless of what's inside of it.) Get under there yourself, wipe the shock clean, drive it for a few days, then check it to see if it's actually leaking. These MR shocks are designed to be long-lasting and the reports of problems with them are few indeed. I'd be wary.

Z//
Old 09-11-2010, 06:36 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I FOUND OUT THE OTHER DAY WHEN I PUT NEW TIRES ON IT.... MY FRONT RIGHT SHOCK WAS BLOWN....LEAKAGE
How do you KNOW it's blown? How reliable, knowledgeable is the person making that diagnosis?

I ask because it is very, very rare for these shocks to go bad. And they don't really "leak" like standard shocks. So if someone who doesn't know what they are looking at sees something they equate to seepage or leaking probably isn't. I'm just suggesting you get another opinion before deciding on anything. Good luck, please let us know what happens.

FYI, you should start your own thread to ask questions like this rather than attach to an existing thread.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

** Sorry posted before reading the entire threads, mine post is old news ...

Non Super Car Tires (300 or 320 Treadware) are the main factor why the Z51 pulls higher G's as it has a 220 Treadware tire.

F55 w/Z51 Sways and a 200 Treadware tire is a great setup.

Keep in mind, as you add Z51 Sways, Poly Bushings, Roll Bar for Vert the both the "Touring" and "Sport" mode get stiffer.

Ed

Last edited by doveboat; 09-11-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Read Other Threads
Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

F55 shocks generally don't wear out while regular shocks wear out at different rates.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:50 AM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so I have F55. I love the car, Today I went to my first auto cross. When I turned off the traction control my times were slower and the car felt like it was on ice. So my question is, Am I better off in the long run learning to be a better driver and leave the nanny off? Would adding the Z51 sway bar help the car handle better in autox?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 PM
America'sSportsCar
Instructor

Originally Posted by mneblett
The F55 does two primary things:
(1) it provides the user with the benefits of two suspensions in one, one setting with a softer bias for comfort for folks that want it (I like a firm suspension as much as the next guy, but the war zone that is labeled Constitution Ave. in Wash, DC *forces* me to switch to soft mode, just to keep my spine aligned!),
It's funny you say that because everytime I'm on Constitution Ave NW and I'm driving past the front of the stylish looking Federal Reserve Board Building, heading toward 17th ST, I always flip from Sport to Touring Mode. That middle and far right lane is so bumpy! They need to resurface that section!

Last edited by America'sSportsCar; 09-14-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Selective Ride Control - How does this work?