C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85monster: Conversion for E85

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Unsprung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With great interest, I'm looking forward to updates on your E85 conversions, Spin. Lots of folks are.

I recall a CF thread that queried E85 conversions:
E85 query thread

My favorite response is at the bottom of the first page: "Whew, I can't understand why a Vette owner would even ask a question like this."

LOL!

Keep on rolling and let the sharing continue.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:42 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by UberR32
I really think you need to take a look at the link you provided.

Again, those charts are based on comparing to 87/93 octane. Check the price spead on race gas vs E85. Its 105 octane and if you need race gas, thats why you do this mod. If you're looking to increase your mileage or reduce the cost of commuting, this isnt for you.

In those cases see the thread MethHeadMonster which gets you 115 octane on your N/A car but it isnt burning while youre cruising or on the hiway commuting. The N/A applications last far longer than FI applications because the nozzle is 1/2 the size of a single nozzle FI system or 1/4 of a dual nozzle system.

When modding cars to 800+ rwhp, I'm not looking at the logistics of this costing more than 93 octane.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 AM
orangecrrrush
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spin,

Nice write up. I have all three of my forced induction cars running E85 since last summer.

Corvette Magazine did a nice article on how I did it.

http://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/6...attan-transfer

Just some things to note.

1. Because the car is using %30 more fuel, the car runs out of gas fast. There is no riding the "E" with this setup. Once you see a quarter tank, you need to fill up. One of my cars is OL and I get 7mpg, on the CL car i get 12MPG

2. Get a octane tester at the local speed shop. The octane varies from station to station. I have seen an octane variation from 3 different stations + or -3 octane. In the winter the octane drops even further. It isn't like pump gas where stations guarantee the quality, it even says it on the pump.

3. invest in a aeroforce gauge. http://www.aeroforcetech.com/accessories.html It plugs into the OBD2 port and can be set up as a knock light. I set mine for anything above 2 degrees of KR to light up. When I am running high boost and the light flashes, I know to back off.

4. Make sure you buy the new high imp injectors that Inector dynamics sells or Fuel injector connection sells. They have all the offset data and can be tuned for idle easily. I tried to tune my car with ford 160LB low imp injectors and the car idled way too rich. I couldn't get the injector to pulse slow enough.

5. Just changing stoich is not good enough for the tune. There are a lot of tables that need to be changed for proper AFR. MAF, VE, PE and cranking tables for proper cold start.

6. Running widebands, make sure your WB will read E85. Some say they do, but don't properly. The LC1 innovate one doesn't.

Anybody need help or have questions, email me at tron20@optonline.net

my 2 cents,

Adam
Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 PM
06Rawpower
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Anyone that has converted their C6 to e85 have anything that would like to share about their conversion, pros/cons please?
hadnt seen any new posts since 12-01-2011...

I’ve been highly interested in this for my 2006 C6 Z51. I know that I’m about to compare apple to oranges here but a lifetime buddy of mine that’s a master mechanic and I were talking about the C6 e85 conversion this morning. He told me that he had converted his 96 Mustang GT to e85 not too long ago. The engine started having issues and this was a new engine. After pulling the heads off he noticed the seats & valve stems were eaten away. New heads with just 2 years of use. He was sure the blame was the e86. After seeing that he only uses gas now. Now, I don’t know what the valve seats & stems were made from, if that might make a difference. I know that my buddy doesn’t buy cheap parts as he’s also a big street dragster for many many years. His Mustang GT is a seasonal car.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Slow98teg
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the DSX flex kit with ID1050x's on my 2011 base C6. Those E85 horror stories are just that, stories. I ran my Integra on E85 since it was first put in my area back in 2008-2009 I think. Never any issues and never went back to 93 Haha. Ran my old evo x and RDX on it as well. My c6 has been on e85 since maybe last September. Hasn't seen 93 since then.
The following users liked this post:
06Rawpower (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 07:54 AM
06Rawpower
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Thank you Slow98teg I appreciate you chiming in and sharing your multi vehicle e85 experiences. I guess I just need to buildup my courage and convert my 06 C6 Z51. It only has 44k miles. We have a lot of e85 stations in our city including Meijers which sells e85 .80cents less than regular. Quite a lot of e85 stations here in Michigan and our Midwest area.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:04 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Whatever happened to Spin?

Quick Reply: E85monster: Conversion for E85