C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85monster: Conversion for E85

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:19 PM
silver_2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus just announced a recall or 200,000 plus cars due to corrosion of 10% ethanol causes on fuel system parts

According to Toyota's statement, some ethanol fuels with a low moisture content may corrode the internal surface of the fuel delivery pipes, resulting in a fuel leak over time. The pipe corrosion may trigger the malfunction indicator light in the vehicles, the company said.
If 10% ethanol can eat thru lexus parts imagine the issue with 85% ethanol
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
stanger383
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I run it in my 87 Grand National BBC and 106mm turbo. VERY mild tune I made 1157 RWHP at 14.6 psi boost. 3800 pound car ran 167mph in the quarter first time out on radials with boost ramping up to 14.6 not until 4 seconds into the run. Its good stuff! Norm
Old 01-18-2009, 08:20 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by shizon'00
Hey Spin, I'll convince you to use your vette instead of your truck

Stock LS1 with a cam and procharger. FI really loves E85, especially in the summer.

By the way, stock fuel system still looks perfect after years.
I am fully convinced about using it in both vehicles purely from an envirnmental and performance standpoint. Better towing capacity on the truck and more power in the vette. It will be the only fuel later in time for all cars. The issue is, the fuel system on the vette is maxxed out for 700hp+ guys and there arent a lot of options yet. I will use the Z06 pump when I swap the clutch out next week but the ZR1's pump may hold the answer.

The Z06 pump is 299 plus shipping from 3 GM parts dealers. GM parts direct is 270 plus 45 shipping if anyone is interested.

Since the driveline has to come out for the clutch, the pump swap is 1/2 done at that point.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:15 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by shizon'00
I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you. I've seen it work and work very well. I don't like it when people post up or propagate info that they read somewhere and draw conculsions from it. It's hard to get to the real truth from people who are actually putting E85 in real cars with real fuel systems. I have only seen 1 person that claimed to use E85 and it ate his system in a month and it was in an old camaro and it looks like the guy actually filled up with methanol instead of E85. Every other car I've personally seen or collaborated with has seen ZERO evidence of corrosion in a variety of years/models.

So take that for what it's worth to you.
Sheesh, you've got issues.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:06 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by silver_2000
Lexus just announced a recall or 200,000 plus cars due to corrosion of 10% ethanol causes on fuel system parts

If 10% ethanol can eat thru lexus parts imagine the issue with 85% ethanol
Lexas (a foreign car) isnt on board with what GM has done with building all their vehicles to ethanol use standards so to answer your question.....nothing happens to our car since they will all be flex fuel vehicles in a few years and are already compliant since 1997. All C5's are ethanol ready.

I take these cars apart all the time and all of the cars I work on use 10% ethanol gas. No issues at all with any of the parts. I posted links to pics of a GM vehicle that ran E85 from day one for 110k miles and instead of reading it and seeing that it was the cleanest engine tear down you could see, you want to post about japanese cars. That truck engine had no reason to be torn down other than the owner wanting to dispell myths such as the info you posted.

E85 is 100% fine for use in current GM vehicles, vettes included. The tests show that 10% ethanol has more deposits on valves than E85 does. In other words testing showed that the deposits didnt climb as the percentage of ethanol went up from 10%.....in fact, it dropped.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 01-19-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I will use the Z06 pump when I swap the clutch out next week but the ZR1's pump may hold the answer.

Thought Zr1 pump is 3-phase, were Z06 is standard DC motor.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Thought Zr1 pump is 3-phase, were Z06 is standard DC motor.
What is a 3 phase fuel pump? 3 different voltages sort of simulating a BAP? Would you mind expanding or giving a link to what it means?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Pulled from Wikipedia:

A three phase induction motor has a simple design, inherently high starting torque, and high efficiency. Such motors are applied in industry for pumps, fans, blowers, compressors, conveyor drives, and many other kinds of motor-driven equipment. A three-phase motor will be more compact and less costly than a single-phase motor of the same voltage class and rating; and single-phase AC motors above 10 HP (7.5 kW) are uncommon. Three phase motors will also vibrate less and hence last longer than single phase motor of the same power used under the same conditions.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Our cars are all DC current, so I don't think we can have 3 phase AC motors? I don't even have 3 phase current at my house!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Our cars are all DC current, so I don't think we can have 3 phase AC motors? I don't even have 3 phase current at my house!
True, but its my understanding ZR1 has a on demand fuel pump. That means as demand (fuel injectors) goes up, so must fuel pump. This is to avoid additional heating in fuel system.

3-phase can be done on car level (DC system) and is being done...

Mike
Old 01-20-2009, 03:38 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great idea. However, down here in Orange County, CA, there are no stations at all, but I'm sure eventually there will be.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Check it out:
http://www.nidec.com/admcmc/admcmc.htm
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...param=en026720
Three phase DC motors offer very fine control of RPM which fits perfect for controlling fuel pressure via computer control/ECM. Actually, the controllers for those motors simulate AC power to the motor meaning they aren't pure DC motors, but they are powered by DC electricity.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Check it out:
http://www.nidec.com/admcmc/admcmc.htm
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...param=en026720
Three phase DC motors offer very fine control of RPM which fits perfect for controlling fuel pressure via computer control/ECM. Actually, the controllers for those motors simulate AC power to the motor meaning they aren't pure DC motors, but they are powered by DC electricity.
I like to learn something every day. When I see Glass Slipper posting, I know I will!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Yes, Rich has beaten some very useful information into this thick skull of mine
Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 AM
silver_2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Lexas (a foreign car) isnt on board with what GM has done with building all their vehicles to ethanol use standards so to answer your question.....nothing happens to our car since they will all be flex fuel vehicles in a few years and are already compliant since 1997. All C5's are ethanol ready.

I take these cars apart all the time and all of the cars I work on use 10% ethanol gas. No issues at all with any of the parts. I posted links to pics of a GM vehicle that ran E85 from day one for 110k miles and instead of reading it and seeing that it was the cleanest engine tear down you could see, you want to post about japanese cars. That truck engine had no reason to be torn down other than the owner wanting to dispell myths such as the info you posted.

E85 is 100% fine for use in current GM vehicles, vettes included. The tests show that 10% ethanol has more deposits on valves than E85 does. In other words testing showed that the deposits didnt climb as the percentage of ethanol went up from 10%.....in fact, it dropped.
If all GM cars were already E85 ready wouldn't GM be advertising that ? Especially now ? They have been making all their cars e85 compliant vehicles for 12 years ? But not marketing that ? Hmm ... One link I found showed less than 40 E85 stations in all of Texas.

You assume that anyone that disagrees with you couldn't have read the data you posted ? Nice open mind ...

What I posted is NOT a myth - its a recall - most would call a recall fact. The recall I posted said nothing about deposits - it was related to corrosion.

My point was that even a premium brand like Lexus with exceptional reliability has seen issues with fuel systems, alcohol and corrosion. I thought the news would be useful here for background.

Thanks for pointing out that Lexus is a foreign car - That got past me
Old 01-21-2009, 01:48 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by silver_2000
If all GM cars were already E85 ready wouldn't GM be advertising that ? Especially now ? They have been making all their cars e85 compliant vehicles for 12 years ? But not marketing that ? Hmm ... One link I found showed less than 40 E85 stations in all of Texas.

You assume that anyone that disagrees with you couldn't have read the data you posted ? Nice open mind ...

What I posted is NOT a myth - its a recall - most would call a recall fact. The recall I posted said nothing about deposits - it was related to corrosion.

My point was that even a premium brand like Lexus with exceptional reliability has seen issues with fuel systems, alcohol and corrosion. I thought the news would be useful here for background.

Thanks for pointing out that Lexus is a foreign car - That got past me
I wasnt trying to be a wise azz.

GM cars are E85 compliant not E85 ready. Your terminology is where the issue is. They are E85 compliant because they are all E10 ready.

E85 wasnt the reason they made the fuel system work with it; E10 was. GM doesnt put any car out that has an issue with ethanol since its more the norm than not to have gas going in that has 10% ethanol in it. The fact that ethanol was being added to gas accross the country and its what is likely in your car now was why and thats been around for quite some time. Your gas is likely E10 now an no GM isnt going to advertise that its able to run ordinary gas. Should they?

I'm sorry if they way I typed it offended you. It wasnt the intent.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 01-21-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 PM
jkittleson
Racer

Spin,

Just tore down my forged 427 and have decided to make it a dedicated track car. The block and heads are at the machine shop, and going with 12.3:1 compression, with the GM Stage 3 cam.

I priced race fuel and at 8 bucks a gallon, this conversion seems like a great deal.

I have HPTuners, so what do I need to make the conversion? What size injectors are needed for the increased fuel supply? And will the Z06 fuel pump keep up with the demand?

Get notified of new replies

To E85monster: Conversion for E85

Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jkittleson
Spin,

Just tore down my forged 427 and have decided to make it a dedicated track car. The block and heads are at the machine shop, and going with 12.3:1 compression, with the GM Stage 3 cam.

I priced race fuel and at 8 bucks a gallon, this conversion seems like a great deal.

I have HPTuners, so what do I need to make the conversion? What size injectors are needed for the increased fuel supply? And will the Z06 fuel pump keep up with the demand?
12.3 with that cam is fine on 93 but....E85's greatest quality is its octane rating. People stating 'its not worth it' arent looking at that. Power and economy are definitely better IF YOU BUILD THE ENGINE FOR USE WITH E85. 106-110 octane allows the use of 13:1 to 13.5:1 compression with 7 liter cams at a DCR or 10:1. This is where the power and economy are maximized. At 12.3:1 static with a 230 cam in a 427 is fine for use with 93 octane.

Getting to your tech question, the Z06 pump will support 650rwhp N/A but the 30% additional fuel flow for those power levels exceeds the Z06's flow capacity with E85. If you hit 570-600rwhp you will need a pump that handles alomst 800rwhp N/A. This could be a Z06 pump with a KB boost a pump. An MSD pump booster is boost referenced and wont work. I think its dangerous.

Your application would be better served with an alky injection kit that is triggered with a non-boost referenced activation. Its advantage is that Meth cools the air charge and also extends the pump's headroom because its injecting a fuel. Meth systems can be triggered by rpm at say 5k for this application.

E85 is always there but if the pump booster fails you go lean. If the meth injection fails youre still at 93 octane and not lean but your octane falls to a lower level. I'd rather be at 93 octane with the right a/f with a failed alky system than lean with E85 not flowing enough volume because of a failed fuel system voltage mess up.

Injector size for E85 and 600rwhp is 60's. Motrons come in shorty 60's and are what I run.
Tuning includes changing stoic to E85's value.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 02-25-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jkittleson
Spin,

You'll also need to add spark and modify your olfa at lower ECT temps.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:09 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm running E85 in the Grand National (turbo car) in my sig and with careful tuning I was able to make more power on E85 than on C16. I should run high 9s this season.

As spin noted above, you need to flow substantially more E85 than straight gas-- in my case I had to plan carefully around injector and fuel pump size. I'll also note that it takes a lot of tinkering to get a good cold start when it drops below 40F or so. This may be far less difficult to deal with given the C6s sophisticated ignition system.

I'm lucky in that there's an E85 pump in center city Philly.

Quick Reply: E85monster: Conversion for E85