C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from aftermarket catback to NPP/Z06 mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone go from aftermarket catback to NPP/Z06 mufflers?

Just curious if anyone has gone from their aftermarket exhaust to a set of the NPP or Z06 mufflers? Any regrets? Do you wish you kept your aftermarket system? I currently have Borla Stingers/Sport w/Kooks.

Also I'm assuming the NPP/Z06 mufflers weigh more than most aftermarket. Can anyone confirm?

Honestly I think I'm just bored and a little intrigued by the different modules that are coming out to open/close the flaps. It seems like something fun to play with while driving. I would imagine after a while the novelty of that wears off though and I'd just keep it open 99% of the time anyway.

Any comments or opinions?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I did the retrofit to my car back in 2007 and have loved having bi-mode exhaust since then.
I developed the first retrofit controller system available with user selectable rpm opening and have been helping people get their bi-mode exhausts up and running ever since.

I think its a great system as you get loud and quiet at the touch of a button. I wouldnt hesitate to do it again

The gm bi-mode mufflers are heaver than say a bullet system. But the B&B Fusion mufflers are a good middle ground. They are loud when open, and louder than a stock muffler when closed. They are about 10 pounds lighter than the stock GM bi-mode mufflers.

If you need the retrofit controller setup I have them available with a variety of options so be sure to check it out!
I have wireless controls, dash button controls, rpm opening features, all with straight forward installs that require no permanent modifications to your car.

Exhaust Commander All-in-1 NPP retrofit kit.: Click Here

If you need any help or info on the retrofit proces, feel free to drop me a line anytime

Ben

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 01-22-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:33 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took off a set of B&B rte 66 because they were too loud cruising down the highway. I went with a set of Z06 mufflers..Great complement to the AR headers. They will drone between 1600 &1800 with the flaps open, but with the flaps closed, nice quiet, mellow tone slightly deeper than pure stock. But open them up and they scream.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. I've heard the Z06 mufflers aren't a direct fit to non Z exhaust. Is this true?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

The Z06 has 3" pipes and wont bolt up unless you essentally have Z06 headers and x-pipes. The good news is that all header companies sell the last section of the x-pipe separately and can be bought if you have Kooks headers. The last section is what tapers down and the new ones will mate to the Z06's pipes. I had the LG's with the stock cat back and when I got a Z06 exhaust, they sent me the 3" pipes to mate up with them.

I am selling my Z06 exhaust with the NPP controller you need for it to work on your car. 600 takes all....(400 exhaust and 200 for the controller). PM if you are interested.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by k0bun
Just curious if anyone has gone from their aftermarket exhaust to a set of the NPP or Z06 mufflers? Any regrets? Do you wish you kept your aftermarket system? I currently have Borla Stingers/Sport w/Kooks.

Also I'm assuming the NPP/Z06 mufflers weigh more than most aftermarket. Can anyone confirm?

Honestly I think I'm just bored and a little intrigued by the different modules that are coming out to open/close the flaps. It seems like something fun to play with while driving. I would imagine after a while the novelty of that wears off though and I'd just keep it open 99% of the time anyway.

Any comments or opinions?
I went from GHLs, which droned HORRIBLY at 1500 - 1700RPM, to Corsa Sports, which were too heavy (22lbs heavier than GHLs), too quiet, and too raspy, to Z06 Mufflers.
The Z06 mufflers are heavier than the GHLs, but lighter than the Corsa Sports by about 4pounds if I remember right. With the flaps open they drone a lot; it got annoying after a while and I ended up connecting the flap actuators to my vacuum line, so now they only open when I get on the gas. I'm really happy with them now. The GHLs sounded better but I could never live with that drone.
You can see how it works here
Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
0SonOfDreams
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hi, we have a few videos of the NPP with and without headers. www.nakidparts.com

Here is the process, 7 pages of full color instructions on our "NPP in a Box" vacuum system are on our site.

Originally Posted by Craigster05
NakidParts NPP in a box, a set of NPP mufflers will give you an incredibly easy way to have just the sound you want, when you want, if you have a pre-2008 C6. In my case, throw in a set of LG headers, and you have rolling thunder at the flick of a switch. The combo of the headers and the NPP in Wild gives you AMAZING sound and “HEY, LOOK AT ME!!!” volume…the tonality and sound is that of a NASCAR stock car at WOT outside the car, yet quieter and less drone inside the car than the GHL exhaust I was so fond of. The install is very straight forward, easier with a lift, but as Ed has shown with his car, you can do it on jack stands. Here are some pics and descriptions of the step by step process; you will receive complete illustrated instructions with your purchase.

NPP Mufflers waiting for Install

Factory Exhaust Removed

Drilling a ¼” hole in the rear well

Run the Vacuum Tube though the hole

Run the Vacuum tubes through existing frame locations

After dropping the rear sway bar, snake the NPP mufflers up and over

Attach the pipes to the mufflers

Connect the vacuum hoses to the NPP mufflers

Make sure your muffler pipes are straight and level

Muffler hardware done and vacuum tubing run

Connect power cable to the Seat Heater Fuse

And of course, a quick run with Ed's Polishing kit

Nakidparts = NPP in a box

That's all there is to it.....All that's left is to go out there and have a blast with your new found customized sound.

Here's a link to a video of the sound
Play Video

Ed, once again, THANK YOU!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm still undecided. I already have Borlas and have no complaints about them. I wouldn't gain any hp with the NPP and sound is too subjective for opinions on that. I also doubt they're lighter than my current exhaust either, not that the weight would be that significant. To be honest it would just be somthing for me to play with. I do like the concept of it though. Hmm, I'll have to think about it.

Spin, thanks for the offer. Like I said I'm still undecided so don't wait on me if you get any offers.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Finster07
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
The Z06 has 3" pipes and wont bolt up unless you essentally have Z06 headers and x-pipes. The good news is that all header companies sell the last section of the x-pipe separately and can be bought if you have Kooks headers. The last section is what tapers down and the new ones will mate to the Z06's pipes. I had the LG's with the stock cat back and when I got a Z06 exhaust, they sent me the 3" pipes to mate up with them.

I am selling my Z06 exhaust with the NPP controller you need for it to work on your car. 600 takes all....(400 exhaust and 200 for the controller). PM if you are interested.

PM sent....
Old 01-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I went from stock 07 mufflers......to B&B bullets.......back to stock 07 mufflers.......to 08 NPP mufflers!

The NPP's will remain on the car while I own it. I LOVED the tone of the B&B's but as with many others, just couldn't stand the drone. The NPP's are a perfect mix for me, loud when I want them but even they don't drone so badly on the highway when open. Closed and they are stock quiet.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone go from aftermarket catback to NPP/Z06 mufflers?

Quick Reply: Anyone go from aftermarket catback to NPP/Z06 mufflers?