C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MUSTANG DYNO vs DYNOJET

Old 03-21-2009, 02:48 AM
CorvetteTrev
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MUSTANG DYNO vs DYNOJET

I hear the mustang dyno is better than other dyno's. Dynojet, for example only loads the car on as 1400lbs whereas the mustang dyno tunes your car with the actual weight of the car, hence better performance on the road, possibly lower RWHP numbers.... (given they both use the sam software ex. HP Tuners)

Does anyone know the real deal??

I saw a bone stock 2007 Z06 only make 350 RWHP on the mustang dyno using Hp tuning software by extreme professionals.

Another Shop ( Corvette Center ) also told me that the C6 bone stock Z06 #'s are pretty bad even on the Dynojet.

The biggest/best thing a Z06 owner can do is TUNE thier car.

having that said im happy with my C6. Windows down, Top Off.

BUT What's the real dyno story here! On a dynojet, I make SAE of 439.7 RWHP w/cam, exhaust,and callaway honker. I'm looking into porting the intake manifold, throttle body, intake runners, MAF sensor, then re-tuning on a mustang dyno. Any thoughts or knowledge on this...
Old 03-21-2009, 02:55 AM
CorvetteTrev
Intermediate

I hear the mustang dyno is better than other dyno's. Dynojet, for example only loads the car on as 1400lbs whereas the mustang dyno tunes your car with the actual weight of the car, hence better performance on the road, possibly lower RWHP numbers.... (given they both use the sam software ex. HP Tuners)

I saw a bone stock 2007 Z06 only make 350 RWHP on the mustang dyno using Hp tuning software by extreme professionals.

Another Shop (Corvette Center) also told me that the 05'-09' bone stock Z06's #'s are pretty bad - even on the Dynojet.

Having that said, I'm happy with my C6 Coupe. Windows down, Top Off. A Few bolt-Ons and Faster...Yeah (Compared w/ STOCK Z06)

BUT What's the real dyno story here! On a dynojet, I make the SAE of 439.7 RWHP, that's w/cam, exhaust,and callaway honker. I'm looking into porting the intake manifold, throttle body, intake runners, MAF sensor, then re-tuning on a mustang dyno. Any thoughts or knowledge on this...
Old 03-21-2009, 03:03 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is a link to more info than most would want.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/archi...123629978.html

BJK
Old 03-21-2009, 09:43 AM
BOB EAGAN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CorvetteTrev

Another Shop ( Corvette Center ) also told me that the C6 bone stock Z06 #'s are pretty bad even on the Dynojet.

having that said im happy with my C6. Windows down, Top Off.

BUT What's the real dyno story here! On a dynojet, I make SAE of 439.7 RWHP w/cam, exhaust,and callaway honker. I'm looking into porting the intake manifold, throttle body, intake runners, MAF sensor, then re-tuning on a mustang dyno. Any thoughts or knowledge on this...
Different dyno's give different numbers but it's best used as a tool to show the increased gains from your mods. You have your numbers from a dynojet, if you do a mod and redyno on a mustang, you will have no idea what you've gained. Actually a mustang will show a loss from what you have now.I don't think tuning make much difference, just the final numbers. If you started on a mustang I'd say stay with the mustang, but since you started with a dynojet I'd stay with a dynojet. This way you'll be able to monitor your gains for each step
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 AM
TrenAman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOB EAGAN
Different dyno's give different numbers but it's best used as a tool to show the increased gains from your mods. You have your numbers from a dynojet, if you do a mod and redyno on a mustang, you will have no idea what you've gained. Actually a mustang will show a loss from what you have now.I don't think tuning make much difference, just the final numbers. If you started on a mustang I'd say stay with the mustang, but since you started with a dynojet I'd stay with a dynojet. This way you'll be able to monitor your gains for each step
Old 03-22-2009, 04:03 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
Here is a link to more info than most would want.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/archi...123629978.html

BJK
That link is so full of mistakes and plain BS, it isn't even funny. It starts with the second sentence of the referenced text where he attempts to identify the two types of chassis dynos..."inertia and loading" was a miserable failure as it implies "inertia" does not load the engine. The correct answer is "inertia and absorbtion" where "inertia" stores the energy as kinetic energy and "absorbtion" dissipates the energy as heat. The inertia method could return the majority of the energy from the engine as power whereas the absorbtion method converts it directly to heat...regardless of the mechanism used, both provide a load to the engine.

The third paragraph where he describes the method used by inertia type dynos to calculate HP contains gross errors. He states accelertion is used to make the calculation which is true to an extent since it uses the change in velocity WRT time which is the definition of acceleration. But then he proceeds to say they use F=mA where the mass is known and accelertion is measured so HP can now magically be calculated...a pretty neat trick since F=mA is the formula for translational motion. The inertia method requires a solution involving rotational motion since the drum is rotating. It is in fact done by measuring the amount of kinetic energy added to the drum divided by the time it took to add the kinetic energy...a very simple and elegant solution to very accurately measure HP. The funny thing is that Mustang dynos have a portion of the HP determined by the inertia method and a portion determined by the absorption method which means it has two components of error to contend with. Not exactly the best way to accurately measure HP. The advantage of the Mustang and all other absorption dynos is the ability to control the rate of acceleration (and even hold RPM constant with most engines) for purposes of tuning. But Dynojet now makes absorption type chassis dynos that combine the inertia/absorbtion methods like the Mustang to allow better tuning.

Whoever really wrote this article has no clue as to how a dyno works or how correction factors are applied but seems more interested in discrediting Dynojet dynos. I cringe every time I see that link and am reminded that anybody can put anything they want on the internet no matter how much BS it contains. I don't mean to come across harshly, but articles like this are the root cause of the general public being misinformed as it gets regurgitated over and over until the BS is accepted as fact because it's heard so often.

Get notified of new replies

To MUSTANG DYNO vs DYNOJET

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MUSTANG DYNO vs DYNOJET