C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6speed or Automatic??????????/

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OP, I came from a 670rwhp 2.8KB Cobra (solid axle and all the bolt ons) and I now have a 2006 H/C/FAST/Bolt on A6 and enjoy it to no end. If youre looking for a fun DD/weekend car you will not loose anything with a TCM tuned A6 tans, trust me. Could you get a hair more performance out of an M6? Possibly, but at what cost if youre on the fence.

My biggest grip with the M6's on both my SS Camaro's (1 was a H/C/N20) would have to be the focking clutch pedal acting up when speedshifting on 50% of the attempts after multiple tries to remedy it. I wanted to try something new and the A6 is fun as hell. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
louiecvt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always had manuals on my sports cars but I got the c6 auto. The paddle shifting sucks. It's too slow for my taste. But otherwise it's not bad at all.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:32 PM
jrnorman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SvetteC6
As usual I agree with Wayne O

And I agree with SvetteC6 and Wayne O. Unless you are serious about drag racing, M6 is the way to go especially if you like manuals to start with.

Automatics get better and better but nothing connects you with the car and the driving experience like a manual. Then you become integral with both the driving and the car, elsewise you are just the chap in the car doing the steering!
Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

This can easily be put in perspective. The auto guys love it and say it's best and quickest....then the manual guys say it's a man thing and best for the fun effect!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Fasrdnu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xstang
If you 1/4 mile race get the auto!

If you road race, I'd get the manual....
Old 03-28-2009, 04:51 PM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Yea you add a converter and other work like the quartermile performers. Stock to stock stick is faster. Auto's are soooooo boring and require no talent, plus even women now are buying sticks.
Wouldn't own one!
Auto is always faster...dont know what your smoking. Stock is fastr and with 500rwhp auto will be at least .5 seconds faster than manual tranny.

Get the auto. Have it tuned and the shifts will be extremely quick in regular and paddle mode. I owned a C5 Z with 6 speed and just bought a 07 with auto 6 spd and I love it. I cant believe how fast this car is stock. And I have owned 500+rwhp twin turbo mustangs with manual and they are a pain on the street with that kind of power. Go auto f you want to be fast. Go manual if you would rather enkoy bangin gears but be slower
Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Keencutter
Instructor

If you are going to drag race it, go ahead and get the "stab and steer" auto. I can say that because I have over 150 trips down the quarter mile with LS1's with autos.
The vette I have now is a MN6 though so whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

I have had autos and my Vette is my first manual. Even between the A6 and M6, the cars are very different. At the strip, the A6 is perfect. I tuned a A6 today and they just don't have the same effect as the mighty M6.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:48 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Drag Racing Automatic
Handling turns and curves Manual
Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 PM
TinSecondRice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Unless you do a bit of racing, I would go 6-speed.

Mine is a built auto right now, but just about every day I wish I would have gone 6-speed, even though the auto is faster.

Do you want to be as fast as you can for your mods, or more worried about having fun?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:32 PM
yello9
Advanced

For a weekend car, as you described yours, I'd get the manual. [I just did] To me they're a lot more fun as long as you don't have to drive in everyday commuter traffic.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Someone told me that unless you are a gifted racecar driver, you won't shift faster than the automatic can, maybe that's why they say the auto is quicker. But is sure is fun to have a manual. I got an automatic since my girl cannot drive a clutch....not that she drives it often but for those rare times when I cannot drive, she can, since it's an automatic.

One bit of advice though - mine is an 08. Testdrive the automatic well by doing lots of coasting, then hitting the gas. Especially coast down to like 28mph, then hit it.

Reason - some automatics have issues (like mine). Sloppy shifting, hunting for gears, banging into gear, bigtime hesitation. And all of these symptoms are "normal" according to the dealer.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:40 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

The automatics are only quicker due to the launches. It is much easier to launch an A6 than it is a M6. Plus, I launch my M6 much easier since I have no desire to bust anything. The A6/A4 are real sloppy in the shifting and that can be somewhat remedied with tuning. I worked on one today and shifts much better. The paddle shifters are best left unused.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:05 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wayne O
You said you enjoyed a manual shift which should answer your question right off. IMO a manual shift is what 'sports driving' is all about...it provides the driver the greatest connection with the car, the road and the entire driving experience. I'm not a drag racer...I enjoy running road courses. I value the precision and control a manual shift affords. I enjoy the skill it takes to upshift, down-shift, rev-match and double clutch. The Corvette automatic transmission is known for delayed shifts and some automatic owners attempt to correct its inherent shortcomings through tuning.

Unless I had some physical reason I couldn't drive a stick or maybe if I drove the hills of San Francisco daily I'd consider an automatic but otherwise, its gotta be a manual shift.

I'll never forget one guy I saw in a parking lot...he saw a new C6 and said 'Oh wow nice' and then he looked inside and noticed it was an automatic. He just walked away shaking his head.
The automagic in the C6 is very impressive... but it comes down to need and personal preference. I enjoy driving and prefer the manual as it extends the feel of the car and provides the ultimate control.
Not much else you can do while driving.. so might as well row the gears and make it an experience.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:20 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default I'd buy the automatic in a second!

I'd buy the automatic in a second!

In stock trim, it's not that impressive....BUT, AFTER I TUNE EM'....

YOU'RE GOOD TO GO!
Chuck CoW
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 AM
gomerjack
Pro

Not to thread hijack but how does the shifting in a C6 compare to a C5?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Chubz77
Instructor

I went ahead and got the 6speed, I test drove both, I just didnt like the auto. I am not gonna drag race this car as the norm, maybe just to see what it can do. I do agree built autos are faster and more consistent, but the fun factor is better to me with the 6speed. Thanks for all the input
Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,956 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

A rational man thinks things through, then does what's best for him. Good luck and enjoy the car.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
jrnorman
Racer

Default Congratulations

The only thing that matters is that it makes you happy! Congratulations and I hope it puts a smile on your face every time you start it up!

Quick Reply: 6speed or Automatic??????????/