C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Battery Install (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 PM
ringo11
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried this route in my Big Dog K9 Chopper, which has a big bore 117 S&S engine.
Yes it would crank a well tuned engine over, but so would the battery out of my lawn mower. But in weather and condition extremes, hot & cold, it's weakness started to show. Don't ride for a couple weeks without charging and it was 50-50 as to whether it would spin over or not. I replaced it with a Braille and I can attest to the increased performance of that battery over the 80 dollar Big Crank type batteries. There's a reason you see the Braille brand in so many professional race cars. Its definitely a case where you get what you pay for IMO
Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 PM
artinist
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its been 110F in so. cali and I have done city driving with the AC on and its been operating just like any regular battery. It does say it doesn't work in freezing condition but it seems to handle heat without a hitch.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:43 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

not to bump an ancient thread here but how are these Deka and lighter lithium batteries working out for people who have some miles/years on them now? especially curious for feedback on those lithium batteries

I was originally going to relocate mine to the trunk but if these lithium batteries work well and are reliable for a car that gets driven at least a few times a month then seems like a no brainer to just go with that and not spend the money on the battery kits and save like 30+ lbs?!

Last edited by neverstop; 03-29-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:58 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
not to bump an ancient thread here but how are these Deka and lighter lithium batteries working out for people who have some miles/years on them now? especially curious for feedback on those lithium batteries

I was originally going to relocate mine to the trunk but if these lithium batteries work well and are reliable for a car that gets driven at least a few times a month then seems like a no brainer to just go with that and not spend the money on the battery kits and save like 30+ lbs?!
I have been through 2 in the past 8 yearsand at $75 each to me its worth it. Had to replace the first one because I forgot to hook up the CTEK battery tender and a cell went bad. If you always use a battery tender then it should stay strong.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

are you using the cheaper Deka or the more expensive Lithium batteries?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
are you using the cheaper Deka or the more expensive Lithium batteries?
cheaper Deka.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

thanks. I feel like I may want to get stuck in the home depot parking lot or something so Im really close to trying one of those lithium batteries.

I might just put the lithium battery in my car and keep my spare/old original battery in the back cubby for awhile until I get confidence.

Last edited by neverstop; 03-29-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ringo11
I tried this route in my Big Dog K9 Chopper, which has a big bore 117 S&S engine.
Yes it would crank a well tuned engine over, but so would the battery out of my lawn mower. But in weather and condition extremes, hot & cold, it's weakness started to show. Don't ride for a couple weeks without charging and it was 50-50 as to whether it would spin over or not. I replaced it with a Braille and I can attest to the increased performance of that battery over the 80 dollar Big Crank type batteries. There's a reason you see the Braille brand in so many professional race cars. Its definitely a case where you get what you pay for IMO
​​​​​​Braille, Deka, Big Crank and a slew of other names are all the same batteries, made by EastPenn here in the USA. Braille rates their batteries more optimistically, and sometimes uses a carbon case, but it's still the same battery, usually priced at nearly double. If you want to pay more for the Braille name, have at it. Any perceived difference is imaginary.

Sorry, but I don't check the forums anymore as I sold my C6 and C7 years ago.

San
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (12-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Lightweight Battery Install (Pics)