C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drifting with automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
ducati996
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drifting with automatic?

Howdy-- my dad has a C6 automatic with paddle shifters, and wants to take it to a drift event. I personally haven't driven the car before, but is he wasting his time? (IE, will it hold onto gears and have a fairly good rpm to wheelspeed "lock"?)

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure with A6, maybe he can put it in manual mode and just hold a gear there ?

Also, don't forget to completely turn off the TC and AH. Don't be surprised when DIC says something about servicing AH at the end of the run. C5/C6 don't like drifting, the yaw sensor, steering angle sensor, and wheel speed sensors outputs contradict each other and whatever the control module thinks that there is a broken sensor somewhere.

For example: yaw sensor indicate the car turning left but the steering wheel angle sensor says it's turning right. Outputs from wheel speed sensors don't match the table(s) it has.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it. There's enough power back there to keep em going even if the car shifts with the AH and the TC off.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:57 PM
the1n_Only
Instructor

Sounds like someone wants to have fun with daddy Vette
Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Drifting with a Corvette... sounds like a $1,000 a day hobby.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Let us know how it goes, we have a few C5 guys who do it and love it. I dont think I would be to into it, but I would like to try it someday for fun.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Has youre dad checked the price of Vette tires recently?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,303 Posts

It could be a rental and he's just swapping on a different set of wheels and tires for the rear...
Old 07-09-2009, 06:18 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

You shouldn't have much trouble. Just tell your dad to turn off TC and AH. You should be able to hold the gears enough in paddle mode to drift. You may have issues depending on how much traction you have. If it's really hot out and your traction is great you could end up bouncing off the rev limiter in paddle mode. I believe if you do that long enough the transmission will still shift automatically to protect itself.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Forgot several things.

Get a pair of cheap wheels (can be OEM) and mount used tires on them. The used tires only need to have OD that's in the ballpark of the stock one. The width doesn't matter, the narrower the better, the higher treadwear rating the better. These will save the nice pair that the car has now.

If you are driving the car to the event, have a back up vehicle preferably a pick-up truck to carry all the extra stuff. Once the rears are depleted, swap them out and you can drive your car home. The back up vehicle can carry extra (the nice pair) of tires and tire-swap equipment (floor/jack, lug wrench and torque wrench). Bring disposable gloves or hand cleaner (plus a couple rags to wipe hands).

If you are towing the vehicle, it's even better. You can run that used pair until they go flat (if need be, I wouldn't though, I stop at the sight of cords) which takes about 10 minutes worth of run time. This way you can just load up the car and tow it home.

I learned this the hard time with my '03 for my first practice event. Mounted a take-off pair of 275/40/18 GY SuperRunCraps on wagon wheels. After about 10 minutes run time (about 4-5 runs), they had lost chunks of rubber and cords were showing here and there. I stopped since I had to drive the car home 1.5 hrs. It was the most miserable car ride I have ever experienced. The rears were very very loud and they vibrated.

Also, give the tires a breather, don't run them for too long of a time. IMO, 2 minutes are absolute limit. You will get a better tire life if you run them at shorter periods. Besides, no tire is ever designed to take this level of use.

Be prepared to have an upper-body workout too. It's very exhausting when your body has to keep steady in the seat. Jam left foot on the dead pedal and put the seat belt on automatic lock. During a drift, TURN YOUR HEAD to the travel direction; don't just move your eyes.

Get notified of new replies

To Drifting with automatic?

Quick Reply: Drifting with automatic?