C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:11 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I noticed if I had 192 over 25% the fan ran full on all the time.
Yea, it will do that with the stock fan table, sucks. I'm glad they decided to add extending the fan table to the 2 bar OS.

BTW Joe, any problems with your new PCV disable mod? Getting ready to do that here in a bit.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:15 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by pmj341
...mine was starting to do it, so now it's setup no higher than 90%...
Doesn't matter. If you put 100%'s in the table and log the commanded and actual fan speeds, neither ever exceed 90%.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Yea, it will do that with the stock fan table, sucks. I'm glad they decided to add extending the fan table to the 2 bar OS.

BTW Joe, any problems with your new PCV disable mod? Getting ready to do that here in a bit.
No problems at all and the can doesn't get any oil it in at all. That said I 've only put on 1200 miles or so once I did it, I had to have my trans and diff replaced again, bad gears and bad trans. Still don't have the car back, hopefully this week.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:09 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Default Connectors

If the connectors are melting why not use a hi-amperage terminal block with screws?

There are several from radio shack rated at 30 amps & will handle 10 to 22 gauge wire for under $6.00.

Come to think of it Home Depot probably has severe duty for same price.

http://radioshack.com/family/index.j...032058.2032231
Old 07-13-2009, 07:58 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Again?!? Holy shnikeys that blows.

I didn't put a breather can in, I just removed my catch can setup and capped off the lifter valley and throttle body. I have a vented valve cover breather from the ECS kit.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
No problems at all and the can doesn't get any oil it in at all. That said I 've only put on 1200 miles or so once I did it, I had to have my trans and diff replaced again, bad gears and bad trans. Still don't have the car back, hopefully this week.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

If the fans have a loose connection your ground wire (which is the middle one) will melt out the plastic which causes your fans not to work and has a direct effect on the AC.

Replacement connectors are available at the dealer but cost about $60. The female side (the one on top) is the one that usually goes bad.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just suffered this same failure (11k mi) and cannot get a part # for the proper replacement top/female connector. Anyone want to share a part #? Mine melted the heavey gauge red connection, not the middle ground.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:38 AM
4evervette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry guys tp bring this thread up ..but am having the same problem here i need the part number for the connector plz ...
Old 02-15-2010, 12:26 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

I'm sorry 2 guy's but I'm having the same damn problem!!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I thought I replied here a while back but I guess I didn't. What I ended up doing was to remove the big black ground wire from the connector (this is the one in the middle that burns up) and reconnected the connector. then I reconnected the black wires outside of the melted connector after crimping the female spade down so the fit was tight. Been working like this for ~6 months now without issue.

HTH

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 02-15-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM
autodesign21
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 69 Posts

Yep just did the same thing tonight on mine. The ground is connected outside of the stock connector and shrink wrapped. Worked perfectly! Dealer is looking for a special order part# for the female side, otherwise you have to buy the entire headlight wiring harness which is like $458!
Thanks fellas!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Again?!? Holy shnikeys that blows.

I didn't put a breather can in, I just removed my catch can setup and capped off the lifter valley and throttle body. I have a vented valve cover breather from the ECS kit.
Bill, this is back from the dead, and I realized I never told you I did away with the breather can as my oil got really dirty really fast. I went to a regular catch can and kept the vacuum on my crankcase.

I'm not an engineer, but my oil got dirty FAST and that can't be good for the engine. My catch can catches a lot of oil, and last time I had my FAST off it was pretty clean, no puddles of oil.

Sorry for the off topic post but I had to set this record straight.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:00 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Worst hijack evar!

Hmmm. Well I have been running with everything capped off and a breather in place of the oil cap for some time. I do get a pretty decent oil/gas smell which is starting to get annoying but gauranteed there is no oil in my intake. Next time I change my oil I'll keep an eye on how dirty it gets how fast.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Worst hijack evar!

Hmmm. Well I have been running with everything capped off and a breather in place of the oil cap for some time. I do get a pretty decent oil/gas smell which is starting to get annoying but gauranteed there is no oil in my intake. Next time I change my oil I'll keep an eye on how dirty it gets how fast.

Yea that smell got to me too. I had to run the ac on recirc (on the rare times I ran the AC...I'm a top down kind of guy - every day!!).
Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

ok, this is what I found. The center ground got a bit too hot and melted a little but not as bad as the pic above and it was causing my fan to not to come on sometimes.. This will be fixed soon..

PICS BELOW

You were right 5 LITER.

CORVETTEPCV004.jpg?t=1266797499

CORVETTEPCV005.jpg?t=1266796818
Old 06-18-2010, 11:58 PM
birk1
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

okay...I joined the club today

my fan stopped working and my DIC went off and of course I pulled over to watch my car boil over out of the reserve tank

so I let the car cool down (really the supercharger as my forearm was getting fried) a bit and pulled the connection for the fan and module and the ground was cooked...so 6 hours later I now have a re-routed ground...wish me luck tomorrow as I see if the fan comes on.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

I think I may have the same problem. How do I ge tto this fan connector, also would anyone know what specific fuse is the fan fuse that I am supposed to look out for????

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling Fan Stopped Working

Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Do I have to lift the car to get to this wiring to check it out??
Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Stormcrowe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmer
Do I have to lift the car to get to this wiring to check it out??
I had the same problem, evidently it's rather common.
You can only access the connector from underneath, it's attached to the bottom of the fan shroud, at least it is on my C6.
My mech just cut the ground at the connector and grounded it directly to the frame. Fan works as intended now and my temps are good, especially after I added a Z06 oil cooler
Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by birk1
okay...I joined the club today

my fan stopped working and my DIC went off and of course I pulled over to watch my car boil over out of the reserve tank

so I let the car cool down (really the supercharger as my forearm was getting fried) a bit and pulled the connection for the fan and module and the ground was cooked...so 6 hours later I now have a re-routed ground...wish me luck tomorrow as I see if the fan comes on.
Well, you can add me as its newest member. Happened yesterday. Couldn't understand why the A/C just completely quit and wouldn't come back on even with cycling the button (which usually worked if it was pressure related). Then I got stuck in stop and go and watched the temps quickly go over 240. Pulled over, shut it down, popped the hood - coolant bubbling out of the overflow. Called Randy at Ragin Racin (just got the Stage IV about a month ago now) and asked "WTH?" He told me about this problem. And I also pinged BADZ (he mentioned his problem to me before) who led me to this thread.

What a PITA.

I almost drove it today because the fan started working good enough yesterday after wiggling things a bit. I'm glad I have a daily driver. Looks like I'll be performing some wiring surgery soon.

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Stopped Working