C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Brakes on C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Z06 Brakes on C6

Has it been determined to a fact what size spacers will allow for the use of stock 05 polished 5-spoke wheels with Z06 brakes on a C6?

Is it 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"?

Who sells spacers with the longer studs in them?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Snake Slayer
Safety Car

Received 520 Likes on 199 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by NavyC4S
Has it been determined to a fact what size spacers will allow for the use of stock 05 polished 5-spoke wheels with Z06 brakes on a C6?

Is it 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"?

Who sells spacers with the longer studs in them?

Thanks
I am not sure that you can use the 05 polished wheels and spacers but I know a few forum members have used the 08Gumby wheel with a 1/4" spacer and factory studs. From a safety standpoint I would not use anything more 1/4 inch without using longer studs. Good Luck! Check out this thread :
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...th-z06-brakes-

Last edited by Snake Slayer; 08-06-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

So It's only the fronts that need spacers?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Are you sure you want Z06 brakes? Check the last post in this thread.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=81894

Read this thread to see what happened to the Z06 brakes and Aaron's (PFADT) opinion.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ith-video.html

If you need more performance out of your brakes, upgrade the fluid, pads, lines and add some ducting. If that isn't enough buy a real big brake kit from Alcon, AP, Brembo or Stoptech.

San
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

I'm not planning on racing with them and I don't need better stopping performance. They are good enough for streeting a Z06 and that's good enough for me. I had BIG brakes on my Porsche and I want BIG brakes on my Corvette. I don't want a "real" brake kit as I can't afford to spend that much on brakes I don't need or use.

I like the way they look, good enough?

Flame suit on.

They will be going on a C/I car, since I'm sure i'll hear about "all show and no go, or stop in this case"

So. For those who have done it, how do I do it?

FYI, all links posted in this thread so far, do not work
Old 08-06-2009, 04:45 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

I'm not planning on racing with them and I don't need better stopping performance. They are good enough for streeting a Z06 and that's good enough for me. I had BIG brakes on my Porsche and I want BIG brakes on my Corvette. I don't want a "real" brake kit as I can't afford to spend that much on brakes I don't need or use.

I like the way they look, good enough?

Flame suit on.

They will be going on a C/I car, since I'm sure i'll hear about "all show and no go, or stop in this case"

So. For those who have done it, how do I do it?

FYI, all links posted in this thread so far, do not work
Sorry, this being Tech and Performance, I assumed you were looking for better performing brakes. I'd give John at CCW a call as to the size of spacer needed (they sell spacers). You may not need longer studs depending on the spacer. If so I believe you are looking for a wheel adapter (spacer with studs) available from many different sources. Here's one;

http://adaptitusa.com/

All the links in this thread work for me.

San
Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

San, I didn't mean to post in the wrong forum, I was aiming at the "tech" expertise of the forum members.

Thanks for the help, I'll call John.

Jeff
Old 08-06-2009, 05:22 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Jeff, I didn't mean to imply you posted in the wrong forum as you are looking for Tech help. I just see a lot of posts by persons wanting to "upgrade" to the Z06 brakes without doing research on them. Don't get me wrong, for the street they will be just fine and they do look good. But they need help for track work and honestly are probably more expensive in the long run for aggressive driving and track duty.

San
Old 08-06-2009, 05:43 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Jeff, I didn't mean to imply you posted in the wrong forum as you are looking for Tech help. I just see a lot of posts by persons wanting to "upgrade" to the Z06 brakes without doing research on them. Don't get me wrong, for the street they will be just fine and they do look good. But they need help for track work and honestly are probably more expensive in the long run for aggressive driving and track duty.

San
I did the research too, and I have also seen many many posts on this conversion.

There are many opinions, but few facts- like a definitive parts list for this conversion. It looks like it's going to be a headache and that the money could be spent elsewhere, like on a supercharger

...but, the Z06 brakes seem to be holding their value in the used parts scene, so if anything, they are an investment.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

There are some good members here who are down on Z06 brakes and a quick to point it out. Posting a couple links that back up that claim doesnt hold that much water. There are many who do the swap who love the performance(myself included). Yes alot of Z06 owners install big buck kits in their place but most of these cars see ALOT of track time. With Carbotech 1 piece pads these brakes are more than sufficient for hard road use with trips to the track as well. If your hobby is serious racing every weekend than think uber expensive kits. Bang for the brake buck, they cant be beat. Look Cool also.

San, did you ever get yours worked out yet?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...akes-pics.html
Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by NYC6
There are some good members here who are down on Z06 brakes and a quick to point it out. Posting a couple links that back up that claim doesnt hold that much water. There are many who do the swap who love the performance(myself included). Yes alot of Z06 owners install big buck kits in their place but most of these cars see ALOT of track time. With Carbotech 1 piece pads these brakes are more than sufficient for hard road use with trips to the track as well. If your hobby is serious racing every weekend than think uber expensive kits. Bang for the brake buck, they cant be beat. Look Cool also.

San, did you ever get yours worked out yet?
Dude, I literally just got the car off the jackstands. I need to post up a couple of threads.

Let me say I'm not "down" on the Z06 brakes, I just don't honestly think they are much (if any) of an upgrade performance wise. The rotors are bigger so there is more thermal capacity and they're 6 and 4 pot respectively, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. Ultimately it comes down to your intended use.

I will say I wasn't expecting to see the Z06 brakes literally fail on Aaron's (PFADT) first track day after six laps. That doesn't imply performance brakes. He goes on to state that C5 and C6 brakes that are held in less esteem are actually more reliable, if not better, as does LG Motorsports. I'll leave it at that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're happy with the Z06 brakes, then that's all that matters. They can picked be up for not too much moolah and they do look good. They do have issues, as do most things in life.

One of the things the Z06 brakes seem to need badly is cooling. I just installed some Quantum Motorsports brake ducts and will be posting a review and pics soon.

It comes down to what you'll be expecting from the brakes. Street brakes are good at stopping the car once or twice from speed. Repeated stops require more thermal capacity and a resistance to fade. Hell, I think the base C6 brakes are good brakes, but I've never aggressively pushed them or tracked them.

I looked at the Z06 brakes and couldn't justify the cost (even used) as I felt I'd need to upgrade later. I'd love to save a buck, but the Z06 brakes appear to be more expensive when you factor in replacement costs versus longevity. The single pads are helping that ratio out. Flame suit on.

San
Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Dude, I literally just got the car off the jackstands. I need to post up a couple of threads.

Let me say I'm not "down" on the Z06 brakes, I just don't honestly think they are much (if any) of an upgrade performance wise. The rotors are bigger so there is more thermal capacity and they're 6 and 4 pot respectively, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. Ultimately it comes down to your intended use.

I will say I wasn't expecting to see the Z06 brakes literally fail on Aaron's (PFADT) first track day after six laps. That doesn't imply performance brakes. He goes on to state that C5 and C6 brakes that are held in less esteem are actually more reliable, if not better, as does LG Motorsports. I'll leave it at that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're happy with the Z06 brakes, then that's all that matters. They can picked be up for not too much moolah and they do look good. They do have issues, as do most things in life.

One of the things the Z06 brakes seem to need badly is cooling. I just installed some Quantum Motorsports brake ducts and will be posting a review and pics soon.

It comes down to what you'll be expecting from the brakes. Street brakes are good at stopping the car once or twice from speed. Repeated stops require more thermal capacity and a resistance to fade. Hell, I think the base C6 brakes are good brakes, but I've never aggressively pushed them or tracked them.

I looked at the Z06 brakes and couldn't justify the cost (even used) as I felt I'd need to upgrade later. I'd love to save a buck, but the Z06 brakes appear to be more expensive when you factor in replacement costs versus longevity. The single pads are helping that ratio out. Flame suit on.

San
No flame, just healthy debate.

Glad you got em done. Looking forward to pics and review.
like you said, "it comes down to intended use" and like I said "for HD road use with ocassional track" they're fine.
Dont know the link your refering to but Im guessing its a serious track car owned by a high perf shop. And anyone can find at least one thread complaining about any brake system.
All brakes that see HD use benefit from extra cooling not just Z06. Corvette brakes are real good out of the box, Z06 are a notch above and the big guys are a notch above that. I have over 500rwhp and the Z06 binders give me alot of whoa stop after stop without concern or worry. And they went on in about 2 hours and left a fair amout of cash in my pocket for the Super Charger.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 PM
BMiller33
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the conversion to the larger Z06 brakes require a master cylinder change? If no, then how different is the pedal feel? I haven't done the research but I presume there is a large change in total piston area with this modification (which would lead to more pedal travel if you don't change the MC). Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:58 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

No flame, just healthy debate.

Glad you got em done. Looking forward to pics and review.
like you said, "it comes down to intended use" and like I said "for HD road use with ocassional track" they're fine.
Dont know the link your refering to but Im guessing its a serious track car owned by a high perf shop. And anyone can find at least one thread complaining about any brake system.
All brakes that see HD use benefit from extra cooling not just Z06. Corvette brakes are real good out of the box, Z06 are a notch above and the big guys are a notch above that. I have over 500rwhp and the Z06 binders give me alot of whoa stop after stop without concern or worry. And they went on in about 2 hours and left a fair amout of cash in my pocket for the Super Charger.
Post 4 has the links I'd look at. One from LG and one from PFADT.

I agree all brakes benefit from extra cooling, but the Z06 brakes seem to NEED extra cooling to prevent issues. I don't agree that Z06 brakes are a notch above stock Corvette brakes and neither do others. I do agree they look better. They may even feel better. But their performance is questionable.

I also agree they are cheap, as in cost. But honestly, for Z06 brakes to fail after 6 laps at a track is not acceptable. For them to fade, yes. For them to boil the fluid, yes. But to literally break? Canyon carvers beware.

I don't want to hijack this thread. The OP isn't interested in tracking the car so it really isn't an issue as to the performance of the Z06 brakes. I will say from a purely aesthetic point of view I wish my front brakes were 15". From a performance point of view the 14" are the way to go.

San
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Your links stinks! No worke
Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

I enjoy the debate.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Brakes on C6

Old 08-06-2009, 11:33 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Your links stinks! No worke
Every link on this thread works for me (not just mine). Not sure what is up.

San
Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

adaptitusa.com/

forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2393393-c6z-maiden-race-with-video.html

Put http:// in front of those.

digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81894

Put http://www. in front of that one.

San
Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

I enjoy the debate.
Any down side to using spacers?