C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG SUPER RAM COLD AIR carbon fiber true ram air

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

stop calling it ram air, for the love of aero engineers and airplane nerds....
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks nice but way out of my price range for a CAI/Rammed air. Cant really see it being a real rammed air as it doess not have an opening that goes all the way to the grill or an openeing in the hood. Looks like it still has to come into the condensor area to get its air. So its kinda both, like the snake charmer. And why couldnt you do it in plastic?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by S'vette
Looks nice but way out of my price range for a CAI/Rammed air. Cant really see it being a real rammed air as it doess not have an opening that goes all the way to the grill or an openeing in the hood. Looks like it still has to come into the condensor area to get its air. So its kinda both, like the snake charmer. And why couldnt you do it in plastic?
No it goes all the way to the grill, and the engine air intake is completely separate of the radiator air flow....nothing is coming off of the radiator or A/C condenser.

The front lip there, actually goes right under the frame rail.

Not the best picture, but I can show off our splitter too You can see the intake just behind the grill in this shot.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
No it goes all the way to the grill, and the engine air intake is completely separate of the radiator air flow....nothing is coming off of the radiator or A/C condenser.

The front lip there, actually goes right under the frame rail.

Not the best picture, but I can show off our splitter too You can see the intake just behind the grill in this shot.

Thats definately better, it didnt look like the scoop was that long. So how about a special for $300 if you can get 15 people? lol.

I see you have a plate on the bottom. Does that get rid of that stupid rubber **** along the bottom and is it better for down force and keeping crap out of the engine? Or is it just a CF lip added on?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

For all of the guys with negative comments - Quick question - Do you know how much it costs to develop the tooling and forms to produce products? Then, test them, make adjustments, retool, and produce new forms... It is expensive. That does not even take into consideration the time involved to do it.

Thanks Lou and Anthony for producing a great product - Race tested.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853
For all of the guys with negative comments - Quick question - Do you know how much it costs to develop the tooling and forms to produce products? Then, test them, make adjustments, retool, and produce new forms... It is expensive. That does not even take into consideration the time involved to do it.

I can agree !00% with this but still wind up shaking my head at the business sense of producing this product as is.

Seems to be targeted at a very limited clientele base.

Ya looks like a well engineered unit but who is going to pay $1800 for it?

It will be interesting to see if LG will meet there development costs let alone make any profit.

Just seems out of reach for most for what it does.

Again I am not thrashing the engineering just the marketing choice behind it.

I hope it is a winner for LG.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Why would you ever want to put someone's idea down for pushing the edge of things, and finding out what works for everyone to benefit?

I can really appreciate company's like LG for doing what they do...after putting hours of my own blood, sweat, and tears into r&d in AMA Road Racing.

This way, when you can afford, or want to afford...you CAN go all out because someone put in the time and knowledge you didn't have.

Be YOU, but be POSITIVE!!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by S'vette

I see you have a plate on the bottom. Does that get rid of that stupid rubber **** along the bottom and is it better for down force and keeping crap out of the engine? Or is it just a CF lip added on?
Not to confuse everyone.....but that is a full splitter. Details in the link below.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...cs-inside.html
Old 10-26-2012, 12:32 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe a plastic version is next. That may reduce the cost significantly for us poor people!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Came to late for me

This has been a long time coming and like all of the LG stuff looks great and I am sure performs as advertised. It comes to late for me as I gave up the long wait and installed a Variram CAI on my 08 C6 this summer. My car is strictly street so I doubt there are significant functional performance advantages for me over the Variram system I already have. Since I don't drive it through creeks here in Kentucky hydro locking is not a concern.

Lou I have to admire the R&D and your persistence through all the supplier problems. As one business man to another I think it would have been better if you had nailed down everything (including market research) and had a finished final product ready to ship before announcing it. I assume you were testing the market for what you knew was going to be a limited production item due to pricing. I doubt very many folks here who were excited initially about this product expected it to cost this much.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
Why would you ever want to put someone's idea down for pushing the edge of things, and finding out what works for everyone to benefit?

I can really appreciate company's like LG for doing what they do...after putting hours of my own blood, sweat, and tears into r&d in AMA Road Racing.

This way, when you can afford, or want to afford...you CAN go all out because someone put in the time and knowledge you didn't have.

Be YOU, but be POSITIVE!!
I can't help but agree with the above, but I'm not sure all are putting the product or the research down. They are, however, commenting on the cost, even reduced for CF members.

After all, if we had no innovation such as this, we'd have no padded console lids, no drip-less mirror thingies, no HID bulbs for fog lights or backup lights, no roof-insulating panels, no "wind-blockers," etc. And these are for non-power improving products. I realize it sounds like I'm making fun, but I'm not.

I do believe that some/others wish it was more in what's considered to be the affordable-CAI category. Time will tell if the threshold for recouping initial costs are met, and then the price can/may be dropped somewhat.

No matter what you feel about it, it still presents another option and opportunity for those who want, or need this product. Choice is still a good thing to have.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:24 PM
besz28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JG853

Pleas stop, he wants 1800 for an air intake, Anyone that spends 1800 on an intake is a moron. Period
Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

What mods do you have on your car?

Originally Posted by besz28
Pleas stop, he wants 1800 for an air intake, Anyone that spends 1800 on an intake is a moron. Period
Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I do agree that a much less expensive version of this intake would most likely be very successful. Carbon fiber should be the option, for those that are big ballers ...plastic would work fine for the other 98%er
Old 10-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Guys my comments are just comments in that I am skeptical of the market for this intake at this price level.

Yes I agree that people like Lou do us all a benefit, kudos go out for sure.

Lets just keep the facts straight, I question the marketing plan with this product from a business view point that is all.

This will not be a everyday item for C6 owners. More like a Exotic for the super rich.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:10 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Guys my comments are just comments in that I am skeptical of the market for this intake at this price level.

Yes I agree that people like Lou do us all a benefit, kudos go out for sure.

Lets just keep the facts straight, I question the marketing plan with this product from a business view point that is all.

This will not be a everyday item for C6 owners. More like a Exotic for the super rich.
Especially for me as my vette is my DD and I would be weary of having a scoop that low and right in the front where water can get in easier, like the snake charmer, but if it was just a race car I think it would work great. Looks great too. Maybe if I could afford the ZR1 I would be able to afford the product but thats why Im in a 1LT and modding when I can.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default I Want one for my 2013 427

can I get 2009 prices ?! hhaha... there a group and/or discounted package with off road headers anywhere?
Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gxpz06
can I get 2009 prices ?! hhaha... there a group and/or discounted package with off road headers anywhere?
Check your PM's

Quick Reply: LG SUPER RAM COLD AIR carbon fiber true ram air