C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS question do I need to get it reset everytime?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default TPMS question do I need to get it reset everytime?

I'm installing new rims this weekend. I picked up spare set of TPM sensors. Assuming my tire shop can "train" my new sensors to my Z06...the question I have is, can I simply swap my old rims and tires back onto my car without having to go back to the tires shop to "learn/train".

I assume the answer is "yes" or people would have issues swapping out tires at the track...where it may be difficult to have a "tire sensor reset" (A-tech/Shrader) tool on hand.

thanks in advance for your insight,
Old 08-14-2009, 04:07 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Zed_six
I'm installing new rims this weekend. I picked up spare set of TPM sensors. Assuming my tire shop can "train" my new sensors to my Z06...the question I have is, can I simply swap my old rims and tires back onto my car without having to go back to the tires shop to "learn/train".

I assume the answer is "yes" or people would have issues swapping out tires at the track...where it may be difficult to have a "tire sensor reset" (A-tech/Shrader) tool on hand.

thanks in advance for your insight,
Yes Just mark which corner of the car they belong to.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I think in the above post that Robert (RLSebring) made is taking it to mean that you will swap the same sensors back into your old set of wheels/tires when you change them out.

However, I think you are saying that you have 2 complete sets of wheels/tires/sensors, i.e. a different set of sensors in each set of wheels/tires.

If that's the case, then NO, you cannot just swap between sets without programming the sensors each time you do it.

The TPMS computer can hold 4 sensor ID#s in its memory, so when you program a set of sensors into the TPMS, any old ID#s are dropped out.

You can get a tool from a couple of forum vendors. Katech has the Bartec Trackside for $140, and Tire Rack has an ATEQ VT10 for $105.

Every time I put on my track wheels/tires/sensors I have to do a relearn procedure, and when I swap back to my street tires I do the relearn procedure again - it only takes about a minute.

Bob
Old 08-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Yes, now I've got 8 TPMsensors in total.

I didn't realize you needed to use the "reset tool" every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnyNBgWHDeg

Thank you for your advice!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed_six
Yes, now I've got 8 TPMsensors in total.

I didn't realize you needed to use the "reset tool" every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnyNBgWHDeg

Thank you for your advice!
Yep....every time you swap to wheels with different sensors you'll need to do the relearn procedure.

BTW in my video in the link above you can see what our C6 sensors look like - they're a gray peanut shaped sensor - and they work in all our C6 model years from 2005 to 2009.

Initially I thought the 2010 would certainly be the same, however, and I'm not sure at all about this yet, but the 2010 may have a different TPMS computer in the car that requires a different sensor.

I've been having a hard time getting info on the 2010 model, but the list of RPO codes I've seen indicate that the TPMS has an RPO of UJM (all 2006 to 2009 C6s made for the North American market had a UH3 TPMS). Maybe they've just changed the RPO code for the same piece of equipment, but UJM has been in previous years on several other models of GM vehicles (the Malibu, a Buick, and several others) and it uses a different part# sensor than our C6 uses.

IF the 2010 uses a different sensor, it MAY be possible to program the sensors using the "change of pressure method", i.e. you can put the car into the learn mode and simply increase or decrease the tire pressure about 10 psi until you get a honk of the horn. I think they will trigger with a tool as well.

IF the 2010 uses different sensor, I think I'd still prefer to use a tool at the track - I think that would be a lot easier unless you have a compressor handy in your paddock area, and probably a lot quicker too because you'd have to go around and reset all your tire pressures after you're done.

Anyway....not sure at all about the 2010s yet!

Bob
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Sorry mis-read the OP
Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Excind
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zed six- Just wanted to say I love the "woolly mammoth" especially after the run when it looks like it has been groomed!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Thanks! That car was very fun to drive. Big block Chevy, 2800lbs or less, big tires.

Originally Posted by Excind
Zed six- Just wanted to say I love the "woolly mammoth" especially after the run when it looks like it has been groomed!

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS question do I need to get it reset everytime?

Quick Reply: TPMS question do I need to get it reset everytime?