C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Plastic Engine / Coil Covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

I removed them to reduce engine heat retention/ heat being trapped under the cover.

Artwork..some say it looks better with and some without the beauty covers.
The cover can reduce some lifter and fuel injector noise.

Best of luck in your decision.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:27 AM
MDSilverVette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I removed mine...bought some valve covers, cleaned the engine yesterday and painted my coils red. Going to relocate the coils also either like in the pic since I already have the relocation kit or remove so you just see the valve covers.

Going for a look similar to this:

Old 03-08-2016, 01:44 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DAL01

this is not a how to question but a why question. (i am referring to the big plastic covers that say "LS3" on them)

do some of you guys remove them because you can't stand the look of all that plastic covering your engines and you would rather see the coil packs and valve covers? or maybe because it will allow heat to escape from around the coils keeping them cooler and help create a better spark?

i plan on getting some nice valve covers, MSD Coils and fuel rails when i add the new FAST 102 intake but until then i was wondering about above.

tks, dal

They serve no purpose, help trap heat, and add weight; there's no reason to keep them on the car. Also they are pretty easy to sell for a few extra bucks to help fund performance mods

Old 03-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
I actually like the way they look?
They hide all the ugly sh$t.....
Old 03-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-C6
Looks nice, what type of coils are you using?

SC
Those are the standard GM C6 coils -- just with a few coats of High Heat Engine Enamel from a rattle can.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:20 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

this is not a how to question but a why question. (i am referring to the big plastic covers that say "LS3" on them)

do some of you guys remove them because you can't stand the look of all that plastic covering your engines and you would rather see the coil packs and valve covers? or maybe because it will allow heat to escape from around the coils keeping them cooler and help create a better spark?

i plan on getting some nice valve covers, MSD Coils and fuel rails when i add the new FAST 102 intake but until then i was wondering about above.

tks, dal
It is funny you should say that, because I started taking the plastic covers off all my vettes (dating back to 1998) when at the track for the exact same reason, thinking that keeping the coil packs cooler would result in better spark, which would result in a better 1/4 time.

I cannot honestly say it improved my times either way, it has just become superstition to me now, my thinking is it can't hurt.

I only do that at the strip, and put them back on when I leave IMO it looks better and hides all the dirt.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:23 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSilverVette
I removed mine...bought some valve covers, cleaned the engine yesterday and painted my coils red. Going to relocate the coils also either like in the pic since I already have the relocation kit or remove so you just see the valve covers.

Going for a look similar to this:

Looks great! , now just replace those stock exhaust manifolds, with some ARH headers.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

tks, dal
All in a persons taste I personally think that without the "Nice Looking" FRC the motor is quite ugly, but that is only my opinion. So do what pleases you
NSF

Old 03-09-2016, 09:06 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Pulled mine.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by petsur
Pulled mine.

Looks good!
Old 03-09-2016, 12:35 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
All in a persons taste I personally think that without the "Nice Looking" FRC the motor is quite ugly, but that is only my opinion. So do what pleases you
NSF
I agree. I don't like them off either, all personal taste.

And to think back in the 80's...we always were thinking up of ways to "cover" the ugly and Chevy did it for us with these FRC's.

Course.. I must confess, I do like the look with everything relocated that just shows the intake and valve covers.

Now just have to change paint color from the red to yellow and I'll be all set.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
NSF

And they keep the coils cooler...

Quick Reply: Removing Plastic Engine / Coil Covers