C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Engine Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Broken Engine Mount

Look what I found:

Name:  DSCF4410.jpg
Views: 6396
Size:  181.8 KB

That's the passenger side engine mount on my car; it is a fluid filled mount; basically a rubber boot with hydraulic oil inside it to absorb engine vibrations.
It must have broken some time ago but I did not notice because the other one was OK, and the engine is tied to a hard driveline that soaks up a lot of the movement.
Fluid filled mounts are notorious for breaking early. Subaru experimented with them in 2004, they broke left and right, they replaced them with solid rubber mounts and never went back to fluid filled ones. A Google search for "Broken Engine Mount" will reveal that other GM vehicles (Cadillacs, for instance) and Mazdas use them too, with similar reliability records. Another guy doing an engine swap on his Corvette also found a broken mount.

Unfortunately the only aftermarket option are the Pfadts and they are just too harsh for a daily driver; there is very minimal dampening on them since they are a PU sleeve surrounded by metal.
It'd be nice if someone made a replacement mount that was solid rubber or polyurethane; stiffer than stock, but still with adequate dampening for a reasonably quiet daily driver. There is a company making them for the 2010 Camaro, but nothing for the C6 yet... Here is what such a mount WOULD look like if it existed for our cars;

Till then, does anyone know a good place to get two new factory mounts...
Old 12-11-2009, 09:35 AM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see you back Sam.. Good info on the mounts. Seems a little weak to me also..Does the ZR1 use the same mounts? Maybe Gene can chime in..
Old 12-11-2009, 04:08 PM
wooden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been wanting to put just one pfadts motor mount in and leave the stock on the other side as to not have too much vibration. i just don,t want to pay for a set and only use one mount, if you are interested in doing the same let me know we can go 50/50 on the pfadt mounts.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

cool idea.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:22 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

gene cully will get you stock mounts and from what I've read from people with Pfadt's the vibration is minimal
Old 12-11-2009, 05:52 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Hey PL,

i was wondering what was going on with my engine mounts when oil was leaking out of them..

are they completely sealed? maybe i just had them upside down. anyways, i took out my stock ones, they looked fine,, put them on the floor, then a couple hours later, there was oil everywhere. i was like , wtf!!

i put in the PFADT engine mounts. and can report no harsh vibrations with my setup.. aka stock cam... keys dont rattle in cupholder. and i completely dont even noticed anything vibrating.

my 2 cents..

-carl
Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 PM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We like these.

These motor mounts are precision machined from T-6 billet aluminum and specially formulated polyurethane.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby @ LG Motorsports
We like these.

These motor mounts are precision machined from T-6 billet aluminum and specially formulated polyurethane.
Is it a secret who makes these or where they can be purchased or are they just too expensive to even consider?

Both of mine are leaking again after being replaced under warrantee a year or so ago.

--Dan
Old 12-11-2009, 07:42 PM
wooden
Racer

Originally Posted by dbratten
Is it a secret who makes these or where they can be purchased or are they just too expensive to even consider?

Both of mine are leaking again after being replaced under warrantee a year or so ago.

--Dan
I am intersted too.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by dbratten

--Dan
I plugged in to google "Corvette T-6 Billet Aluminum motor mounts" and at the bottom of the page saw a photo like Bobby's. Don't know if it's the same one.
http://www.google.com/products?q=Cor...ed=0CDUQrQQwCg

Last edited by AORoads; 12-11-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default OEM motor mounts C6

I've got a pair of OEM motor mounts which were take-offs from my '06 Z51 with 12K miles on them--excellent condition--no launches, no tracking. I installed the Pfadt mounts and love 'em. You can have the OEM's for $125. + shipping and paypal. Let me know
Old 12-11-2009, 08:50 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default OEM motor mounts

PM sent.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 1994 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe that stalled half the time when I shifted to reverse.

A fellow T-Bird owner said it was the motor mount. What was happening when I shifted to reverse, the engine movement caused mount to bottom out, there was a metal to metal contact which triggered the knock sensor which resulted in the PCM pulled out ignition advance causing it to stall.

I replaced the mount and no more stalling.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:50 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wooden
I have been wanting to put just one pfadts motor mount in and leave the stock on the other side as to not have too much vibration. i just don,t want to pay for a set and only use one mount, if you are interested in doing the same let me know we can go 50/50 on the pfadt mounts.
That'd be like putting just one aftermarket muffler so the car isn't too loud, or just one high perfromance brake pad so it stops better but doesn't make as much noise. Putting one hard mount and leaving a stock mount in there will just ensure that the polyurethane bushing on the hard mount fails very quickly since it will be doing most of the work.

Originally Posted by carlrx7
Hey PL,

i was wondering what was going on with my engine mounts when oil was leaking out of them..

are they completely sealed? maybe i just had them upside down. anyways, i took out my stock ones, they looked fine,, put them on the floor, then a couple hours later, there was oil everywhere. i was like , wtf!!
Yeah, they are hermetically sealed; if they leak, they've failed.
Otherwise when the engine flexed the mount oil would squirt out
Old 12-12-2009, 11:55 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have never bought a Pfadt part I didn't like....
Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by YLOFEVR
I've got a pair of OEM motor mounts which were take-offs from my '06 Z51 with 12K miles on them--excellent condition--no launches, no tracking. I installed the Pfadt mounts and love 'em. You can have the OEM's for $125. + shipping and paypal. Let me know
tell us how they feel... vibration?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:24 PM
wooden
Racer

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
That'd be like putting just one aftermarket muffler so the car isn't too loud, or just one high perfromance brake pad so it stops better but doesn't make as much noise. Putting one hard mount and leaving a stock mount in there will just ensure that the polyurethane bushing on the hard mount fails very quickly since it will be doing most of the work.

Yeah, they are hermetically sealed; if they leak, they've failed.
Otherwise when the engine flexed the mount oil would squirt out

it would not have any more stress than the stock one has, others have done it with success thats why I am thinking about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Engine Mount

Old 12-12-2009, 01:34 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I plugged in to google "Corvette T-6 Billet Aluminum motor mounts" and at the bottom of the page saw a photo like Bobby's. Don't know if it's the same one.
http://www.google.com/products?q=Cor...ed=0CDUQrQQwCg
Thank you. Should have done that myself.

At that price the Pfadt mounts look even better.

--Dan
Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

the passenger side is the one that will go first, it gets "stretched" whenever the engine tourques it, I believe the engine turns clockwise as you look at it from the front. If it where me i would also use the pfadt one. It looks like a solid mount and my guess would be it wouldnt fail for the life of the car. The oem one with the juice inside will give you less vibration but i really dont think it would be noticed. The LS engine series are balanced so well that i dont think its going to be an issue. Could probably go with solid mounts if a guy was drag racing alot. Hey guys who break em are studs who are really using the vette's the way they are supposed to be used,,,,,,,, drive it like you stole it. be safe, paul
Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Jim_H
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had never thought about the motor mounts before. I checked out the Pfadt site and they claim it can help the wheel hop problem and they have a pretty convincing video too.

I'm also concerned about the increased vibration and lack of dampening by using them too however. Can someone who has them tell us how they feel?

Quick Reply: Broken Engine Mount