C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting hole in my hood- crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 05:38 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

A number of racers are using the RunCool louvers

--Dan
Old 02-13-2014, 04:59 PM
walter1234
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is did it work? Having the hole did it lower your running coolant or oil temperature?
Old 07-05-2015, 04:03 PM
jaymattes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hood cut out dimensions?

Hood looks great! I want to do the same. Do you know the dimensions of the cut out, and some advice how to cut it out. I have never done anything like that. I don't want to mess it up.

Thank you,
J
Old 07-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmansan
You're joking right? You don't think the aerodynamics of the car and the airflow through the front are not different now (in a bad way).

San
Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I agree that coolant/oil control is needed to control heat in the engine, but neither have a great affect on underhood air temps except making them higher. IAT changes can mean significant HP swings and the only reasonable method to control the upper underhood air temp is through air flow, such as scoops and vents. If the OP has an intercooler it adds to the problem.
Your ewp is probably the key to lower coolant temps in stop and go traffic, which seems to be the OP's problem.
Originally Posted by Licit
I don't think it's that bad either. Doesn't fit the profile for rice since it actually has a purpose in allowing underhood hot air to be released. I can think of a couple of aftermarket hoods that look more like *** than his diy hood.
All valid arguments toward venting and aerodynamics however the closer you get to the windshield, the higher the pressure. That's why anything showing off fuel rail covers is just decoration.

To effect real changes in running temperature, one would have to vent the area immedately after the radiator. Just one or two inches of vent past the radiator yields real results.

Anything else is just window dressing. Even though a hoodless or mid-vented hood effectively vents heat after the car is parked, it is not the same principle as a car in motion with the engineered airflow through the engine bay.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:28 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

It was quite a while ago when I did the hood. I measured the mark out about 10 times to make sure I got the dimensions right. Used painters tape to protect the hood and made the outline with a marker on the tape. Then I drilled 4 pilot holes in each corner. Next I used a jig saw with a fresh bit and carefully followed the outline on the tape. Then I used a hand file to smooth out the cut, and finally picked up some weatherstrip at the O'Reilly Auto parts to finish it off.

Good luck man!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default i made two holes ....

I cut two holes in my gs to let the heat out works great a great improvement over heat sink....
Old 07-07-2015, 12:35 AM
jaymattes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dovervold
It was quite a while ago when I did the hood. I measured the mark out about 10 times to make sure I got the dimensions right. Used painters tape to protect the hood and made the outline with a marker on the tape. Then I drilled 4 pilot holes in each corner. Next I used a jig saw with a fresh bit and carefully followed the outline on the tape. Then I used a hand file to smooth out the cut, and finally picked up some weatherstrip at the O'Reilly Auto parts to finish it off.

Good luck man!
Thanks! Do you know how much cooler your car runs now with hole?
Old 07-07-2015, 12:39 AM
jaymattes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xBoostx
I cut two holes in my gs to let the heat out works great a great improvement over heat sink....
Ok cool yea I'm experienceing heat sink to. Do you have any pics. I would like to see the holes?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 12:37 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jaymattes
Ok cool yea I'm experienceing heat sink to. Do you have any pics. I would like to see the holes?

Thanks
Will take some pics and post them when i get back home later, heat likes to rise so when engine is running with the hand over the hole is like the fan is rite under blowing out.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:37 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Default Some pics...

Some holes to fight back heat...kick it out!
Attached Images    
Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

one mor hole pic...

Just resent so haven't finish liner inside as of yet, not a priority rite now.

Liner was cut neatly so finishing it will be easy, because the air flows outward the liner is not been thrown around at all.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2015, 11:57 PM
jaymattes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xBoostx
one mor hole pic...

Just resent so haven't finish liner inside as of yet, not a priority rite now.

Liner was cut neatly so finishing it will be easy, because the air flows outward the liner is not been thrown around at all.
Looks good thanks for the pics!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:48 AM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I picked up an extra hood cheap from someone who put an aftermarket hood on his car. I'm going to customize it with louvers. At first I was thinking about louvers on both sides but I see Mustang and Viper do it like that. So now I think I'll do it in the center like the C7. I could buy the stock plastic unit but I think I'm gonna make my own in f-glass and mold it in. Another project this winter.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:20 PM
Orange1974
5th Gear

Default Awesome!

Originally Posted by dovervold
OK, call me crazy, but here it is. Actually the cut out went easier than expected. I have to tell you, it looks pretty good. I am planning to buy a World Challange hood, so I really didn't have anything to lose. I am going to give it some street time and see how it goes. Thanks for of all the feedback, I knew there would be some aggressive comments about this idea!
I like it, you do you and don't worry about anyone else!

Quick Reply: Cutting hole in my hood- crazy?