C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problem - Shims needed?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Starter problem - Shims needed?

I got the new LS3 running today in my '06 A6 coupe. I am having a problem with the starter not engaging properly. It will engage the teeth on the flexplate, try to turn until it times out and then the starter will not disengage from the flexplate. I pulled all the plugs and turned the motor over by hand and it didn't seem any more difficult than normal. GM parts rep says same starter part number for the '06 thru '10 so I'm guessing not a compatibility issue. Do I need to shim the starter? I did a search and found nothing in C5 or C6 tech...

Never Mind...

I found the problem - I had taken only one picture during engine disassembly and removal - it just happened to be the one below of the starter wiring

The ground in the red arrow was pushed back behind the bell housing and did not get attached:

Problem solved!

Last edited by vetracer; 01-25-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vetracer
I got the new LS3 running today in my '06 A6 coupe. I am having a problem with the starter not engaging properly. It will engage the teeth on the flexplate, try to turn until it times out and then the starter will not disengage from the flexplate. I pulled all the plugs and turned the motor over by hand and it didn't seem any more difficult than normal. GM parts rep says same starter part number for the '06 thru '10 so I'm guessing not a compatibility issue. Do I need to shim the starter? I did a search and found nothing in C5 or C6 tech...

Never Mind...

I found the problem - I had taken only one picture during engine disassembly and removal - it just happened to be the one below of the starter wiring

The ground in the red arrow was pushed back behind the bell housing and did not get attached:

Problem solved!
That will do it. Great picture.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
That will do it. Great picture.
Thanks! it looked better after I put the new motor in and steam cleaned everything with my wife's extra clothing steamer:

Car runs great. Finally back on the road after being out of comission since the day after Christmas. It's good to be back in the vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter problem - Shims needed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter problem - Shims needed?