C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header and intake gains

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Header and intake gains

I was going to put headers, cats and a calaway honker intake on my new ls3 w/npp exhaust. Will I gain much out of this without tuning it? or could it be a negative if I do this without a tune?
Appreciate your input.
Thanks
Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Why spend the money for those nice mods and then not want to put it all together with a tune? The combo of the 3 will give you some very nice gains!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Why spend the money for those nice mods and then not want to put it all together with a tune? The combo of the 3 will give you some very nice gains!
I dare say it.....the warranty issue. There I said it.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Neumonic2002.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by jksvet
Same question... the warranty issue??? I am thinking about the same thing. Will it void the warranty?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 PM
mikez51c6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

I just did intake and full exhaust on a 2010 GS a6. With just the vararam and stock tune the car made 376rwhp. Then with longtubes, catted x pipe,NPP catback, vararam, and stock tune the car made 394rwhp. The car was around 12.3 afr after the mods with the stock tune. Ended up making 407 rwhp after tuning.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Zteve
Racer

They can void your warranty for headers and intake, so what's the difference?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:25 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Instead of assuming and spreading doom and gloom stories, call your dealer and ask what mods they allow. My dealer warrantied any mod they installed including superchargers and extended warranties can honor anything if the tuner you use endorses the mod. I have seen S/C modded cars get a new engine under warranty (Vette Doctors) and I have seen diffs repaired AND upgraded under warranty (Corvettes of Westchester). I saw RacerX's car get a computer replaced and it had H/Cgears/tune...and they knew about the mods. The tech gets tipped and the dealer sells him all his cars (7 that I know of).

Simply go to the dealer that honors warranties on modded cars and buy your car from one that doesnt shaft guys for non-sense.

Dealers get paid for repairs regardless of fault. They arent going to tell a customer to pound pavement if they want repeat sales.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 AM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
I just did intake and full exhaust on a 2010 GS a6. With just the vararam and stock tune the car made 376rwhp. Then with longtubes, catted x pipe,NPP catback, vararam, and stock tune the car made 394rwhp. The car was around 12.3 afr after the mods with the stock tune. Ended up making 407 rwhp after tuning.
That was the information I was looking for. Thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 AM
One Bad Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Instead of assuming and spreading doom and gloom stories, call your dealer and ask what mods they allow. My dealer warrantied any mod they installed including superchargers and extended warranties can honor anything if the tuner you use endorses the mod. I have seen S/C modded cars get a new engine under warranty (Vette Doctors) and I have seen diffs repaired AND upgraded under warranty (Corvettes of Westchester). I saw RacerX's car get a computer replaced and it had H/Cgears/tune...and they knew about the mods. The tech gets tipped and the dealer sells him all his cars (7 that I know of).

Simply go to the dealer that honors warranties on modded cars and buy your car from one that doesnt shaft guys for non-sense.

Dealers get paid for repairs regardless of fault. They arent going to tell a customer to pound pavement if they want repeat sales.
Good post But if your really that concerned about warranty issues, then maybe modding and racing your car isnt really for you anyways. Like they say, sometimes you gotta pay to play. Its a risk some of us take. 100% worth it to me. You make the call.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpinMonster

Dude, are you having a bad day. No where did anyone spread or assume any doom or gloom stories here. I was just asking for some information. I had no intention of turning this into a warranty thread.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Checkout the TSP C6 long tube system, for the money they're just about impossible to beat! We have off-road systems in stock now & will have cat systems late next week!

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=1015&catid=8
Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

This was your response to my suggestion of tuning your car if you performed the mods you mentioned in your post. I didn't see Spin's reply as a doom and gloom but a helpful tip to have you check with your dealer you plan on using to service your vette before you mod your car to see how they will treat you should you have an issue down the road.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

jksvet,

Where are you located?

I am in STL and have an excellent dealer I work with that has one of the best vette Mechanic's in the Midwest, he is very mod friendly as long as you use reputable shop's!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
jksvet,

Where are you located?

I am in STL and have an excellent dealer I work with that has one of the best vette Mechanic's in the Midwest, he is very mod friendly as long as you use reputable shop's!

Thanks, you wouldn't be talking about Corvett Bill would you? He's a friend of mine who does the corvette work at one of the larger dealerships. He's also in the process of doing a complete frame off restoration of another friends 66 427. He also built another friend of mines z06. What a beast that thing is. This guy is great. He said he would do my instal for me as well as getting me lined up with a dyno tune. I'm not concerned about him taking care of any issues I may have, but I travel a alot with my cars and was just wondering what the difference would be making the mods without the tune.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
iluvettes3
Racer

I put a set of dyantech headers w/cats and X pipe dumping out with 3" Z06 pipes/mufflers....while waiting for my tune the car was a beast compared to stock....but a tune IS NEEDED if you start doing work because the factory computer wont account for the work and make you eat gas because of it. I am getting my custome tune and vararam installed today....will post more tomm if you anyone is interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Header and intake gains

Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by iluvettes3
I put a set of dyantech headers w/cats and X pipe dumping out with 3" Z06 pipes/mufflers....while waiting for my tune the car was a beast compared to stock....but a tune IS NEEDED if you start doing work because the factory computer wont account for the work and make you eat gas because of it. I am getting my custome tune and vararam installed today....will post more tomm if you anyone is interested.

It looks like the exhaust install mentioned previously w/o a tune leaned the car out nicely to 12:1-ish... do you know it was running rich before the tune?

I'd like to see your untuned dyno vs. your tuned dyno A/F
Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iluvettes3
I'm interested. Good info.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Thanks, you wouldn't be talking about Corvett Bill would you? He's a friend of mine who does the corvette work at one of the larger dealerships. He's also in the process of doing a complete frame off restoration of another friends 66 427. He also built another friend of mines z06. What a beast that thing is. This guy is great. He said he would do my instal for me as well as getting me lined up with a dyno tune. I'm not concerned about him taking care of any issues I may have, but I travel a alot with my cars and was just wondering what the difference would be making the mods without the tune.
Yes I was, I have also watched the progress of the 66' very very nice!
I have been freinds with Billy for some time now, great guy not to mention he is an expert when it comes to C5's and C6's not to mention some of the older gems.

I lost power from a cold air intake until I had it tuned, you can verify that with the guy Bill uses for tuning (he did a couple tunes for me last year) I have enjoyed the little bit of modding I have done to this car so far, did Heads & cam to my last vette and hope to control myself a little more with this one.

shoot me a PM if you ever want to shoot the sh_t about cars over a beer.

Quick Reply: Header and intake gains