C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning! FAST fuel line adaptor ( PN 54028) Failed on my C6Z.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Warning! FAST fuel line adaptor ( PN 54028) Failed on my C6Z.

I'll try and keep this one short, but I felt everyone should know. I installed my FAST 102 Intake, FAST LS7 fuel rails and supporting fuel rails last January.

Post #47.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...l-intro-3.html

Off and on since that date I have smelled fuel fumes near the 3/8" hardline to -6an adaptor ( in this case PN 54028). It was a B*tch to get on when I installed it which should have been a sign.

several underhood inspections after install showed NO percievable leakage of the adaptor but the smell was always there in different degrees.

I drove the car back and forth to work for 3 months, dyno'd it and just completed 2 full track days at PPIR running with NASA in group 3.

Last Thrursday when I left work, I hit the start button and the motor would not fire ( never happens), so I shut it off....then smelled gas. Pulled my Halon extinguisher ( always installed under my legs on track or not).

Luckily NO flames as nothing was hot yet ( think uncoated Kooks headers). The adaptor had completely unseated itself from the hard line. after tons of lubricant I was able to get the piece seated back down to the point where I could not physically pull it off. Drove the car home and parked it.

I washed the car on friday but have not driven it. When I inspected it yesterday, I could smell fuel again JUST by the hardline adaptor.

Made a phone call to FAST on friday. They said they have never seen a warranty issue with them and he suggested I replace the internal O-rings at a local hardware store...WHAT????

He also informed me that he could not send me new O-rings ( I inspected those too...no nicks/cuts) because the units "come from a vendor like that"

I'm contacting Russell ( A.K.A. Edelbrock) today to get one of thier units. I'll update everyone when I find a solution. you would think that after spending over $1200 with FAST they would send out a retail $35 part.

I do not even want to think about what would have happened if this thing let go while I was on track with a 5 point harness on at 125MPH down the back straight at PPIR.

JSB would have become charcoal metallic
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you refering to the adapter that connects to the factory fuel feed tube? If so I think you will find that the Russell fitting is a POS. I tried using one on a Z some time ago and found that its fitment was, lets say a little disappointing. Once it was on, I felt it unsure about how well it fit, so I tugged on it and off it came, if that thing comes off when the car is running and hot, I would hate to be responsible for that one!

I used a Dorman fuel connector, it's spring loaded like a factory connector, it will not come off, but its not nearly as "pretty" as the Russell or Aeroquipe fitting that converts to AN. This fitting requires it be clammped on with EFI fuel line clamps. I double clampped it as well and have used these fittings in several applications without failure and with confidence that it won't pop off.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjwong
I used a Dorman fuel connector, it's spring loaded like a factory connector, it will not come off, but its not nearly as "pretty" as the Russell or Aeroquipe fitting that converts to AN. This fitting requires it be clammped on with EFI fuel line clamps. I double clampped it as well and have used these fittings in several applications without failure and with confidence that it won't pop off.
Perfect! any idea which PN you used?

At this point pretty is NOT a priority. I track the car. Certain things I can deal with replacing/breaking but this is NOT one of them.

Dorman website is HUGE!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
Perfect! any idea which PN you used?

At this point pretty is NOT a priority. I track the car. Certain things I can deal with replacing/breaking but this is NOT one of them.

Dorman website is HUGE!
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-16452-800-121.aspx
Old 04-20-2010, 01:22 AM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's an option...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...be-flared.html
Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Thanks, It appears that the female end of this unit is still an OEM "click it" connection. I was trying to avoid that. The OEM fuel line on our Z's is braided stanless and made out of metal, with metal tabs and with an internal metal spring to keep it in place. Much better qualty than what the aftermarket has come up with, IMHO.

Originally Posted by AVB
I thought of that too. I'm tempted to hack up the OEM Braided line and use a push-lock/crimp style connector as it feeds to my -6an fuel rail lines.

Jaosn at Katech just used the aeromotive piece and he said it worked well, I may try that first. If I still smell fuel, then flaring may be the ticket.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 AM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had multple failures of the Russel here as well. I no longer use any aftermarket quick disconnects. In its place I use a steel swagelock 3/8" compression to -6an adapter and attach it directly to line.

Phil
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

^^ I Use the same. We offer an install kit from Nasty Performance for this.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RoadRebel
I have had multple failures of the Russel here as well. I no longer use any aftermarket quick disconnects. In its place I use a steel swagelock 3/8" compression to -6an adapter and attach it directly to line.

Phil
Phil has the best solution, using either a Swagelok or a Parker CPI adatper from tube to AN is the best way to do it and assures a leak free and idiot proof connection as long as one is smart enough to tighten the fitting correctly.

Here is the Swagelok part number:

SS-600-6-6AN

It should be available at your local Swagelok dealer which are located in most major cities. If you were close by I have them here.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjwong
Phil has the best solution, using either a Swagelok or a Parker CPI adatper from tube to AN is the best way to do it and assures a leak free and idiot proof connection as long as one is smart enough to tighten the fitting correctly.

Here is the Swagelok part number:

SS-600-6-6AN

It should be available at your local Swagelok dealer which are located in most major cities. If you were close by I have them here.
Perfect! just what I was looking for. $14 from my local dealer

MFG web page.

http://www.swagelok.com/search/produ...t=SS-600-6-6AN

I'm constantly amazed at the knowledge and experience here on the forum.

Thanks TJwong. 99blancoss, RoadRebel ( A.K.A. "phil")!

I'll let you guys know how it works..with some pics when I get back from my Vacation...

-=MIke
Attached Images  

Last edited by bowtiguy; 04-21-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:59 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Here is what I did...with pics of the Swagelock compression fitting....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...uel-rails.html

so far...so good!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:27 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
Here is what I did...with pics of the Swagelock compression fitting....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...uel-rails.html

so far...so good!
You won't have any issues with that swagelok fitting, they are good for 1000+ PSI. I have used them for 20+ years in the pulp and paper industry for instrument fittings. I just finished a forged 418 engine installation into an 08 C6 that had a parallel fuel system installed using the aftermarket style GM connections. This was a supercharged engine with braided lines coming up to the engine to feed the fuel rail and also made connections at the firewall and the stock fuel rail with those aftermarket fittings. Both of which were replaced with the Swagelok adapters. One of the original fittings came apart during the disassembly and removal of the powertrain, there was no hesitation on my part to replace those fittings.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

One year later and not a single problem..

I've had several PM's lately off my car build post, so I thought everyone would like to know this part works great with NO leakage issues!

I actually went and bought two more and converted my transmission cooler lines going to the radiator to -6an as well after the dealer fubared them up on my last engine R&R.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 AM
nspendleton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is old as crap, but I am getting ready to put some Aeromotive fuel rails on my LS3 and came across this thread. Swagelok is the bees knees and cats pajamas! I work in the chemical industry and use it for work all the time and its great! I just went through our spare Swagelok drawer and didn't find an AN fitting, but I'll definitely be calling my local rep to get this part before I install!

I tried searching on the forum for the answer, but is there a ideal way to route the fuel lines to the billet rails? I was planning on coming out of the fuel line to the passenger, crossing over in front to the drivers side and putting a plug in the back. I've got all bolt on mods so its just purely aesthetics.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning! FAST fuel line adaptor ( PN 54028) Failed on my C6Z.

Quick Reply: Warning! FAST fuel line adaptor ( PN 54028) Failed on my C6Z.