C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating Forged wheels..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM
m R g S r
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powdercoating Forged wheels..?

So i mentioned powdercoating forged wheels on s2ki (s2000 community) and a few mentioned that it was a bad idea.

I'm looking for some experience here from guys who have powdercoated forged aluminum wheels such as ccws and their results when tracked/abuse with the wheels

One guy mentioned that he spoke to John at ccw and he was not totally against powdercoating, but did mention that it could weaken the wheel.

Another guy mentioned that there were documented failures of CTSV's optional forged wheels after powdercoating...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:32 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by m R g S r
So i mentioned powdercoating forged wheels on s2ki (s2000 community) and a few mentioned that it was a bad idea.

I'm looking for some experience here from guys who have powdercoated forged aluminum wheels such as ccws and their results when tracked/abuse with the wheels

One guy mentioned that he spoke to John at ccw and he was not totally against powdercoating, but did mention that it could weaken the wheel.

Another guy mentioned that there were documented failures of CTSV's optional forged wheels after powdercoating...
I'm expecting new powder coated from CCW by the end of this week. John never mentioned weakening the wheels with this process but we shall see...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I've asked this question a number of times myself and never got an answer. I was concerned that since powdercoating involves heating the wheels, I was concerned it may compromise the heat treating process. I suppose it depends on how much heat is used and the cooling process. A metalurgist could give us an answer.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 PM
m R g S r
Pro

I'm a M.E. and always overthink stuff, thats why I'm bringing up the question. It probably won't be a concern, but I'm just curious...

Powdercoating curing temps are about 390-400deg F. Depending on the type of aluminum used, annealing normally occurs around 650+ deg F.

But I'm not sure on the effect on strength of heating then cooling the aluminum at this temp during the process. Thats why I was asking for real world experience, because sometimes even when something works out on paper, in the real world it reacts differently.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm a M.E. and always overthink stuff, thats why I'm bringing up the question. It probably won't be a concern, but I'm just curious...
Lots people do it with no issues.

Like they say, you can tell an engineer, you just can't tell him much!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Powdercoating curing temps are about 390-400deg F. Depending on the type of aluminum used, annealing normally occurs around 650+ deg F.

But I'm not sure on the effect on strength of heating then cooling the aluminum at this temp during the process. Thats why I was asking for real world experience, because sometimes even when something works out on paper, in the real world it reacts differently.
http://metalbashatorium.com/heat_treating_aluminium.htm

Forged wheels are usually 6061-T6...one look at the table in the link above reveals 400°F for 20 minutes won't do anything to the strength of the wheel. If anything, it would make it stronger but the time spent at 400°F in the oven to "melt" the paint isn't enough to raise the temperature of the aluminum wheel to the aging/precipitation heat treatment temperature.

The "one guy" that spoke to John at CCW is most likely full of BS as well as the others on that forum. Lack of knowledge does not prevent some people from talking/posting...it's like a disease and it manifests itself by BS spewing from the mouth/keyboard.
The following users liked this post:
Race Tech Forged (11-04-2016)
Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Lack of knowledge does not prevent some people from talking/posting...it's like a disease and it manifests itself by BS spewing from the mouth/keyboard.
I want to quote this for posterity.
The following users liked this post:
Race Tech Forged (11-04-2016)
Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I want to quote this for posterity.

I bought my CCW wheels from the Company 2 years ago. They were powder coated by the P.C. they do business with. If there was an issue with the process Im confident John would have told me when I spoke to him at the time.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

unless performed incorrectly, I can't imagine why powdercoating forged wheels would be a problem.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
unless performed incorrectly, I can't imagine why powdercoating forged wheels would be a problem.
Bill.... I doubt CCW and many many other wheel mfg would powder coat if strength was compromised! Perhaps under EXTREME track conditions but then why would you want powder coat to start with?

My guess is a large enough POT HOLE can raise hell with any wheel if hit hard enough.... somethings going to give!

I'm looking forward to receiving mine HOPEFULLY this week! Post some pic of them if anyone is interested....
Old 10-12-2010, 07:08 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

You know we're always interested in pics. What model and size did you go with?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 PM
m R g S r
Pro

me? or him? lol
i went with 18x10 and 18x11
gunna use the 275/35/18 kuhmo mx i have sitting here for the front and bf good kdw 295/35/18 for the rear for the time being. then when i go widebody i will get larger tires and possibly spacers depending on how much clearance i have back there (i will want them to sit flush)

Get notified of new replies

To Powdercoating Forged wheels..?

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Forged wheels..?