C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolling noise over 60mph from rear of my C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's excellent. My favorite part is $126 for the bearing assembly

Can you get the C6 part for that? or just the C5?

I'm probably going to start inspecting tomorrow so I'll post my own findings.

Excellent stuff, thanks!

Fred
Old 12-01-2010, 10:53 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

yes there is a part like this for the c6....in fact, it may be the exact same part...you'll have to verify that by year though...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=346773_0_0_
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Slammed04ram
Instructor

the rear at advanced autoparts cost me 170 bucks..the front i got off ebay for around 60 bucks..i would highly recommend the seller too..Have bought alot stuff from him and has excellent customer service..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Originally Posted by Slammed04ram
the rear at advanced autoparts cost me 170 bucks..the front i got off ebay for around 60 bucks..i would highly recommend the seller too..Have bought alot stuff from him and has excellent customer service..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Hey, NOW you're talkin'!

My 2009 is still under warranty, of course. Shouldn't Chevy give me a new wheel bearing? Or am I under some illusion about what a "3 year bumper-to-bumper, 5 year drivetrain" warranty really is? I've never had a new car before, and never had an warranty. My last car (which I still have) is a 1984 Toyota Supra which I bought in 1988.

Am I wasting my time trying to get a new bearing from the dealer?

Thanks,

Fred
Old 12-02-2010, 07:25 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Well, jacked the car up and tested the wheels by trying to tilt top/bottom back and forth (or in/out).

I could feel absolutely no slop or movement from the bearings. The parking brake was off, and the tires/wheels could be rotated back/forth maybe an inch or so. I had the tranny in N.

Does it sound like I did this correctly? Here are 2 pix:

http://www.400gt.com/misc/corvette-b...01202-1522.jpg

http://www.400gt.com/misc/corvette-b...01202-1529.jpg

I was expecting to feel at least some play, but could feel absolutely nothing.

Thanks!

Fred
Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You can mix your old/new tires while you experiment. It won't hurt anything. You can't put front tires on the rear though. Well you can, but your active handling will kick in and do odd things. You have to maintain close to stock front to rear tire size ratio or the car thinks something is wrong. A slipped belt sounds like this, and swapping tires will test that. You must have new rims, double check to make sure they're not rubbing somewhere (unlikely but easy to check when wheels are off).

While you have the wheels off check your big axle nuts. They are sometimes loose and cause clunking. There was a big thread on that a while back. It's a 34 mm or 1 5/16 socket and 118 ft lbs.

If those tests don't stop the noise you might want to retest the bearings. Except for the mileage, this sounds like a bad bearing symptom to me as well.

Jack both back wheels off the ground at the same time by using your scissor in the middle of the cradle. I've been doing this for 8 years on my vettes and I swap tires nearly every weekend. It won't hurt your car. I use the jack right on the cradle. This way, you can rotate the tires round and round and feel for a gravelly feel.

With the car lifted, use a long pry bar under the tire and pry it up and look for play - up and down and back and forth using the bar. You might feel it more than see it, it shouldn't clunk up and down and a bad bearing will clunk just a tiny bit when you first move it. You can get more leverage than you can with your hand with the bar.

Or just take it to the dealer after you do the tire test - they will replace the bearing on an 09 or whatever it is. Might be a half shaft CV too, but those don't often break. On front drive cars you can tell they are bad when you turn you get the noise like you are getting, but since your cv's don't turn that's why I'm leaning on wheel bearing.

Keep us posted!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:04 AM
lamboguy
Racer

Hey Joe, great post -- thanks!

I was just in Ft Lauderdale. You don't have one of those 150' yachts, do you?

Well, you've given me some work to do tomorrow, but it's all fun so I'm looking forward to it. I was going to visit the dealer as well, so it should be interesting.

Also interesting about the slipped belt -- is there anything visual on this one? Or is it more of an internal thing?

Anyway, I'm printing your post out and will tackle the problem again tomorrow morning

Thanks!

Fred
Old 12-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lamboguy
Hey Joe, great post -- thanks!

I was just in Ft Lauderdale. You don't have one of those 150' yachts, do you?

Well, you've given me some work to do tomorrow, but it's all fun so I'm looking forward to it. I was going to visit the dealer as well, so it should be interesting.

Also interesting about the slipped belt -- is there anything visual on this one? Or is it more of an internal thing?

Anyway, I'm printing your post out and will tackle the problem again tomorrow morning

Thanks!

Fred
Lol, no, no yacht for me.

I don't think you will see a tire problem but lucky for you you've got your old tires to test.

I forgot to mention- be sure and use jackstands when you get your car in the air - safety first!

Quick Reply: Rolling noise over 60mph from rear of my C6